Seeking recommendations for a high value phono cartridge

2gumby2

I have a Technics SL1200 MK2 modified by KABUSA with a Cardas tonearm rewire and strobe disabler. I'm looking for a high value cartridge to go with this rig and want to stay under $125. I've done a lot of reading on various cartidges at my price point to include Ortofon, Grado, Shure, Audio Technica, and Denon. The Grados seem popular, but I've read about hum issues so I'm hesitant on that brand. Currently, I'm leaning toward the Ortofon 2M Red. It seems to have a good reputation for high value and from what I've read it's easy to mount and align relative to other cartridges. I have an open mind though and thought some experienced ACers could provide some good advice in my search.

Wayner

Re: Seeking recommendations for a high value phono cartridge
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2010, 11:38 am »
I run the Grado Gold1 (Longhorn) and the AT440MLa in my Technics with outstanding results. Grados do not have any hum, except for a slight burp at turn on or turn off, not during normal run.

Wayner

Charles Calkins

« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm »
I have the same cartridge as Wayner running on a Rega P-3. No hum issues. And compared to a Denon DL-110 it sounds a lot better.

Cheers
                                              Charlie

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2010, 12:55 pm »
The 2M Red will have a punchy, up front sound, the Grado Red is about the $140 range and is lush and beautifully laid back, the Gold mentioned is quite a bit more expensive, but is very nice.  If brave you might even try some vintage Grado Signatures like an 8MR that go for around the $125 price, there are still replacement styli available. The AT 440MLa is going for $126.63 on Amazon right now, highly detailed and an excellent tracker.  If you have the ability to load it down to around 33k ohms the AT can really sing.  The Shure M97 is under $100 and is an excellent tracker, but in my mind not up to these others in sound quality.  The Denon DL110 at $109.66 on Amazon is a winner in my book.  You get the punchy-ness of the Ortofon, the detail of the AT, the tracking of the Shure, and the soundstage of the Grado.  You only miss out on the lush, euphoric nature of the Grado, which is a trait you either love or despise.  You will not have a bad experience with any of these cartridges, the final decision comes down to personal taste.     

TheChairGuy

« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2010, 01:15 pm »
gumby,

There will be no hum issue with a Grado on your Technics, as noted by others.

If you're really looking to save $, the Grado Green is just a bit off the refined nature of the pricier Grado cartridges and would save you mucho green :green:

KAB makes a silicone damping trough for $150.00 for the Technics (it's very much self-installed and easy to do).  Grado cartridges lack internal damping and, as Letitroll points out above, tend toward lush and euphonic sound. 

Using a direct drive, as you do, does a lot to not accentuate the lusher presentation that many belt drives do...and the addition of the damping trough will curtail it further and turn much of the lush and euphonic into refined.

You can do it in steps as your budget allows, of course, $150 (damping trough) or $80 (Grado Green) at a time.

The other recommendations aren't at all bad, either.  It's simply a matter of taking a shot at an advance and hear how it goes 8)

Good luck, John

2gumby2

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2010, 02:19 pm »
I like hearing the various opinions, although sometimes conflicting. It seems any of the recommeded cartidges would be fine performers around my price point. As I read more, the Denon and Ortofon are touted as being easy to set up which has value to me. I'll keep researching and hopefully come up with a good choice.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2010, 02:31 pm »
The Denon (only the DL-110 is in your stated price range) sounds wonderful and is a cinch to hook up (great color coding on the pin leads from the cartridge).

It simply sounds good to the widest audience I am aware of among cartridges in this price range.  It's probably the least controversial choice in cartridges today :thumb:

Opinions are free and we all hear things very differently...hence, the otherwise conflicting advice here.  But, the Denon is likely as close to conflict-free choice as you will find.

It's simply good as the vast majority have found.

John

sonik

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2010, 02:45 pm »
Hello.  Long time lurker, first time poster.  I decided to post because I have been dealing with the same issue.  Be careful with the Grado on the Technics.  I have an SL 1200 Mk2 manufactured in March, 2010.  There is definitely hum with a Gold 1.  The level is very low and buried in the surface noise on outer tracks but increases as the cartridge approaches the spindle.  The hum is still low but is usually audible from my listening position, particularly on the run out grooves.  I've been in touch with Kevin about this, and he has found that the transformers on newer Technics are not as well shielded as those on older 1200s.  If you have a newer 1200, the hum may or may not bother you.  I really enjoy the sound of the Grado, but I'll probably either do what is necessary to reduce or eliminate the hum - or change cartridges.  By the way, there is no hum with either an AT120 or AT95 (with amp volume at max), but I prefer the sound of the Grado in my system.

starkiller

« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:09 pm »
I too have a SL-1200 Mk2 but from the 90's. I use a Denon DL-110 cartridge and the sound is very very nice. Smooth all the way across the board, at least to my ears and in my system.  I too have read and been told to stay away from the Grado's because of hum issues.

Good luck in your search :)

Wayner

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:39 pm »
I'm running my Grado Gold1 Longhorn on the Technics right now. With the volume control full blast, you can faintly, faintly hear a slight hum where the record label is. This level is absurd, even at midnight there is virtually no hum. In fact the AT440MLa has a bit more hum then the Grado, and this really proves that it is table specific.

My Technics is from 2007.

Wayner

royphil345

« Reply #10 on: 1 Nov 2010, 12:05 am »
Why would you pay all that money for a tonearm rewire... and the even subtler strobe disabler mod... to skimp on a cartridge? I'd be looking at the Ortofon 2M Blue or the Denon DL-160 at least. They're both considerably smoother than their lower-priced counterparts. Both are excellent values.

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:54 am »
Well, after MANY hours of reading cartridge reviews and considering the input here, I've decided to take royphil's recommendation and try to find a Denon DL-160.

neobop

• BIRD LIVES

Scottdazzle

« Reply #14 on: 2 Nov 2010, 02:32 pm »
Well, after MANY hours of reading cartridge reviews and considering the input here, I've decided to take royphil's recommendation and try to find a Denon DL-160.

Good choice but you better grab one fast. They've been discontinued.  :thumb:

Delta Wave

« Reply #15 on: 2 Nov 2010, 03:05 pm »
Hey Delta Wave,
Do you have one of these 555? Could you give us your opinion?
Thanks,
neo

Not yet, but I am getting one very soon. I've heard noting but good things and I'm dieing to give it a listen. I'll keep you posted.

royphil345

« Reply #16 on: 2 Nov 2010, 08:32 pm »
I think you'll be glad you decided to spend a little more. Otherwise, you'd probably want to upgrade before long and end up spending even more.

Hope you can still find the DL-160 you want. The Ortofon 2M Blue is no slouch either. Doesn't seem to be as much info out there on that cartridge, but I like mine a lot. Punchy bass, nice balance and smooth, extended highs.

BobM

« Reply #17 on: 2 Nov 2010, 10:48 pm »
Or, if you can't get one, the used Grado route is always rewarding (as had been said by others before me).

2gumby2

« Reply #18 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:01 pm »
I bought one after searching around on the net. The DL-160 is not available from very many sources, but they can be found at eBay, LPgear, and Amazon.

hifitommy

i wuz gonna recommend..
« Reply #19 on: 3 Nov 2010, 11:00 pm »
the stanton 681EEEmk3 at just about your budget.  great bass and this cart does a lot of things very well.  it is the forerunner to the wonderful 881s (i have one) and it was one of the "go to" cartridges in the late 70s early 80s. 

its not an entirely bad idea to have more than one cartridge on hand for swapping.