78's

jesserparker

78's
« on: 8 Mar 2004, 07:13 am »
any of you out there playing 78 rpm's still?  if so, what kind of setup are you using?

as of now i feel i have the choice of either buying a secondhand thorens or the like and having an entire second tt dedicated to 78's, or. . .

if i could in any way add a new controller to my existing outboard motor to add adjustable 78rpm to it. . .  or something of that variety.

anyhow, just wondered if and what rigs any of you out there are running for 78.  thanks

Malcolm Fear

78's
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:34 am »
I bought some 78's at a garage sale on the weekend. 6 Sinatras, a Lonnie Donegan, Bing Crosby and Grace Kelly - True Love and a couple of Winnifred Atwell.

I've been buying 78's for years. I use any old 12 series Dual (1210 up to 1229). They have 3 speeds and automatic. I use an old Shure M91 cartridge body with their round fat stylus (for 78's). Goes great.
 I have a Linn Sondek for vinyl (I am starting to get twitchy over a Teres, and am hoping to audition one soon). All of this feeds into an AKSA set up (refer to Aspen Amplifiers on this site) and Diatone full range speakers.

randog

78's
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2004, 02:42 am »
I inherited a bunch of 78's from my mom recently (figuratively... she's still alive!  :D ) I love the old glass records. I have an AR ES-1 turntable and I think if I have a machined sleeve for the belt spindle at the right diameter, I'd be able to play them. Anyone tried this?

Carlman

78's
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2004, 03:02 am »
If you look on needledoctor.com, there's this pulley thing you can get that might work... check it out: http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.649/it.A/id.1824/.f

Hope that helps.

-Carl

Scott F.

78's
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2004, 04:14 am »
Like the other guys, I've been collecting for a while. I use a dedicated turntable for my 78's. It's a Dual 1229 with a Shure V15 and the mono cart. Like Malcom said, there are alot of Duals that play 78's.

No need to spend lots of money on a Thorens, the Duals work just fine and they are cheap on eBay.

Heres the link to the Graham Slee Jazz Club phono stage that Eq's 78's. In there I talk a bit about the 1229.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/jazzclub_e.html

Malcolm Fear

78's
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2004, 11:47 am »
If you want to play around with 78 EQ, have a look at the old Quad pre amps. They have a lot of settings you can play around with.

beat

78's
« Reply #6 on: 14 Apr 2004, 06:04 am »
I have an old brunswick player that is like the old victrola cranks but sounds pretty nice actually. this is for the 78's that are wide groove mono laquer records of course..I love it but is best for moody dinner parties, old christamas stuff, and the like..not hifi.. That rpm is hard on the old steel needles so there is inherently alot of build up already, so you need to wet clean your records and move to a jeweled needle in order to have good sound and make the records last. I can help you with that if you want.