Best Floorstanding Speakers Under $1000?

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Best Floorstanding Speakers Under $1000?
« on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:35 am »
Ok, I have my friend/boss looking to upgrade his home theater box system.  Although mainly HT, he also wants it to do dual duty as the main music system.  In a moderately large family room, I'd guess 18x25, with beam ceilings.  His budget is $1000.00/pr, driven with the typical 100 watt consumer receiver.  No DIY would be considered, and he needs to be able to have a dealer somewhat nearby so he can listen before purchase, so no esoteric cottage industry speakers that we are so fond of here.

I gave him the list of the usual suspects, Monitor Audio Silver RS6, Paradigm Reference Monitor 7, Polk Audio TSi500, PSB Image T6, with Magneplanar MMG and Energy C-500 thrown in as ringers.  Since this is right down the middle for the type of question audiophiles are asked because "we know something", what would your recommendation be.  No restrictions other than the above, this is for fun.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
Re: Best Floorstanding Speakers Under $1000?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:45 am »
Some questions to clarify:

If you can list some of the manufacturers of loudspeakers that have dealerships in your area in NJ that would help, then we can help narrow it down based on the budget you mentioned. Also, will there be subs in this system, or do we want full range? And we are talking about just a 2 channel speaker pair right? Do you happen to know what the 100 watt consumer receiver is? Are we talking Sherwood, or are we talking at the level of Outlaw?

Anand.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:58 am »
Thanks for the reply.  It will have a sub, but it's a box system sub so not of the highest quality, therefore if I can get him full range w/o sub it would be a benefit, but not a dealbreaker either way.  No, the receiver won't be an Outlaw or even a top line Marantz, I'm quite sure it's something you could get at Best Buy, but not the cheapest.  So a real 20-20khz 100 watts, but more constant current driven than a pure voltage device.  There will be surrounds, but likely in ceiling types chosen at a later time to match the main speakers.  For now we'll make do with the box system surrounds no matter the mis-match, so just focusing on two channel audio/video.  If we try to go whole system makeover like it should be done, he'll just roll his eyes and throw up his hands.  Baby steps now, we can just have fun with any mainstream products, just not something we have to fly to Colorado to hear at the next RMAF.

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 3 Nov 2010, 02:37 am »
I'd grab a deal like this - http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFIQ90WAA/KEF/Iq90-Three-Way-6-Floorstanding-Speakers-Pair-Walnut-NEW/1.html

They are almost sold out of the above finish but they have them in black at the same $900 price.  Reasons - 8 ohm impedence and 91db efficiency.

Zerogravity

« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2010, 08:31 pm »
Some of the other brands I saw were: Cambridge Audio S70, this is the tower version of the S30 Speaker, which is supposed to be a great speaker for the moola, $499.00 at AudioAdvisor. DCM Time Frame 700 is supposed to be like the DCMs original better brands. You say DIY is out, however Madisound sells some kits that all you have to do is screw together, no soldering is needed. The Seas Idunn kit comes to mind at $690.00 and the DCT tweeter is supposed to be one of the best in a waveguide design, although it is a small design. It offers great dispersion and top quality to boot! I never heard any of these personaly, however all I hear is that a DIY that is reasonably priced is probably going to sound like a retail brand at 5-10 X the cost, How bad can that be?

raindance

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:14 pm »
I second the KEF iQ series idea. They sound great with Denon receivers from Best Buy and are quite efficient. They are not bad for music at all. I have the iQ3 bookshelves and if the floor standers are more extended in the bass department, you'd be set.

cujobob

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2010, 09:28 pm »
Locally, we'd need to know what is available.  In my area, there are only a few...none of which really wow me for the lower price-ranges.

Ok here are some options you're not looking for, but I feel compelled to mention.

Used speakers, for $1000, you can get a much better offering going used...he could still audition a new one somewhere locally.

Chase Home Theater (formerly Tweak City Audio) has SHO-10 speakers that could be mated with one of their subs for great full-range sound.  Or the new WAF-3s they're coming out with which are inexpensive enough to allow one to buy a VERY nice subwoofer to go with it.  They're designed for dynamics and I feel you'll wow your boss/friend with either of these choices.  Being able to buy a sub at the same time should be a pretty good reason to try the internet route.

Paying someone to build you out a kit speaker is also often a great choice.

Problem is, for $1000 at a B&M store..you're not going to get great value usually.  This will turn him off to the hobby more than anything else.

decal

« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:02 pm »
If there are dealers he can visit,he really needs to go listen for himself.Relying on someone elses recommendation doesn't always work out for the best.Just a thought.I wish your friend good luck in his search.

TONEPUB

« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2010, 10:23 pm »
I don't know if they are the "best", but one of my favorite $1000 speakers is the Vandersteen 1C.  90db efficient, good bass, easy to drive, very musical.

That would be my go to choice for $1000.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:37 am »
Stereophile just positively review an NHT floortander at $995/pr.  But does NHT still have dealers?   :scratch:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #10 on: 21 Nov 2010, 01:49 am »
I don't know if they are the "best", but one of my favorite $1000 speakers is the Vandersteen 1C.  90db efficient, good bass, easy to drive, very musical.

That would be my go to choice for $1000.
+1 on the Vandersteens.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2010, 03:13 am »
The Vandy does offer a lot of sound for little money....that 8" driver and transmission line makes very nice bass.

However, the metal dome tweeter made my ears bleed and, ultimately, I had to sell mine for that reason.  Also, the wee Vandy thrives in larger spaces than it's modest price would suggest.

I've liked the floorstanding Quad 21L when I heard.  Superb finish, easy-to-love sound (ahhh, fabric tweeter) and modestly priced.

John

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:55 am »
Those Quads are nice too...

I always used the 1C with a Dynaco ST70 or CJ MV50, so the tweeter was never that big of an issue.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:29 pm »
Some great suggestions, I'll add some comments that you may please respond to.

KEF Iq90  $849.99 (online sale) - I've heard a lot about this line of speakers, but have never heard them.  The specs seem very close to what you want in a mid-line speaker for non-audiophile use, and maybe even audiophile use.

Vandersteen 1C  $995.00 - I've lusted after Vandys since hearing the 1B and 2B 30 years ago, excellent suggestion.

Quad 21L2  $1,499.00 - Very nice reviews, getting a bit pricey for this application as it seems you need to add a sub.

NHT Four  $899.00
- Yes, they seem to have distribution in NJ, albeit somewhat spotty and mostly HT guys without in stock products.  A far cry from what I knew NHT to be, a cutting edge high end line back in the day.  Seems like the designs haven't changed in years, what's up?

Cambridge Audio S70  $499.00
- Maybe just a bit too low fi for this application?

Here are some suggestions I had:

Monitor Audio Silver RS6  $999.00 - A bit demanding for a non-audiophile, but on everyone's shortlist at this price point.

PSB Image T6 Tower $1198.00
- Unheralded speaker line dismissed as HT speakers but remarkably revealing and killer impact.

B&W 684  $1100.00
- Why not on anybody's list?  Have we dismissed B&W as a high end speaker?

Polk LSi15 $999.00
demo pair at local dealer, $1699.00 retail - This may be the out of the league killer that trumps all of the others if they are still available.  One of the better Polk speakers at an excellent price, and matches the criteria, high WAF, subwoofer included, adept at music and HT.

Some non starters, but please fell free to comment again:

Chase Home Theater  SHO-10 - Really needs to be purchased as a system, and a system too high in price and too complex in set up for the non audiophile.

DCM Time Frame 700 - I could not find this speaker in current production.  Was there another model you were referring to?

TONEPUB

« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:45 pm »
Perhaps check into what Aperion is doing too.  They've usually got pretty good sound around this price point.

Ericus Rex

« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2010, 06:56 pm »
I think in order to survive in these economic times NHT has gone to primarily direct marketing.  That's why I wasn't sure if the had ANY dealers anymore.  I suppose the dealer margins are now so low it's not worth a dealer stocking them.  That being said, I suppose you should compare this pair of speakers to $1.4-1.6K speakers since retail price is now closer to former dealer price.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES
« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:02 am »
Martin Logan now has a some dynamic speakers that look intriguing. Here's an interesting selection of floor standers. Prices are for each.
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=58&sort_on=title&sort_by=&view_all=true

Monitors -
http://www.audioadvisor.com/products.asp?dept=49&sort_on=title&sort_by=&view_all=true

Sorry to read about the Vandersteen 1C tweeter. I guess you need the right amp now. The 1B was a great speaker, really easy to listen to - natural sounding with good bass. I had a pair of 2Cs and always thought I had made a mistake and should have gotten 1Bs.

neo

ken

« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2010, 01:21 am »
I've heard the Martin Logan Prefaces at Best Buy being powered by a HT receiver  and was very impressed, even in their sub-par soundroom, and  believe you can get them for the same price AA is selling them for - that is if they're still carrying them as they are being phased out.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:03 am »
That's a pretty good list, Letitroll.

I'd suggest checking out Best Buy's Magnolia stuff too.  Martin Logan, Vienna, B&W, and Def Tech are all available at my local store - Palisades Mall in Nanuet, NY if you're close.

I was there last week killing some time while the Mrs. was shopping, and saw the Viennas on sale for a pretty good price.  Not sure if they're phasing them out or not.

I like other stuff on your list more than the Magnolia stuff, but evereyone's ears are different.  If he doesn't know what he's looking for, a place like this using AVRs and DVD players as sources may keep things a bit more realistic for him.

I can't believe I found an advantage of going to Magnolia over a B&M.  I think Satan just go hit by a snowball.

Will2

« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2010, 04:13 am »
Might these be a good option? http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1295573423&/ERA-D14 .  I don't know the speakers but the Peachtree stuff is good and Walter at Underwood (the seller) has a good reputation.  You might want to give him a call.