N.E.W. DCA-66 battery powered amp

ZENTISH

N.E.W. DCA-66 battery powered amp
« on: 11 Nov 2010, 10:01 pm »
   Hi all,  I have a friend who owns a N.E.W. DCA-66 amp that has a battery pack containing four 12v -18ah SLA batteries. The question is, after asking around town who sells them we found a store that has SLA 12v- 55ah- gel batteries for a real good price ($25.00 each) and would like to know if there is any reason not to use them?
   They are larger than the panasonic batteries that came with the amp and will not fit in the battery pack, but my friend says he doesn't mind to have them out in the open.
   Also the ones we are looking at are gel batteries and the old batteries are not, I don't know if that makes a difference or not? The store owner who has these batteries says that he got them surplus for a good price and that is why they are about half the price of the panasonics which he also has, that would fit in the battery pack.
  So I'm confused (normal condition) can anyone help?? 

Thanks, Tish

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Re: N.E.W. DCA-66 battery powered amp
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2010, 10:07 pm »
Many SLA batteries are AGM style lead acid.  If they are Gel, just make sure the charger is designed for that style of battery.  The charger that I use for my 12V batteries have AGM, Gel and Flooded modes for charging.

If you research the Panasonic original batteries that should tell what style of charger is being used in the N.E.W.