Rega Mira 3 matched with Totem Hawks

sacad

Rega Mira 3 matched with Totem Hawks
« on: 8 Nov 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if this would be a good match.

Stu Pitt

Re: Rega Mira 3 matched with Totem Hawks
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:16 am »
Should be.  Depending on how loud you want it to go, room size and acoustics.  What's your source?

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2010, 06:25 pm »
The Mira 3 / Hawk is a damned fine match.

The funny bit is that I can't stand any other Totem when attached to a Mira 3.  For whatever reason though, it works real well with the Hawks. 

Enjoy!

Stu Pitt

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2010, 07:21 pm »
Do you have the Apollo yet?  If not, you may want to hold off.  Rega is releasing a DAC soon.  According to a Rega rep on Pink Fish Media, it should be available here in the US around Christmas.  They're supposed to go into full production right around now.

A few UK dealers heard it and said it gives the Naim DAC a run for its money.  It should be $995.

Here's a link to the thread I started on Pink Fish -

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76840

sacad

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2010, 08:28 pm »
Thanks - Zero and Stu Pitt

This was a great help - I will be picking them up and will wait for the new Apollo.

sacad

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:35 pm »
I found a used system 1-2 yrs old for about 3k that I considering to buy - Would you consider this a good buy?

Rega apollo - CD player
Rega Mira 3 - Int AMP
Totmen Hawks Speakers

Also since I don't have a CD collection most of my music is on hard disk - my question is what additional equipment would I require to use my network to access and play music that on my hard disc and through the internet.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #6 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:30 am »
I'm not sure how much Hawks typically sell for second hand.  Apollos usually go for around $500, give or take $50.  I've seen Mira 3s for between $400 and $600.  I don't think it's a deal you can't refuse, but there's a lot of factors that go into price - condition of the gear, age, shipping costs, boxes and manuals, seller's reliability, etc.

If most of your music is on hard disc and not CD, you should probably look into a good DAC instead of a CD player.  There are a lot of good DACs out there.  The Rega DAC that I was speaking about earlier should be one of them.  It's reportedly better than the Saturn.  I can't vouche for it as I haven't heard one, and the only ones who have a select few dealers in the UK.  If you can wait until around Christmas and really like the Rega sound, I definitely think it's worth waiting for.  I'm waiting for one.

The Mira 3 is a very good integrated amp.  However, I don't think amplification is really Rega's strongest point.  Their sources are IMO.  I don't know your budget and what you're really looking for sonically, so I can't make many recommendations.  If you've heard Rega and really like what it does, have you heard/considered Naim?  The Nait 5i-2 can be found on Audiogon for a bit less than $1k.  It's a far better integrated than the Mira 3 IMO.  I like the Mira 3, so that should say something.  The Nait 5i and Apollo sound far better to my ears than the Mira 3 and Apollo.

Just throwing some ideas out there.  Rega and Naim have a unique way of presenting music.  Rega's sources fit into a lot of systems very well.  Their amplification is a bit more polarizing.  Naim is far more polarizing IMO - people either love it or hate it.  Naim may well be the most polarizing audio brand out there.  Just about everyone respects it, but it's not a universally loved line.

The Nait will also drive Totem speakers very well.  Hope I don't sound like I'm pushing it on you.  I just think it's a great amp that most Rega fans really like too.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #7 on: 11 Nov 2010, 02:42 am »
The Hawks usually list for $1000 to $1500 depending on age and condition. $3k sounds fairly high for the group IMO.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #8 on: 11 Nov 2010, 03:49 am »
I thought that's what the Hawks typically list for, but wasn't sure.

sacad

« Reply #9 on: 11 Nov 2010, 07:41 pm »
Thanks  - Gents

The equipment is about a year old

I will be auditioning the set on Tuesday,  Will probably pick up the Mira3 and Hawks and will wait for the new DAC. 

Once again thanks for getting back to me.