Grado Longhorn Set-Up

aln

Grado Longhorn Set-Up
« on: 28 Oct 2010, 12:25 pm »
I am setting up a Longhorn grado and was wondering if there were any tips for tracking angle and tracking weight.  It's used in a technics sl1200 (the original) with an ADC LMF tonearm.

Mitsuman

• Diamond Tone Junkie
Re: Grado Longhorn Set-Up
« Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2010, 12:53 pm »
Tracking angle will be no different with or without the longhorn mod. As far as tracking weight, re-zero the tonearm/cart after installing the longhorn and run at normal VTF. I run my Gold1 at 1.75 gms. and anti-skate @ .5  :)

aln

« Reply #2 on: 2 Nov 2010, 12:19 pm »
Thanks-I increased the VTF to a little over 1.5 grams and that helped a lot.  Now its time for a good record cleaning setup!

Regards
ALN

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 2 Nov 2010, 04:35 pm »
I have my Longhorn Gold1 tracking at 1.6 grams. I find that setting the VTA or better yet the SRA to 92 degrees may help with some transients. I have asked Grado about this and they also recommend the 2 degree tip forward. This will mean about a 8 mm increase in tonearm height after paralleling the arm. Unfortunately, the SL1200 will only go up 6mm, but I think it's close enough. Depending on what  mat you use, this value will also vary from user to user. Try it if you'd like.

I also am setting the alignment with an overhang of 18.282mm, instead of the 15mm. I am aligning to the Lofgren B curve, so the null points will be at 70.285 and 116.604 respectively. With overhang set at 15mm, the first null point is in the label area. While this is OK, the distortion curve goes way up at the lead-in and adjusting for the Lofgren B reduces that lead-in distortion (but it also raises the run out distortion, but the average is much lower, overall.

Regards

Wayner,
Longhorn products
Audio by Van Alstine