Magnepan frame mod: More mass, or more resonance?

jk@home

Re: Magnepan frame mod: More mass, or more resonance?
« Reply #20 on: 15 Jan 2011, 06:49 pm »
John,

I see you have yours orientated with the transducer side forward per the stock configuration.  Have you tried them the other way?  They certainly sound a bit different depending upon orientation, but I couldn't stand to look at the mylar side during listening.  :)  (Unless, of course, they're going to eventually be covered with a sock.)

I can't believe placing the crossover boxes on the floor or on the speaker base is going to make any audible difference.  :)

Cheers,

Dave.

Hey Dave. I ran mine with the pole pieces out during the crossover breakin period. As of right now, mylar out sounds better. It may be the fact that I listen to the MMG fairly nearfield, or my downstream equipment. But I reserve the right to switch them back  :green:

There's a very good chance once I install whatever room treatments I go with, it will effect the sound again. That's one reason I picked your design over the standard, for the option.

Then again I have "razored" the pole pieces, which may have placed me to a point of no return. Not that the V-MAX can't be removed, but that it adds extra surface to the speaker which might cause diffraction.(?)

« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2011, 08:10 am by jk@home »

pelliott321

« Reply #21 on: 18 Jan 2011, 02:54 pm »
My feeling was that the big heavy bases that some of the guys make when they rebuild the frames are just a big vibration sponge.  It did not make much since to me to place the xover box on that vibrating platform.  This is how I came up with my design.
I always felt that the main reason in building an external xover box is to get away from the speaker's vibration.
With everything well damped and spiked to the concrete floor, I felt that I got rid of most vibrations.  The boxes will eventually get a couple of baggies fill with sand.
I would like to add some more weight to the speaker frames.
Since its hard to find lead anymore, I am looking at the zinc plates that boaters use to avoid electrolysis.  Theses could be attached fairly easily to the bottom (backside) of my frames.

oboaudio

« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2011, 06:34 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm yet to hear some 20.1s.   :cry:  But yes, in a hardwood frame they should sound even more amazing!  :D

They have a fundamental problem, though, IMO ... all 3 drivers are in the same frame (so the vibrations produced in the frame by the bass driver, shake the ribbon cage).  The old T-IV and T-IVa were the only Maggies which had a decoupled frame for the mid & ribbon - IMO they should come out with a "Statement" pair of 20Series which does this ... with magnets both sides of the bass & mid drivers.

Regards,

Andy

My solution with vibration from bass that effects the midrange and ribbon elements.  I use Magneplanar Tympani bass panels (frames bolted together and to the floor) along side of
Martin Logan Summits (woofers not used).  The benefits of this combination is (1) no xover for mids and highs (imaging is considerably better)  (2) isolation from bass vibration (3) (low level detail that the maggies can't match  (4) mid to low bass that the Martin Logan Summits can not
match.  (5) The mid bass of the Magneplanar bass panels when bolted together and to the floor
improves the mid to low bass even further.  Both speakers are dipole and provide a huge sound-stage, depth that is incredible and ambience that is quite remarkable.   

IV bass panels (frames bolted together and to the floor

andyr

« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2011, 09:03 pm »

My solution with vibration from bass that effects the midrange and ribbon elements.  I use Magneplanar Tympani bass panels (frames bolted together and to the floor) along side of
Martin Logan Summits (woofers not used).  The benefits of this combination is:
(1) no xover for mids and highs (imaging is considerably better)
(2) isolation from bass vibration
(3) (low level detail that the maggies can't match
(4) mid to low bass that the Martin Logan Summits cannot match
(5) The mid bass of the Magneplanar bass panels when bolted together and to the floor improves the mid to low bass even further.

Both speakers are dipole and provide a huge sound-stage, depth that is incredible and ambience that is quite remarkable.   

Sensational!!   :D  I'd love to hear them.

Regards,

Andy

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2011, 11:34 pm »
One guy I know mounted his Maggies in the wall between two large rooms.  Each room acted as an infinite baffle for the other room (no bass roll-off), and of course the wall he use was structurally very solid.

Two rooms of very nice sound and surprising bass response for the price of one set of medium size Maggies and a bit of intelligent work.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine