How can you get 10 watts out of a SET?

chadh

How can you get 10 watts out of a SET?
« on: 14 Nov 2010, 07:16 pm »

Just in case there's any confusion, the title of this thread was not intended to generate a technical discussion.  I'm just looking for a little information to help ease my perpetual ignorance.  Not that there's anything wrong with technical discussion...but it just goes over my head.

I'm currently enjoying a 5w/channel 13EM7 based SET amp from Music Reference.  At some stage in the future, I'd like the option to try a little more power (as my speakers allegedly respond well to more wattage).  However, I don't want to give up the characteristics of the sound I currently have, and I don't want to have pay ridiculous amounts of money.  So, if I want to stay with SET amplification, but wanted 10 watts, what kind of options do I have?

The obvious option is to find another of Roger's 13EM7 based amps, and have him convert the pair into monoblocks.  But is there some other sensible approach?  Or are they all prohibitively expensive if one wants that much power from a SET?

Chad

wywires

Re: How can you get 10 watts out of a SET?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2010, 08:36 pm »
Just in case there's any confusion, the title of this thread was not intended to generate a technical discussion.  I'm just looking for a little information to help ease my perpetual ignorance.  Not that there's anything wrong with technical discussion...but it just goes over my head.

I'm currently enjoying a 5w/channel 13EM7 based SET amp from Music Reference.  At some stage in the future, I'd like the option to try a little more power (as my speakers allegedly respond well to more wattage).  However, I don't want to give up the characteristics of the sound I currently have, and I don't want to have pay ridiculous amounts of money.  So, if I want to stay with SET amplification, but wanted 10 watts, what kind of options do I have?

The obvious option is to find another of Roger's 13EM7 based amps, and have him convert the pair into monoblocks.  But is there some other sensible approach?  Or are they all prohibitively expensive if one wants that much power from a SET?

Chad

Lot's of options for more power from SET. Look into one of the 300B amps which range from 10 to 15 watts.

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2010, 08:45 pm »
EL34, KT88 or 6550 can get you in the 8-15W range. I am not a big fan of KT88 in SE application, but the other two tubes should be fine.

chadh

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:06 pm »
Lot's of options for more power from SET. Look into one of the 300B amps which range from 10 to 15 watts.

Thanks.  I had an idea that a 300B amp would work - but I thought they tended to be expensive (and certainly expensive to re-tube).  Any brands particularly worth investigating?

Chad

chadh

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:09 pm »
EL34, KT88 or 6550 can get you in the 8-15W range. I am not a big fan of KT88 in SE application, but the other two tubes should be fine.

Thanks for the input.  Just so I know what's what, these tubes are actually all pentodes, right?  But they're likely to be run as triodes?  Any suggestions as to good, yet affordable, options in these types of amp?

Chad

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:11 pm »
211 and 845 based amps can also make from 15-25W but tend to be pretty expensive.

For a SET to make more than a few watts means a pretty hefty output transformer and sadly they get expensive in a hurry.

Mariusz

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm »
Thanks.  I had an idea that a 300B amp would work - but I thought they tended to be expensive (and certainly expensive to re-tube).  Any brands particularly worth investigating?

Chad

If 300b amp is on your Christmas list, something like Grand Fidility, Elekit, Welborne Labs should be great for the money (used).

Also look into 805 tube based amps. Done right, are very special and are said to provide better bass then 300b (I somewhat agree).

Keep in mind the cost of replacements.
If you get one of these amps, try to find one with fresh or lightly used tubes. These tubes last a long time and should give you years of worry free listening experience. 

Audiovista

• Industry Contributor
    • Vista-Audio
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for the input.  Just so I know what's what, these tubes are actually all pentodes, right?  But they're likely to be run as triodes?  Any suggestions as to good, yet affordable, options in these types of amp?

Chad

Yes, all pentodes. If in ultralinear mode (my personal preference), they can sound very nice. Also, the tubes run at relatively low voltage and load impedance is more or less common and not very high - both facts make it easier to make not-too-expensive output transformer. Seems that this segment is underserved in the US market, only chinese companies come to mind.

JoshK

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:42 pm »
My "E-linear Single Ended KT88" amp does 10 watts.  Its run in Ultra-linear as Audiovista mentions with an additional trick.   Its a DIY project, not a finished product or even a kit.   I mention it as it gives you the idea that it can be done and most who hear this amp like it.  Not the last word in bass production but at modest volumes does bass well.

cujobob

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2010, 10:43 pm »
Mcalister Audio has had bigger wattage SETs for years.  They've gone up in price in recent years due to some casing upgrades, but can be found used for nice prices.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #10 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:19 am »
Roger has made a few RM-100s in single ended style.  I think they were then rated at 30 watts side using two KT88s/channel.

Quicksilver also makes set monos using KT88.

I don't know how these would compare to the EM7 sound.

SET Man

« Reply #11 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:22 am »
Hey!

Simple... bigger tube. :lol: Anyway, tube like 845, 211 will give you 20+ wpc and there are also newer design tubes like those from KR Audio and Emission Lab will give you more power too but they need amp design around it. BTW... my Welborne Labs SET are running with KR Audio 842VHD tubes and put out 18wpc.

Of course you can squeeze out 10wpc with 300B if the amp is design for it.

As JoshK mention... the KT88. Not a true triode but if you want something less expensive and cheaper to replace the tube than a good KT88 SE would be a good choice. And here is an interesting kit from Audio Note Kit...

http://www.audionotekits.com/kit2.html

Doesn't look hard to put it together. I've heard this one but look pretty good for 12wpc. All under $2K. (BTW... I do use Audio Note M1 Pre since 1997) I actually did considered KT88 before I got the Welbone.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

JDUBS

« Reply #12 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:28 am »
If you're not into DIY, talk Tom McNally into building one of his JE Labs EL-34 single-ended amps for you.  VERY reasonably priced (<$500) and should do >10 watts / channel with a KT88 or maybe the 6550.

http://www.wdox.com/

-Jim

wywires

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2010, 12:39 am »

Chad

I recently had a pair of Cary 300SE Signature monos with Emission Labs 300B tubes that I like alot. I sold them only beacuse of a speaker acquisition that requires way more power. These can be had used for under $2K. Electro Harmonix makes very good 300B's for about $250 a pair that will last 4-5 years.

ratso

« Reply #14 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm »
biamp?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2010, 02:26 am »
Antique Sound Lab have great sound amps, the Stereo integrated amps are affordable  starting at 1200 dollars.
http://www.divertech.com/antiquesl.html

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets pets live only two years average.