BRYSTON BDP-1/2 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK/REVIEWS

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 DIGITAL PLAYER FEEDBACK
« Reply #240 on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:03 pm »
cool! let us know what the Brystoneers have to say.

...and James, it's ok that you are sitting beside your Bryston gear.

the Bryston people are relaxed, eh 8)

al.

Napalm

« Reply #241 on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:08 pm »
Gee's tough crowd - thank god I'm not in show biz :D

james

Naah we're nice, we haven't asked you yet to look like Angelina Jolie  :lol:

BTW the lady with the headphones is willing to demonstrate some Bryston gear too  :green:

Nap.

werd

« Reply #242 on: 22 Dec 2010, 07:10 pm »

BTW the lady with the headphones is willing to demonstrate some Bryston gear too  :green:

Nap.

well i was going to buy one until i seen that infomercial......who's the janitor talking about the bdp?     lol

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
« Reply #243 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:01 pm »

Uhm... Ew! Why not a truly gorgeous woman like

Nap.

Works too...

Napalm

« Reply #244 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:29 pm »
My bet is that for next year's Christmas we'll have a major software update for the BDP-1 making it compatible with DLNA servers. So you could play files from your NAS box too.

Nap.  :xmas:

P.S. To speed up things I'll ask James to pass this link to his software engineers: http://djmount.sourceforge.net/

Napalm

« Reply #245 on: 22 Dec 2010, 09:35 pm »
Mousey, nice pic but she doesn't have what it takes to firmly hold a pair of headphones  :wink:

TomS

« Reply #246 on: 22 Dec 2010, 10:14 pm »
My bet is that for next year's Christmas we'll have a major software update for the BDP-1 making it compatible with DLNA servers. So you could play files from your NAS box too.

Nap.  :xmas:

P.S. To speed up things I'll ask James to pass this link to his software engineers: http://djmount.sourceforge.net/
Nice!

1oldguy

« Reply #247 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:08 am »
Mousey, nice pic but she doesn't have what it takes to firmly hold a pair of headphones  :wink:

I hear ya....It's the true test of an audiophile woman.......Well ...my type anyway. :D Sue me..I like big eyes. :thumb:

Napalm

« Reply #248 on: 23 Dec 2010, 12:26 pm »

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #249 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:03 pm »
Hi Folks,

Based on more research apparently I am not completely wrong regarding streaming.  There are a number of versions of such. The mistake I made is I must use the two words ‘wireless streaming’ (wi-fi) together when referring to issues of noise and dropouts etc. when streaming high resolution files.

Streaming using wired connections – Ethernet – is not an issue and can easily handle up to 192/24 files - this is what Linn is doing in their systems and I assume others as well.

Wireless streaming (wi-fi) can be problematic because walls and barriers within the house can prevent stable transmissions and other home network traffic is also an issue. The two-band wireless routers would help in this case I think but in my set-up the 5GHz band is much weaker than the 2.3GHz and has a difficult time reaching the end of the house.  I guess repeaters would help in this case.  Also some devices like early versions of the iTouch do not seem to work on 5GHz wireless networks.

Anyway we did not include wireless streaming in our BDP-1 Digital Player due to noise issues in the box and we wanted a hard wired connection for the BDP-1 to make sure we get reliable and dependable signal transfer from the music source - much more critical with higher resolution files than standard 44.1 files.

Just a comment – I do not want it to appear as if the only right way to listen to high-resolution files is the direction Bryston has taken.  There are obviously other ways to get high quality high-resolution digital playback in your home.  My hope with the BDP-1 was it would provide our customers with a straight forward ‘plug and play’ option without all the computer and network savvy required to assemble a properly working digital playback system.  Getting the computers, soundcards, network configurations etc. all configured to make sure your getting bit-perfect playback is not an easy task.  Also, I think the more companies promoting and presenting customers with more and more options to allow them to playback reference quality recordings in their homes the better. Hopefully it can assist in making more and more people aware of the great pleasures listening to high quality music can bring to their lives.

james

Xinon

« Reply #250 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:21 pm »
I hooked up my Bdp1 to my Bda1 just 2 hours ago , and is still smiling .
This is the best digital sound I have ever heard , its fantastic and just sounds right ,thankyou  :D
I have never been this exited over a peace of hifi equipment ever , this is a winner  :thumb:

Greetings from Norway

Napalm

« Reply #251 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:23 pm »

Anyway we did not include wireless streaming in our BDP-1 Digital Player due to noise issues in the box and we wanted a hard wired connection for the BDP-1 to make sure we get reliable and dependable signal transfer from the music source.

That is not a problem. You can always attach this to its Ethernet port:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WET610N

and it instantly becomes dual band wireless enabled. You can even keep the Linksys box at some distance from your audio gear.

This is exactly how I made my Playstation work on 5GHz band.

Yes 5GHz is absorbed more by walls and other obstacles. However it has plenty of non-overlapping bands to chose from so you can easily find a frequency that's not clashing with your neighbors. 2.4 has a more limited choice and they are overlapping. I can see all my neighbours crowding that band while there's nobody in the 5GHz band around my house.

What would be important is to make the BDP support the DLNA protocol. Cable or wireless, it's an important addition to its capabilities.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #252 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:24 pm »
I hooked up my Bdp1 to my Bda1 just 2 hours ago , and is still smiling .
This is the best digital sound I have ever heard , its fantastic and just sounds right ,thankyou  :D
I have never been this exited over a peace of hifi equipment ever , this is a winner  :thumb:

Greetings from Norway

Thank you Xinon for your kind comments - it the music that matters for sure!

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #253 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:27 pm »
That is not a problem. You can always attach this to its Ethernet port:

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/UK/en/products/WET610N

and it instantly becomes dual band wireless enabled. You can even keep the Linksys box at some distance from your audio gear.

This is exactly how I made my Playstation work on 5GHz band.

Yes 5GHz is absorbed more by walls and other obstacles. However it has plenty of non-overlapping bands to chose from so you can easily find a frequency that's not clashing with your neighbors. 2.4 has a more limited choice and they are overlapping. I can see all my neighbours crowding that band while there's nobody in the 5GHz band around my house.

What would be important is to make the BDP support the DLNA protocol. Cable or wireless, it's an important addition to its capabilities.

Nap.

Hi Nap,

I realize there are many options going forward but I think it has to be remembered that the BDP-1 was first and formost an attempt to get the music right.  I think we have accomlished that and I realize if customers want all these other features some may be doable some may not - if the performance suffers it will not be allowed in the BDP-1.

james

Napalm

« Reply #254 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:40 pm »
Hi Nap,

I realize there are many options going forward but I think it has to be remembered that the BDP-1 was first and formost an attempt to get the music right.  I think we have accomlished that and I realize if customers want all these other features some may be doable some may not - if the performance suffers it will not be allowed in the BDP-1.

james

James, promise me that while at CES you will visit these guys booth:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/12/23/lg_bd690/

Streaming Blu-Ray means the box should be able of at least 40,000 Kbps. Stereo 24/192 needs only 1,200 Kbps. Let's say 2,000 to make place for a good read-ahead buffer and error correction.

Seeing is believing. Lol.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #255 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:48 pm »
James, promise me that while at CES you will visit these guys booth:

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/12/23/lg_bd690/

Streaming Blu-Ray means the box should be able of at least 40,000 Kbps. Stereo 24/192 needs only 1,200 Kbps. Let's say 2,000 to make place for a good read-ahead buffer and error correction.

Seeing is believing. Lol.

Nap.

Yes but my point is it is just not about the ability to play higher resolution files - just as an amplifier is not just about amplifiying the input - there are a lot of other issues that have to be addressed to wring the last bit of performance out of the digital files.  Things like power supply integrity, noise floor issues, ground planes, circuit tracing, impedance matching, etc. are all as important.  There is much more going on in the BDP-1 than the ability to pass high res files.

james

Napalm

« Reply #256 on: 23 Dec 2010, 02:58 pm »
James, I didn't suggest that you buy an LG box  :o

I'm trying to suggest that once you see the LG box in action, you'll decide that the BDP should also be perfectly capable of using DLNa for audio which is much less demanding than video.

All you need is a software change - see the link I posted earlier.

Nap.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #257 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:04 pm »
James, I didn't suggest that you buy an LG box  :o

I'm trying to suggest that once you see the LG box in action, you'll decide that the BDP should also be perfectly capable of using DLNa for audio which is much less demanding than video.

All you need is a software change - see the link I posted earlier.

Nap.

Ok - will do.  :surrender:
james

Napalm

« Reply #258 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:11 pm »
 :hyper:

Welly123

« Reply #259 on: 23 Dec 2010, 03:28 pm »

I am very relieved to hear (see) you say this James, and I totally agree. "Streamers" are ten-a-penny, I have at least three (PS3, Oppo BDP83, ViewSonic VMP74 and a few other "boxes" including servers with UPnP/DLNA capability) and there are many other options if I wanted to go this route. BUT, the BDP-1 is different from the crowd, and this is one reason that I was prepared to pay a premium. If you are able to add features and functions with "zero playback quality impact" then great, but I for one do not need any focus on this and would prefer focus on even better playback using existing methods (if better is possible).

Please don't be distracted by folk who want bells and whistles and continue to focus "on the music", as you have been doing.

Regards

Russell