Over / Under Voltage... Which Is Worse?

toobwacky

Over / Under Voltage... Which Is Worse?
« on: 12 Nov 2010, 02:34 pm »
I have an AC filtration / balanced power conditioner feeding my A-V system. The device has a volt meter with resolution to 1/10th volt. The raw AC coming from the wall outlet measures from 120v down to an occasional low of 112.9v depending on the time of day etc.

I also have an automatic voltage regulator that I can place between the AC wall outlet and my power conditioner. It's rather crude in that it only has 4 levels of regulation and when the raw AC drops to around 115v the regulator steps up the voltage up to a high of 127v.

My question is, which is harder on my A-V electronics - occasional voltage as low as 112.9v or occasional high voltage of 127v?

Thanks!

BobRex

Re: Over / Under Voltage... Which Is Worse?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:10 pm »
Both figures are well withing 10%, so I'd say neither is going be a problem.  Most manufacturers build their power supplies knowing that line voltage isn't truly stable and will vary.  Your variations are mild.

Wayner

Re: Over / Under Voltage... Which Is Worse?
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2010, 09:05 pm »
ASTM specifies voltage in the US and Canada to be +/- 5%. That puts the low value at 114 and the high value to be 126 volts. Anything beyond either voltage is considered "out of tolerance".

I have a Kill-a Watt device in my studio and it has digital voltage readout. I have never seen the voltage go out of the ASTM limits to date.

Wayner