Linus 2

JFT

Linus 2
« on: 8 Mar 2004, 09:44 pm »
Here's a forced ranking of all the speakers I have owned,  from my most favorite to least favorite: 1) Magnepan 1.6QR,  2) Eros MKII (Wayne Jaeschke design),  3) Linus 2,  4) Vandersteen 2Ce Sig,  5) Klipsch Cornwall,  6) Vandersteen 1C,  7) Bottlehead Straight 8,  8 ) Infinity Reference 2000.3, and 9) Bose 201 Series IV. The Linus ranking at #3 assumes it's set up with a subwoofer. With no sub it would fall between the Vandersteen 1C and the Straight 8.

Except for ranking the Bose last, it was hard to do this ranking because each of the above speakers has its own unique personality, and a lower ranked speaker might  be far better in one area (e.g. midrange clarity) than another that I ranked higher. To further complicate matters, some speakers, like the Vandersteen 2Ce, are like a good B- student; they do nothing exceptionally well, but they don't do anything badly either. Others, like the Bottlehead Straight 8, do some things very well, but they have an Achilles heel (in this case a very obnoxous 10dB treble peak at 3khz, which Bottehead later fixed with a revised crossover design after I had sold mine).

Back to the Linus. It's a budget speaker in one regard: it uses inexpensive drivers ($20 woofers), which predetermine that it can't perform at the potential level of a speaker that use far more expensive drivers, like the Eros, ($60 woofers), the Excellarray, etc. But the Vifa woofers and Silver Flute tweeters used in the Linus are very good budget drivers, and the well designed Linus 2 crossover using quality components does minimize the disadvantages of low-priced drivers; THe Linus 2's don't sound like budget speakers. I hear only two characteristics I would like to improve: 1) With some program material the lower midrange sounds a bit too warm for my ears, and 2) The F3 point is in the 70's, which requires a subwoofer to experience the full impact of most music. However, I was able to mostly overcome the midrange issue by carefully choosing a synergistic amp to drive them (the Consonance Ella tube amp) and by lining the cabinet interior surfaces with eggcrate acoustic foam in addition to the recommended polyester stuffing. The low bass limitation is overcome with the addition of a subwoofer, and the good news here is that the Linus' sealed cabinet design enhances the transition from main speakers to the sub.

Now for the things I like about the Linus:

Soundstage: They sound really big. With the volume cranked up for the Saint Saens Organ Symphony #3 it's not exactly like being in Notre Dame cathedral, but it's the the closest I've heard with any two channel stereo system. Very much like the bigger Magnepan models in this regard. In spite of this impression of size, on some more intimately recorded disks, like Patricia Barber's Modern Cool, the sound is very focused. Her voice comes from dead center with no hint of sound from either speaker. The sweet spot is large. Even when I sit directly in front of one speaker, the center image, though not a focused, is still clearly between the speakers.

Freedom from distortion: There's someting to be said for ten woofers moving in and out one tenth of the excursion distance a single same-sized woofer cone would be moving to product the same level, especially when listening to music played loudly. Additonally, the Silver Flute ribbon tweeters have that characteristic ribbon sound (or the lack thereof). They are not quite up to the quality level of the Magnepans or the Eros' $80 Scan Speak 9500 tweeter, but they do surpass the Vandersteen's treble clarity by a considerable degree.

Efficiency: The 95dB efficiency rating understates how loud these speaker really do sound at typical listening distances. The Ella amp does 20 watts in triode mode or 40 watts in ultralinear mode. I have not found the need to use the 40 watt mode with any material including large scale symphonic, choral, and organ music.

Dynamics and speed: They surpass all the other speakers in dynamics, and all but the Magnepans in speed. I'm especially impressed with the attack sound of plucked strings, like the acoustic guitars in Nils Lofgren's Acoustic Live album. It has much more impact than any of the other speakers I'm using for comparison.

Ease of construction: This is important with a line array. The Linus sealed design with braces between each two woofers, but single layer 3/4" mdf construction, is simply a process of building a long narrow box and routing holes in it. Additionally, the single layer mdf construction means they are light enough for my wife and I to carry one up the stairs by ourselves. A 200 pound speaker that I couldn't move around wouldn't be much use to me.

Price: Twenty Vifa woofers, sixteen Silver Flute tweeters, plus decent quality crossover parts for $900 would be hard to beat. The total cost, including $150 of veneering, was about $1,250.  I did replace the supplied Solen caps with Northcreek Zen and Harmony caps, and some of the Madisound air core inductors with Jantzen copper foil inductors. The Northcreek caps offered a clearly audible improvement over the Solens.

Appearance: Men say "WOW". Women ask my wife, "You let him put those big things in here?", to which I have trained her to reply "Size does matter, you know!"

Dealer integrity: When I called Rick Craig to ask some pointed questions about such things as the audible effect of the low priced drivers, the relatively high F3 point, etc. I expected a sales pitch, but was surprised by his honesty. He did not present the Linus as "the world's best speaker", and the way he described the sound was exactly the way I hear them today after taking the plunge.

These speakers definitely are keepers.  :D

ooheadsoo

Linus 2
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2004, 02:21 am »
Thanks for the fun to read review!  Makes me wish I had more money already.  By the way, would you mind giving more impressions comparing the Eros and the Linus?

doug s.

• makin' music
Linus 2
« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2004, 03:12 am »
jft, have ya ever heard the bottlehead straight 8 w/the revised x-over?  if not, could ya imagine how it mite sound/rank in yer li'l survey w/o the 10db 3khz peak ya noted?  i've always been curious about these...

thanks,

doug s.

JFT

Linus 2
« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2004, 02:57 pm »
Quote from: ooheadsoo
Thanks for the fun to read review!  Makes me wish I had more money already.  By the way, would you mind giving more impressions comparing the Eros and the Linus?

It's like comparing apples and oranges, but here goes: The Eros is a true "high end" speaker. Many of my diy-oriented friends are skeptical of anything sold in an audio salon, but some of the better speakers they sell in the $3,000 and above range are wonderful sounding machines. All these good speakers have some things in common: 1) They use expensive drivers and crossover parts, 2) They are well designed by someone who knows what he's doing, and 3) They have hefty cabinets with carefully designed bracing. The Eros has all  of these. To my ears it betters the Vandersteen 3 Signature, which sells for $3,600. It does all the things you want a speaker to do - soundstage, octave-to-octave tonal balance, bass extension, midrange to die for, treble clarity, etc. I ranked it below the Magnepan 1.6 only under the assumption that you're using a good 100+ watt tube amp with the Maggie (typically a 4-5K item) because they are so inefficient. With my Ella I would place the Eros at the #1 spot on my preference list. The Eros 90.5 dB efficiency and tube friendly crossover make it usable with any good tube amp of about 8 watts or better. I like it best with my 8 watt 300B single ended triode amp.

The Linus 2 does the line array thing which the Ella doesn't do. It's more efficient, sounds bigger with large scale recordings, and is voiced a bit warmer in the lower midrange. The Eros' bass extension makes a subwoofer unnecessary for most music listening. Everything is clearer. For example, the brushed cymbals in Patricia Barber's Modern Cool album sound more like a shshshshshs on the Linus veruus a sssssssssss on the Eros. Everything is heard against a darker background. The difference is a matter of degree, not good versus bad, but the Eros to my ears is a better speaker. If I could only have one, I would choose the Eros over the Linus.

JFT

Linus 2
« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2004, 03:38 pm »
Quote from: doug s.
jft, have ya ever heard the bottlehead straight 8 w/the revised x-over?  if not, could ya imagine how it mite sound/rank in yer li'l survey w/o the 10db 3khz peak ya noted?  i've always been curious about these...

thanks,

doug s.

I have built and modified a Foreplay and a pair of Paramours in addition to the Straight 8, and I'm a big Bottlehead fan. But I believe the Straight 8 in its original incarnation was not their best product. It did one thing really well; it would play at room filling volume with a 3 watt SET amp. Ths bass is good and quick. Bass extension is really good for a speaker with 5" woofers. The original crossover when the Straight 8 was first introduced was a first-order with a single Alpha Core inductor in the woofer circuit and a single Solen cap in the tweeter section. The diy motto that "simpler is better" doesn't always work with speaker crossover design.

The original crossover was later modified to include a second-order woofer crossover and a first-order tweeter crossover with a smaller value cap plus a zoebel circuit to tame the 3hz peak. This took care of my objection to the sound, and the ones I have heard with the new crossover sound very good to me. I still would like to see the $16 titanium dome tweeter replaced with a good ribbon. To my ears, with the current tweeter, the brushed cymbals on the album I referred to elsewhere sound lile a SHSHSHSHS, versus a shshsshsh on the Linus, and a ssssssssss on the Eros. I believe I read somewhere that Doc B is working on a revised crossover for use with the Aurum Cantus tweeter, which would increase the cost by a couple of hundred but would move the sound quality up a notch or two.

To answer your question about ranking directly, with the revised crossover I would still place the Straight 8 below the Vandersteen 1C unless I were using a low powered SET amp. Three watts simply will not drive the Vandie to a room filling level, and I would go with the 8 in this case.

But  this is largely a matter of personal taste, and many others would disagree with me and I respect their opinions. If you're interested, there are lots of Straight 8's out there, and you should float an audition request on the Bottlehead forum stating where you live and that you would like to hear a pair. Diy folks love to show off their stuff, and if there's anyone in your area I'm sure they would invite you to hear theirs.