Newbie question, kids and VSA's

wowchad

• Tewco, Inc.
Newbie question, kids and VSA's
« on: 9 Nov 2010, 08:31 pm »
Hello all I just signed up today.  8) I was glad to stumble across this site and fellow VSA lovers.

My VSA's are all in storage here at my shop.
With having 4 younger kids and have waited to bring them home until said kids were old enough to stop putting GI Joe's and Barbie dolls into my KLF-20 bass ports.
Right when I think its safe another concern popped up in my head...what's the worse a teenager could do to my beloved VSA's?
I'm worried that being part of the main (for now) HT system will leave the temptation to either crank them up too loud or hurt them in some other way.

So when I sit the kids down and tell them the do's and don'ts what should I focus on them NOT doing to these nice, expensive speakers? Chad

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
Re: Newbie question, kids and VSA's
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2010, 08:45 pm »
No rap music.  VSA speakers have a built in sensor that initiates a system shut down when rap music is played through them.  Mine also have a Kenny G sensor  :o

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #2 on: 10 Nov 2010, 12:22 am »
Be new here, feel welcome.

Sure 4 kids are a tough job, you can't controle them all at the same time.

Your future problem you think to gonna have is simple.
Just connect the wright amp to your VSA and they will be protected by the amp.

I have a 18 year old daughter having partys and using my VSA's as a disco.
Boy, the first time I was worried for sure. What a level. Don't understand why they play so loud these days, than I remebered we did the same at their age.
Years ago (40) we had only tube-amps at 100 watt with distortion at high level.
We survived and also did our gear.

Don't worrie, be happy with your kids growing up as long as you tell them to respect your VSA's, because Albert made them.

Amen.

Cor

JackD201

« Reply #3 on: 10 Nov 2010, 09:57 am »
They can take a lickin' Chad. I've thrown some humdingers myself with absolutely no problem, as long as as Ceedee says the amps don't clip. I'm sure the teenagers will know when to back off especially if they see how much you value your system  :thumb:

Holli82

« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2010, 05:03 am »
No rap music.  VSA speakers have a built in sensor that initiates a system shut down when rap music is played through them.  Mine also have a Kenny G sensor  :o

Mmmmmm

My VR-9's seem right at home with Snoop Dogg :duh:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2010, 01:49 pm »
Yikes....a travesty of the Nth degree!  :o

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2010, 09:24 pm »
If your amp has speaker output fuses, you can choose the appropriate sized quick blow fuses to protect your speakers.  You can select a fuse for any level less than or equal to the rated power the speakers can handle or the amp can produce.  For example, you could fuse a 200W system for 100W, or less, depending on the amperage of the fuse selected, to protect your speakers.  That way the fuses blow before your speakers blow.

Right when I think its safe another concern popped up in my head...what's the worse a teenager could do to my beloved VSA's?
I'm worried that being part of the main (for now) HT system will leave the temptation to either crank them up too loud or hurt them in some other way.
Chad