RM9 MK2 popping sound when touching V-1

jig50

RM9 MK2 popping sound when touching V-1
« on: 2 Nov 2010, 12:04 pm »
 Hello, recently I have noticed that the Ram Selected V-1 position tube has become very sensitive. Sometimes if I just touch the top plate I will get a pop sound. If I power off and re-seat the tube it usually will be ok. I have rotated V-1  positions left -right, but the problem seems to be the right v-1 socket. I cleaned the socket pins with caig gold, but the problem is still there. I noticed that there is a bit of play when the tube is inserted as if the pin holders have gotten enlarged over time from inserting and removing tubes. Is there any way to tighten them? Also I suspect a bad solder joint may be causing this problem on the driver board. I have tested all 4 driver tubes with a TV-7 tester and they all seem good. Also I can achieve AC balance on both sides. I am considering getting new V-1 tubes, but honestly, I cannot see anything wrong with these. I e-mailed this query to the Tube Store recently but it got kicked back. Is there a phone number or e-mail currently in which to contact MR. Thanks, jeff

Secondly, can you explain why V-1 is so critical and why it is so expensive? Is V-2 critical? :duh: I am running 6DJ8 Bugle Boys there.  Thanks, Jeff  :scratch:

rbwalt

Re: RM9 MK2 popping sound when touching V-1
« Reply #1 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:04 pm »
yea sounds like a bad solder joint. the sockets soldered to the board can become lose. it happened on mine. you can try to move them closer together with a small screw driver. if it does not work it may be time for some new sockets. sounds like who ever had it before you did allot of tube rolling. go to the MR site for e-mail and phone #. you are going to have to be patient. roger has been very busy setting up a new lab. he has moved to a new location. so keep after him.

r.

Gvt1911

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2010, 03:19 pm »
Had both the RM9 and the RM 9 MKII...What happens is that the solder joints where the driver tube sockets are soldered to the board crack ! You just have to remove bottom plate and resolder all solder joints on all the tube sockets. No need to suck out old solder, just a tad of new solder will work. Had to do this to both amps...Guess it comes from tube rolling and heat. GREAT amps... :thumb:

Ericus Rex

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2010, 05:05 pm »
Yep.  Tube rolling does a number on this amp.  I'd bet money that you have a broken solder joint as described already.  The problem is that everytime you wiggle a tube in or out of the socket, you're flexing the solder joint on the driver board and it eventually fails.  The reason you're having a problem only with the front one is that those two are the ones most responsive to tube rolling and they get replaced lots (I.e. flexed lots).

I replaced all the sockets in mine with ones that had longer leads.  I then bent the lead onto the board, essentially crimping the socket to the board.  I don't know if Roger approves of this, or if it will help at all but seems fine so far.  I have learned my lesson regarding rolling in this amp.  I have also found that the bigger gain in tube rolling with it is the power tubes (not susceptible to this problem) not the miniatures.  So I've stuck with the RAM tubes which have been lower noise than anything else I own.

jig50

« Reply #4 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:40 am »
Thanks guys, you are confirming my hunch. I guess I will be busting out the soldering iron soon. BTW, can anyone comment on the RAM selected tubes for v-1 v-2 and why it is so critical? I am not a Sovtek fan but Roger seems to be. I saw on his website that he is also offering  Tesla 6DJ8 V-1 for a slightly less price.