Oyen Portable External Hard Drive Question

Bigfish

Oyen Portable External Hard Drive Question
« on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:05 am »
I am considering the purchase of the Oyen Portable External Hard Drive to replace the Fire Wire Western Digital Drive I am currently using with my Mac Mini.  I believe some of you are using the Oyen Drive.  Do you use the external power supply or are you powering it from your Mac connection?  Also, I would appreciate your comments about the drive's performance.

Thanks,

Ken

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Oyen Portable External Hard Drive Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:57 am »
Ken

What would be the advantage of using this style drive compared to what you use now?  I am so looking forward to SSD coming waaay down so I can get a 1TB for my music files. 

writeface

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:06 am »
I am considering the purchase of the Oyen Portable External Hard Drive to replace the Fire Wire Western Digital Drive I am currently using with my Mac Mini.  I believe some of you are using the Oyen Drive.  Do you use the external power supply or are you powering it from your Mac connection?  Also, I would appreciate your comments about the drive's performance.

Thanks,

Ken

I have had mine (1 TB) since Jul. I am not using the external ps. I have no complaints about its performance. It does get hot though.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2010, 01:38 am »
I have had mine (1 TB) since Jul. I am not using the external ps. I have no complaints about its performance. It does get hot though.

+1.  I use it purely bus powered.  I have the one with the Oxford 934 chip and is both firewire and USB.  it comes in very handy when i'm demoing DACs, since I have a firewire DAC currently (and therefore run the Oyen via USB) but when demoing USB DACs I simply reattach/re-establish the hard drive as a firewire one.  It does get warm, yes.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2010, 02:07 am »
Hey!

I don't have their portable one. But I do have their 3.5" external enclosure that I bought back in Nov, 2008. I put Hitachi 1TB HDD in it and have been using it as a back up HDD. So far no compliant, respond well, cool and very quiet.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2010, 12:52 pm »
Ken

What would be the advantage of using this style drive compared to what you use now?  I am so looking forward to SSD coming waaay down so I can get a 1TB for my music files.

The WD Drive I am currently using is noisy.

Ken