Help with 845 tubes!!!

schw06

Help with 845 tubes!!!
« on: 14 Nov 2010, 09:23 pm »
   As with any search regarding "the best (fill in the blank)" there are lots of conflicting opinions that seem to make things even more unclear. I am trying to sift through information regarding new and NOS 845 tubes for a pair of monoblocks that will be built for me. I am willing to pay up to $800 for a pair of tubes (if absolutely necessary) but would appreciate advice with those experienced with new 845's to see if there are any less expensive tubes that have similar quality to the NOS varietes. In particular, any experience with TJ Music vs. KR Audio vs. Pavane is helpful.
   If not, is there a reasonable place to buy NOS tubes...they all seem to be going for ~$2000/pair. Thank you in advance,
David

Unison845

Re: Help with 845 tubes!!!
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:27 am »
Chinese 845 tubes are pretty reliable and sound very close to the original NOS. I have compared the Shuguang 845, Valve Art, TJ, 845 Amperex copies with my own pair of very little used RCA 845 and GE 845. For the last 20 years that I used them, I have never burned a single Chinese 845. The KR is not the same as the transmitting 845 tube. There are quite a few boutique Chinese 845 that sell for $500/pair, but I have not tried.
I say go for the Shuguang or Chinese Amperex that sell for $150-$180, they are bargain and lasted forever. Save the money and buy the best Japanese output transformer that you can afford and you will have a wonderful 845 amplifier.

JoshK

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 02:37 pm »
Unison's advice is good.  I have no personal experience with 845s, but I read a couple of recent reports where some thought the Pavane 845s were better than the holy grail NOS metal plate 845s. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2010, 04:28 pm »
  The Chinese Shuguang tubes are bright and shouty IMO. Have not heard the new Pavane series, so no comment.  Full Music being the exception. Somewhere between a GE and RCA sound. However shipping from China has been an issue. Meaning damaged tubes. Buy the extended warranty if available. I have to respectfully disagree with Unison 845 that the RCAs and GEs are not superior in every way to the Shuguang standard issue. I would recco the Full Music or Sophia leaning towards the Sophia. Again purchase the one year warranty option.
  The new Pavane series has just come out. A new product. I would wait a while to see what experiences others have had using the tube for an extended period of time. Hopefully since the offering price is fair time will tell and all we be well as the Treasure series of tubes. If you cannot find NOS 845s within your budget check out Sophia.

charles

charles

jeffreybehr

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2010, 05:10 pm »

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:23 pm »
Thanks sir. 

charles

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2010, 05:14 pm »
  The Chinese Shuguang tubes are bright and shouty IMO. Have not heard the new Pavane series, so no comment.  Full Music being the exception. Somewhere between a GE and RCA sound. However shipping from China has been an issue. Meaning damaged tubes. Buy the extended warranty if available. I have to respectfully disagree with Unison 845 that the RCAs and GEs are not superior in every way to the Shuguang standard issue. I would recco the Full Music or Sophia leaning towards the Sophia. Again purchase the one year warranty option.
  The new Pavane series has just come out. A new product. I would wait a while to see what experiences others have had using the tube for an extended period of time. Hopefully since the offering price is fair time will tell and all we be well as the Treasure series of tubes. If you cannot find NOS 845s within your budget check out Sophia.

charles

charles
Hello Rollo,
Hope you are fine. A tube expert from my country told me the TJ845 have low plate dissipation(75W) than the regular 845 NOS tubes.
The usual 845 plate output are 100W, and seems the most 845 amps are expecting 845 tubes with 100W plate, so this TJ845 are a dangerous tube to use in many amps, it will last few hours or may short as you related before.

So boys, stay away from 845 with low plate dissipation(75W) as TJ845.  Other low plate dissipation 845 are the Shuguang 845C (75W).
The Shuguang 845B have the usual 100W plate output.
Regards, Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.