50" 1080p LG plasma for $796 shipped. Now $695 shipped.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2010, 04:30 pm by woodsyi »

rajacat

• Washington State
It's not a particularily good deal.

Here's a Panasonic 50" plasma  for $630.
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11532893&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|90607|2341|3314&N=4047301&Mo=1&pos=12&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=3314&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC34411-Cat2341&topnav=

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
The LG listed is 1080p and includes shipping for $796. The Panasonic you listed is 720p. Not just that your Panasonic does not include shipping and handling which is an extra $130 according to your Costco link. So now it is $760 for 720p Plasma.

The LG is a better deal to be honest.

Anand.

rajacat

• Washington State
Hmmm you're right! :oops:...I thought that LG was listed as 720i :scratch: Other things equal I like shopping at Costco because you get an extra year on the guarantee or 2 extra years if charge with American Express. Also Costco is brick and mortar company that makes returning easier. That's worth a lot to me.  instead of dealing with a  internet company or one that doesn't have nationwide stores.

Dan Driscoll

If you can get the Panny locally and avoid the shipping charge, it's a slam-dunk better deal, IMO. Even with the shipping charge, in the 50" class I would still take a 720p Panny over a 1080p LG.

When I was researching my recent plasma purchase I quickly dropped everyone except Panny and Samsung from consideration, including LG. Not because LG was bad, they just aren't in the same class as Panasonic or Samsung. I rank plasmas as Panny #1, with Samsung a close #2, and everyone else quite a ways back.

As always, IMO, YMMV, yada, yada, yada.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Hmmm you're right! :oops:...I thought that LG was listed as 720i :scratch: Other things equal I like shopping at Costco because you get an extra year on the guarantee or 2 extra years if charge with American Express. Also Costco is brick and mortar company that makes returning easier. That's worth a lot to me.  instead of dealing with a  internet company or one that doesn't have nationwide stores.

6th Avenue Electronics is a brick and mortar store in the NY tristate area, and in some places in Pennsylvania. They are authorized dealers for everything they sell. And they offer extended warranties up to 5 years if that tickles your fancy.

All details here and here. All things being equal, they don't have the walmart like network of Costco.

Panasonic is one of the leaders in Plasma television - in fact I don't think they really endorse LED or LCD types. Something to think about.

Best,
Anand.

srb

Panasonic is one of the leaders in Plasma television - in fact I don't think they really endorse LED or LCD types. Something to think about.

Not sure what 'endorse' means in this context, but I agree that they are a leader in Plasma TVs.  However, for their 2010 line, they also manufacture seven different series of LCD or LED/LCD sets in the smaller sizes of 42" or less.

Steve

usp1

Sixth Ave has the Panny 50" 720p for $650 with free shipping.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: 50" 1080p LG plasma for $796 shipped. Now $695 shipped.
« Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:31 pm »
It's now $695.00 shipped on an early Black Friday deal.