Lesson learned

werd

Lesson learned
« on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:13 pm »
Here is good advice, always turn your gear off when changing out rca cords. The other night i was changing out my rca's from my source to pre. Took the rca out of my pre and dropped it, with it live hanging from my bda. Well to my dismay i heard a noise that was extremely electrical and the kind you do not want to hear. I picked up my rca and the rca plug was black. Was able to clean off the char and the plug was only slight damaged.

Everything still works but it was a real heart stopper there for a second. Thats the first time anything like that has happend to me in decades of doing this.

If anything i think it was my 14B that offered protection. I think it came in contact with my other rca plugged into the 14B

turkey

Re: Lesson learned
« Reply #1 on: 8 Nov 2010, 03:30 pm »
Here is good advice, always turn your gear off when changing out rca cords.

This shouldn't even need to be said. After all, would you try changing your sparkplugs while the engine is running?

mjosef

« Reply #2 on: 8 Nov 2010, 09:12 pm »
 :lol:
Or jump out your car to grab a coffee with the car still in drive... :lol:

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 8 Nov 2010, 09:29 pm »
I don't understand how your interconnect got zapped? Do you have a chassis of something connected to the hot?

Wayner

werd

« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2010, 12:05 am »

^^^^
I dropped the rca hangin out my bda and it landed on my rca into my14b from my pre. Both plugs came in contact and it zapped. everything was on. Thats all i can tell you.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #5 on: 10 Nov 2010, 04:36 am »
This shouldn't even need to be said. After all, would you try changing your sparkplugs while the engine is running?
There are a lot of backyard mechanics who have tried it. Once.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2010, 08:46 am »
:lol:
Or jump out your car to grab a coffee with the car still in drive... :lol:

I did that that once to stop and chat with a buddy, but hey when you're not use to an automatic these things happen.  In retrospect it was quite funny watching the driverless van jump the curb cross the median slowly heading towards on coming traffic on a very busy road at peak hours.

turkey

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2010, 06:51 pm »
I did that that once to stop and chat with a buddy, but hey when you're not use to an automatic these things happen.  In retrospect it was quite funny watching the driverless van jump the curb cross the median slowly heading towards on coming traffic on a very busy road at peak hours.

When I was in high school, i worked at a self-serve gas station, and I saw a woman come in 3 days in a row and leave her car running with the trans in drive. Each time it headed across the street. On the third day it didn't make it because a tractor-trailer got in the way.