DC Power Conditioning

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
DC Power Conditioning
« on: 10 Nov 2010, 01:16 pm »
Who has it?  What can be done?  How important is it?  Does it make a difference for off the grid equipment? 

Lets hear it!

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: DC Power Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2010, 01:00 am »
Very interesting.  Nobody.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:36 pm »
Perhaps nobody understands the question  :scratch: You mean conditioning for battery supplies?

TomS

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:40 pm »
Actually, I recall there were some who chose to put a Felix on the output side of a linear power supply used for Squeezebox 5V DC.  Not sure what that filtering accomplishes on a regulated DC line.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2010, 11:45 pm »

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2010, 01:23 am »
Perhaps nobody understands the question  :scratch: You mean conditioning for battery supplies?

Yes sir! 

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2010, 01:24 am »
Actually, I recall there were some who chose to put a Felix on the output side of a linear power supply used for Squeezebox 5V DC.  Not sure what that filtering accomplishes on a regulated DC line.

So the Felix that I'm building can be used on DC supplys?  Maybe Occam will chime in here and expand on the Felix used in DC applications. 

Occam?

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2010, 07:30 am »
Well... I thought the whole point of battery supplies is that they don't have noise in the first place. You could get noise injected from chargers, or from one component to another (if more than one is connected to the same supply). Regardless, any filtering would need to be able to cope with higher current draw relative to a filter designed for mains-level voltages.

srb

« Reply #9 on: 15 Nov 2010, 08:16 am »
Well... I thought the whole point of battery supplies is that they don't have noise in the first place. You could get noise injected from chargers, or from one component to another (if more than one is connected to the same supply).

Exactly.  If you have an isolated (from the charger) battery supply connected to a single component, it's a done deal.  Nothing to condition.

Steve

raindance

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:37 pm »
But you can still have noise coming in from the outside world between the battery supply and the preamp/amplifier/DAC whatever circuit you are using. In this case you would use decoupling caps placed as close as possible to the components affected or build your PCB in a multilayer format sandwiched between power and ground planes.

Cap sizing would depend on current demands. Usually a largish size bypassed by one a tenth to a hundredth of the size...

Unless you get really clever and shield the case and use lossy line or feedthrough filters for every input/output to the box. This would mostly apply to very wide bandwidth designs that work way outside the audio spectrum.

BPT

• Industry Participant
  • Balanced Power Technologies
« Reply #11 on: 25 Jan 2011, 08:25 pm »
Look at the new Bybee Music Rails http://www.bybeelabs.com/Home_page.html for DC filtering.