JVC QL Y3F Low Output MC Cartridge recommendation

agcs57

JVC QL Y3F Low Output MC Cartridge recommendation
« on: 14 Nov 2010, 09:39 pm »
Hello all
I was wondering if someone might be able to chime in and give me a recommendation for a low output MC cart for my JVC QL Y3F I recently purchased on the 'Bay. The unit is current fittted with a Ortofon VME 20D cartridge. I know nothing about this cart.

I had hoped to fit a DL 103R but am concerned about total mass with stock headshell.

I am committed to a low output MC as my budget phono stage is set for a DL 103R or other low output cart.

Thank you for your assistance.

Kind Regards
Andrew
« Last Edit: 14 Nov 2010, 10:54 pm by agcs57 »

Wayner

Re: JVC QL Y3F Low Output MC Cartridge recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 09:57 pm »
I see in my handy catalog that that cartridge weighs 8.5 grams, and has an output of .25mv. I assume you're looking for same output, just lower mass.

How about budget? The Denon 103R is about $379. There is Denon DL-301MKII at .4mv output that weighs only 6 grams with a compliance rating of 13.

Benz Micro MC Gold is $375, has a .4mv output and only weighs 5.7 grams, with a compliance rating of 15.

If you want to go into the Grado woods, they weigh about 6.5grams with .5mv output and a compliance rating of 20.

There are others, but the price tag does the 10X thing.

Also, welcome to the AC.

Wayner  :D

agcs57

« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:24 pm »
Hi Wayner

Thank you for your reply and your welcome.

Budget isn't too much of a concern. I am conscious that it is a $150 turntable, even though I chose to pay more for it  :duh:. Something around the $300-400 mark would probably be the upper end of appropriate - particularly given my low cost phono. 

I believe (I may be mistaken) the DL 103R can be had for $260 from Amazon.

Indicated cartridge weight range is: 14.25 to 19g (inc headshell). The issue is the standard head shell, which I am lead to believe is fairly heavy in and of itself.

Kind Regards
Andrew

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #3 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:47 pm »
If you want to use a 103R I would suggest a small aux counterweight behind the main one. I don't know the weight of the headshell, but the 103 series performs best with arms of around 20 - 30g eff mass. You would probably be able to balance it anyway, without the aux weight. 8g cartridge mass is not excessive and it would be surprising if it wouldn't balance.

I don't know the eff mass of the arm either, but chances are you would get better results with that cartridge with some additional headshell weight. An aux counterweight would allow you to accommodate that. If you're seriously considering something other than the 103R, then Wayner's suggestion of a Benz Gold ($375) is a good one IMO. You should also consider the new ATF3III ($175) and the ATF7 ($300) from Audio Technica. You could also get an AT-OC9MLII within budget. Most low output MCs are more expensive and your options will be limited.
neo

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=A3

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=BENZM

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=LG&Category_Code=DENONCART

agcs57

« Reply #4 on: 15 Nov 2010, 10:27 pm »
Dear Neo
thank you for your detailed reply and links.
I have decided to go for this cart:
Denon DL-301 II Moving Coil Cartridge

Type: Moving coil (MC)
Output: 0.4 mV
Channel Balance: 1dB Max. (1kHz)
Channel Separation: 28 dB Min. (1 kHz)
Output Impedance: 33 ohms
Suggested Loading: 100 ohms min.
Stylus: 0.07 x 0.14 mm special elliptical tip
Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 60 kHz
Tracking Force: 1.4g ± 0.2g (1.2~1.6g)
Compliance 13 x 10-6 cm/dyne
Weight (Mass): 6.0g

which isn't too expensive and also is lower mass.

Kind Regards
Andrew

« Last Edit: 20 Nov 2010, 09:22 pm by agcs57 »