How to cure Listening Fatigue (HINT: Get a Threshold)

Freo-1

One item many of audio fools (hint: me) struggle with is listening fatigue.  It seems that no matter what you get for equipmet/speakers, most of time, you eventually get to experience it.  I personally think that most of the knock that the tube folks have against solid state is just that: Much of the Solid State gear that is clear and crisp eventually gets to become a bit tiring.

For years, preferred tubes over solid state primarily due to the listening fatigue from solid state.  However, the mult chaanel world for movies and hi-rez sound almost demands solid state. Also, in order to get realistic playback levels for symphonic reproduction (assuming we are talking non-horns), one really needs lots of power to achieve that.

Well, after going through a stable of amps over the years, I found the cure: Theshold. I recently picked up a restored STASIS-2 amp for the Legacy Signature III's, and no more listening fatigue.  Amazing! The Nakamichi PA-7 is very close, but not quite as good as the Threshold for the mids and HF.  Wound up using the PA-7 for the bass.