New Avastar received and initial impressions

Bigload

New Avastar received and initial impressions
« on: 12 Nov 2010, 03:55 am »
Just took advantage of the great sale Frank is offering and ordered a new hybrid Avastar with remote, buffered tape and HT bypass.  Planning to use with my Salk HT2TL's, Insight+ Double 260 amp and Oppo NuForce disk player for 2 channel, while integrating into my HT system utilizing the buffered tape circuits and bypass switch for movies.  As I have always found, Frank was more than helpful in explaining everything and helping me figure it all out, which was most appreciated.  This will be my first experience with tubes of any kind.  Can't wait to see what that is all about.  I don't see many posts on this preamp, so when I get it all running, I will be sure and post my impressions.  Based on my other AVA equipment experience, this one should be a dandy. 

Now wondering how my Double 260 would compare with a new Fet Valve Ultra+ 350 in this set up??   Comments appreciated.

« Last Edit: 8 Dec 2010, 04:31 am by Bigload »

martyo

Re: New Avastar ordered-
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2010, 09:43 am »
Should be awesome, we'll be waiting for your listening impressions. :thumb:

Toka

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2010, 05:07 pm »
Nice system you are going to have there...color me jealous!

floresjc

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2010, 04:05 am »
Big Load -

I bought a used Ultra 550, and it replaced a Double 440. Very worthwhile upgrade for me. Frank's solid state gear is no slouch, and the Fet Valve was the first piece of gear I owned that had any tubes in it at all. I was very impressed and his hybrid gear is very low maintenance, just turn it on and play. Consider me a convert, its AVA hybrid design for me from here on out.

Bigload

Re: New Avastar received and initial impressions
« Reply #4 on: 8 Dec 2010, 04:28 am »
I wish I could say I was amazed when I plugged my new AvaStar in tonight.  But I was not amazed.  It was just what I have come to expect from Van Alstine..... sonic perfection.  This is a really, really nice sounding piece of equipment.  I honestly thought my system would be hard to get much noticable improvement out of.  I have worked hard to get it where it is and I have been very pleased with how it performs.  But I really wanted to get a hybrid preamp in the system and see what happened.  So as I said, I ordered the AvaStar and it came today.  Listened to a few CD's tonight (Mozart, Chris Botti and Lucia Micarelli) through an Oppo NuForce as well as a Marantz SA8003.  So nice!  What strikes me is the way it brings every tiny detail but retains the smooth, velvety sound that I was looking for.  The room is completely full of sound along with the sense the room just got 100 times larger.  Seems to me every single aspect of the listening experience just got turned up....lows, mids, highs, clarity, imaging, sound stage, smoothness, spaceousness, acoustic/percussion decay, all very improved.  This preamp is really a game changer.   

And as far as the HT bypass switch being on the back.... not a big deal.  It works great.  Had to balance up my front speakers a little, but the surround system sounds great through the HT bypass. 

Once again Frank, thanks for a really great product.  You did a nice job on this one for sure. 

UPDATE-  I also just received a Vision EC DAC from AVA.  Got it placed in the rack and all plugged in.  It was a nice addition and definately made some improvement.  However, the biggest impact by far came from the AvaStar hybrid preamp. 
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2010, 04:30 am by Bigload »