Looking for Class T

werd

Looking for Class T
« on: 30 Oct 2010, 06:52 am »
Is there a future in this design? I like to think any design that pushes solid state into the 21st century its going revolve around IC implementation and its further enhancement of class D. Anything class T is welcome here....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_T_amplifier

wilsynet

Re: Looking for Class T
« Reply #1 on: 31 Oct 2010, 06:48 am »
I've heard a number of Tripath implementations and some are quite good.  But if we're talking state of the art, then the First Watt designs are (to my ears) superior.

Not sure if Tripath is currently an operating company.

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #2 on: 31 Oct 2010, 10:33 am »
I don't see that it has any sonic advantages over other class D designs. At the same time, it's exceptionally good sounding when you have at least 40 watts a side @ 8 ohms (TK2050). A good Tripath design/implementation sounds much better to me than many high end receivers costing several times more. 

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:47 pm »
I'm curious about the Trends 10.X amplifier. It has something like 10 Watts or less per channel into 8 Ohms. How in the world could this possibly make many speakers sound adequate, let alone good? What's the deal?

srb

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2011, 06:00 pm »
I'm curious about the Trends 10.X amplifier. It has something like 10 Watts or less per channel into 8 Ohms. How in the world could this possibly make many speakers sound adequate, let alone good? What's the deal?

Well, perhaps not many speakers, but if you have very high efficiency speakers it can work, just as there are people who use 2 - 10 watt SET tube amps with high efficiency speakers.

In other words, a 100W amp with 87dB speakers might be similar to using a 10W amp with > 96dB speakers.

Steve

Matty_J

• Aperion Audio
    • Aperion Audio
« Reply #5 on: 29 Apr 2011, 09:13 pm »
I've heard a number of Tripath implementations and some are quite good.  But if we're talking state of the art, then the First Watt designs are (to my ears) superior.

Not sure if Tripath is currently an operating company.

Phoenix Gold used the Tripath chip in one of their car amp a few years back and had many fans.  As far as I know they went out of business because the chip was guarded like gold.

HT cOz

« Reply #6 on: 29 Apr 2011, 11:08 pm »
If you are looking to build a Tripath Amp, I think this is the best way to go.  maedos.com/Index.html  I am wanting to do just this with his TBRICK.