Next Gen ipad

johsti

Re: Next Gen ipad
« Reply #20 on: 11 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
Why wait for the 2nd generation when you can get the current model now?  Apple holds it's value well on the used market.  Trade up when the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generations arrive and you shouldn't be too much out of pocket.  You're already paying a premium for the Apple hardware so why not pay a little more to always have the latest and greatest?   

Apple is constantly coming out with new and improved models which is great.  With the new models come exclusive features that are intentionally engineered not to work with legacy models so you really have no choice but to constantly buy the latest model.  If you're seriously waiting for the second generation, why not hold out for the inevitable 3rd or 4th gen.?  There will always be a new Apple.

JohnR

« Reply #21 on: 11 Nov 2010, 11:44 pm »
It would be great to do an overnite trip and ditch my 15.4"/9 lb (with accessories) laptop.

Have a look at the 11" Macbook Air then (just saying... ;) )

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #22 on: 11 Nov 2010, 11:45 pm »
I heard a rumor that the next gen Ipad will keep a woman dry and fresh for 7 days without the need to swap in a new one.

Crimson

« Reply #23 on: 11 Nov 2010, 11:52 pm »
Have a look at the 11" Macbook Air then (just saying... ;) )

I went. I saw. I bought.

Grazie.

Crimson

« Reply #24 on: 11 Nov 2010, 11:53 pm »
I heard a rumor that the next gen Ipad will keep a woman dry and fresh for 7 days without the need to swap in a new one.

That's the current gen model. The new one is rumored to up the ante to a full 30 days.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #25 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:15 am »
Apple is constantly coming out with new and improved models which is great.  With the new models come exclusive features that are intentionally engineered not to work with legacy models so you really have no choice but to constantly buy the latest model.  If you're seriously waiting for the second generation, why not hold out for the inevitable 3rd or 4th gen.?  There will always be a new Apple.

The 1st of anything is normally and invariably rushed a bit - having been in consumer products for 25 years the song tends to repeat (not always, but normally).  By the 2nd, they've got a better bead on their target.

I'm in no rush to part with $699...I'll step in when I think it's time.  No sweat - not like I'm behind in work or late-breaking news or whatever at this point. No one is in the internet 24/7 age Wink2

I'm not in on the Mac Air...I can get some nice Toshiba Protege (and others) 11" models for less that do the same, for less $, and I don't have to go thru the changeover to Mac programs and all attendant costs.

When it comes to money - me and emotion parts ways :)

So far so good on SuganSync...extremely easy to begin with. Syncing all my files to the clouds as I type this.
John

JohnR

« Reply #26 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:37 am »
When it comes to money - me and emotion parts ways :)

Then why are you looking at an iPad :lol: ;)

TheChairGuy

« Reply #27 on: 12 Nov 2010, 12:36 pm »
Then why are you looking at an iPad :lol: ;)

True enough John-o...but, I haven't bought it yet nor have I looked at Netbook quasi-alternatives (for what my needs are at this time) that are 1/2 the cost.

What I found after the recent purchase of an iPhone was that it has enough functionality so that I was able to pull myself from the laptop for 10-15% of the tasks I used to do exclusively via laptop - a dang good direction for me!  I never used my prior 3 Blackberry's for anything more than a somewhat fancy phone device - the iPhone is truly a little mini-computer; the Blackberry was just a smartphone.

For a host of reasons, I think I'll wait out the Gen 1 hoopla surrounding the iPad and see what Apple and others have cooked up next year.

John

Don_S

« Reply #28 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:22 pm »
No. They use their own in house variant that, while similar, is probably not as durable for you skydiving shark wrasslin cliff diving super computer geeks.

Pez,  Any idea who manufactures the glass for the iPad?  Before I posted my original question I searched the Apple website and the Corning website.  No information.  Corning has a page where they list some of the products using Gorilla Glass but they also post a statement that the list is not complete due to agreements with their customers. A internet search using "Apple and Gorilla Glass" brought mixed results--Apple is either absolutely, absolutely not, or maybe using GG. Take your pick.

I have two reasons for asking. First I covet an iPad (but will wait for the next gen).  Two, I recently took some very nice capital gains from my investment in Corning.  I immediately placed a buy order to purchase additional shares at a much lower price.  If Corning supplies glass for the iPad or other Apple products that would give me a double warm fuzzy.

But if I had purchased Apple stock instead of Corning I would be on fire now.  :duh:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #29 on: 12 Nov 2010, 04:57 pm »
I know that the iphone screen costs $125. 

MaxCast

« Reply #30 on: 12 Nov 2010, 05:50 pm »
I know that the iphone screen costs $125.

installed?  Don't wanna know how that happened but nice to know the consequences.  :|

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #31 on: 12 Nov 2010, 05:57 pm »
installed?  Don't wanna know how that happened but nice to know the consequences.  :|

No sir.  Apple pays $125 for the screens...

jriggy

« Reply #32 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:00 pm »
On top of the Q2 of 2011 now being updated (from most sources) to first quarter of '11 there is this lil tid-bit....

http://erictric.com/2010/11/24/apple-ipad-2-coming-with-a-second-connector/

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #33 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:03 pm »
very cool

Pez

« Reply #34 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:06 pm »
meh... I doubt seriously that apple would do that. 2 things- 1.there is exactly one peripheral that would benifit from a side dock and that is a keyboard and they already have the kick ass wireless keyboard for landscape. 2. Apple doesn't add ports on devices... ever. If anything they subtract ports.

JohnR

« Reply #35 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:09 pm »
They got a patent for putting on another connector?
 :shake:

Pez

« Reply #36 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:13 pm »
It's one of Apples most effective tactics to throw people off. They get some absurd patent, a desperate mouth breathing fanboy finds the Patent and informs the blogosphere and boom! The internet is abuzz about Apple. cheaper than advertising!

JohnR

« Reply #37 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:21 pm »
Hey, let's make our own predictions. So the hot news so far is that the iPad 2 will have the same screen size, and an extra connector.

Well, I predict that the iPad 3 will be available with a smaller screen, and a USB port!!

Pez

« Reply #38 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:58 pm »
iPad 3 will have a laser projection keyboard so you can use any surface to type. Like those virtual keyboard devices that are out now.

srb

« Reply #39 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:58 pm »
It's one of Apples most effective tactics to throw people off. They get some absurd patent, a desperate mouth breathing fanboy finds the Patent and informs the blogosphere and boom! The internet is abuzz about Apple. cheaper than advertising!

"...desperate mouth breathing fanboy..."?   Really?