Janis Subwoofer Help

aewhistory

• Trenton Makes, The World Takes!
Janis Subwoofer Help
« on: 6 Nov 2010, 05:32 pm »
I don't know if this is the forum for this, so if it isn't I'd be appreciative if the mods would find a better and more appropriate place.

Anyway, here's the deal.  I'm buying a classic Janis Subwoofer from a gent near where I live.  Unfortunately, when he went to test it, he noticed some problems in the sound of the sub.  I think that the surround has rotted, but if you're aware of how the old Janis subs look and work, you can't see the driver, and you can't easily get to it either.  So here's my issues:

1. If it is the surround, can this be serviced?  I've read that this sub is VERY difficult to open.
2. If the sub can be opened, can the surround be repaired?
3. If not, can another driver be used?
4. Basically, I need to know as much as possible about these subs, so ANY help will be appreciated.

I'd love to get this sub.  It is a bee-utiful piece of woodworking, with serious WAF, so I'm willing to fix if it is a reasonable undertaking.  Problem is, I don't know....

Thanks very much!

Phil A

Re: Janis Subwoofer Help
« Reply #1 on: 6 Nov 2010, 06:35 pm »
There's some info in the middle of the page of the first link about the operating principles.  Apparently, there are screws on the bottom per the second link.

http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/activsys1.html

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=273268

aewhistory

• Trenton Makes, The World Takes!
« Reply #2 on: 6 Nov 2010, 08:09 pm »
This is a really nice start, thank you! 

If there is anyone out there with personal experience, or with more information, or has changed the woofers in a Janis, or hell... anything else, please feel free to post.  I'd so love to purchase this sub.  It is lovely simply as a piece of furniture, but I really need a table/sub and there aren't many good pre-made options... especially this inexpensive.

pumpkinman

• A Kind Word Is an Easy Gift To Give
« Reply #3 on: 6 Nov 2010, 09:43 pm »
I've redone surronds on several pairs of speakers just ask etcarroll he'll tell you if I can do anyone can.
I'm just beating him (etcarrol)l to the punch  :lol:

If you can remove the woofer it's very easy it's been my experience.........Bill

Youtube video on a repair

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHWQSa16pu0

bside123

« Reply #4 on: 7 Nov 2010, 12:22 pm »
This is a really nice start, thank you! 

If there is anyone out there with personal experience, or with more information, or has changed the woofers in a Janis, or hell... anything else, please feel free to post.  I'd so love to purchase this sub.  It is lovely simply as a piece of furniture, but I really need a table/sub and there aren't many good pre-made options... especially this inexpensive.

aewhistory: I am probably in the "or hell... anything else" camp. I currently use this sub in one of my systems with great satisfaction. It is VERY musical when set up properly. In other words in my experience, this sub is FOR MUSIC and not for any HT application. Don't expect fast explosions and gigantic, high impact thunder for high-action movie scenes. However, the sub SOUNDS like real bass instruments when used properly in 2 channel. Be prepared to take A LOT of time to carefully choose placement, direction and phasing. I have all of the original information that came from the factory, i.e., manual, specs, graphs, etc. If you're interested... PM me. Good luck!

pelliott321

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jan 2011, 04:00 pm »
I have a pair of w1's original owner since early 90's. You can see them lurking behind the maggy's.
when I first got them I opened them up and added bracing and lead sheeting to the insides. I more than doubled the weight and added spikes.
right now they are running with Marchand xover 24db slope from 40hz on down. My system in room response measures (with TrueRTA and Behringer mic) flat from below 20hz

I really do not feel the need to replace the woofers, since I only listen to Jazz and Classical with occasional foray into Rock.
I may add capacitance to my sub woofer amps and the other thread suggested 

aemarcha

« Reply #6 on: 23 Nov 2013, 06:01 pm »
I have a Janis from the late 80's.  In 1995 I contacted John Marovskis about the then 60 watt amplifier that needed service.  He had a client who was very interested in acquiring a 60 watt amp/crossover for a setup with Magnepans, so he offered to do an even trade for me for the new 100 amp/ crossover and of course I said yes.  I am running a pair of Spica Tc-50s with the Janis. The Spicas probably need to have their crossover capacitors made over, so I am thinking of buying new satellite speakers, probably building a pair of XLS's from rg-research.com
Although the Janis still sounds good, should I replace the speaker?  Should I look at doing an upgrade of the capacitors and film resistors in the sub amp? What sub speaker should I look at?  Is it something I can do at home?

ajespo

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2014, 04:35 pm »
I've had my Janis setup for 15 years now and I must say it is great. It is truly for music only though, it is not meant for HT. I find it funny how much opinions diverge about this sub. I bought mine used from a friend who was in the business of selling the highest of high end gear (way out of my price point). It was from his personal setup. If he didn't get divorced he would still have it. He asks me about it every so often. A poster a while back said they had original manuals and docs for the Janis. I would really like to see those, I never got the paperwork with mine.

smokey

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jun 2014, 01:28 am »
I am  have mine  from the late 80"s still sounds great  JAZZ & OLD ROCK, with the 1-A CROSSOVER, I have it set up with my new SALK SOUNDSCAPE 8"s  I still have all the papers that came with it  :thumb: