Nikon D40 Intervalometer ?

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Nikon D40 Intervalometer ?
« on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:00 pm »
From what I understand, the Nikon D40 doesn't have a way (internally) to take photos time-lapse. Nor does the unit have the ability to hook a laptop with third party software to perform the function. I've heard of guys wiring a TI-83 Plus graphic calculator to the camera, through the USB port I suppose, to get the same job done.

I've been through the D40 manual, and the word intervalometer doesn't exist.

Either way, I'd love to do some time lapse, but am not willing to buy another camera.
Any assistance would be great.

Thanks guys,
Bob  :D

Goosepond

• Virna!
Re: Nikon D40 Intervalometer ?
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2010, 09:08 pm »
I'm not sure what the capabilities of the Nikon system are, I shoot Canon.

But I've got a Canon wired remote control that has the capabilities you mentioned. You might look at what Nikon offers along these lines.

Gene

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:51 am »
How long are the times involved? The only way I can think of is if someone made something that would trigger the camera using the infrared thingy... hey, unless you want to get into Linux: http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/

SET Man

« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2010, 04:24 am »
Hey!

Not sure what are you are trying to do or how long the time you need.

You could buy an electronic cable release. I think Nikon do make one. If not there are some on eBay. I've got one off eBay for my camera, for Sony DLSR in my case. The interval function goes up to 99hr 59min I think. I think I paid around $40 for it if I remembered correctly.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #4 on: 27 Oct 2010, 03:40 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not sure of the "numbers" I'm after regarding the timing and such.
What started this fire for me are a few videos a fellow (non-audio) forum member posted. He's a Canon guy, and can't help me much with my Nikon.
Here's some of what he did:

http://vimeo.com/15517603

http://vimeo.com/15581962

http://vimeo.com/15618585

See why I'm interested?  :wink: :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #5 on: 2 Nov 2010, 05:49 pm »
Ok, one more video...... I'd love to be able to do this.

You GOTTA watch this one.  :thumb:

http://www.vimeo.com/16369165

nathanm

« Reply #6 on: 2 Nov 2010, 09:11 pm »
Awesome stuff!  I thought for sure that the starry skies were chroma keyed in as a separate element, but then in other shots it looks more natural.  I dunno.  In any case, it makes for a great effect. 

ecod123

« Reply #7 on: 2 Nov 2010, 11:30 pm »
I thought for sure that the starry skies were chroma keyed in as a separate element, but then in other shots it looks more natural.
I was thinking the same initially but then realized it will be a lot of work to c/keyed in the skies frame by frame for the time lapsed scenes and to make it appears natural. And that's a remarkable film by Tim Rowe. Wow.

Bob, thanks for the great links! I learn something new today for my other hobby and from an audio forum to boot! :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 3 Nov 2010, 12:21 am »
Goosepond - From what I've been able to find, Nikon (or any third party) doesn't offer anything that performs these functions for a D40.

John - Learning Linux seems a bit extreme. Not sure I'd have much fun doing it this way. Kinda scary actually.

Buddy - I've searched for cable releases on Google and Ebay. Not much comes up other than the typical hand held manual "button".

Nathan - To the best of my knowledge, all that was shown was natural. Maybe a bit of "enhancing", but nothing fancy.

ecod - Glad I could help.  :wink:

But I still have an overwhelming desire to create films like this myself.  :duh:
Bob

ecod123

« Reply #9 on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:28 am »
I looked up my D200 manual and found out that it has the intervalometer! :thumb: Just goes to show that I never truly explore the true limits of my camera.

Bob, I know you are not thinking of buying another camera but the used D200 are pretty reasonable now given the D300 and D300s. Maybe sell the D40 and get a used D200?

No, my D200 is not for sale - I love it for it's features (now even better knowing about the intervalometer) :green:

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #10 on: 3 Nov 2010, 01:32 am »
Goosepond - From what I've been able to find, Nikon (or any third party) doesn't offer anything that performs these functions for a D40.

Bob,

How about this?

http://www.robertsimaging.com/stock/Remote%20Controllers%20and%20Cable%20Releases/Promaster/SystemPRO%20Timer%20Remote%20-%20Nikon%20%283077%29.jsp

Gene

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:21 am »
ecod - Looks like I've just single handedly caused quite a bit of your life to be consumed by your newfound knowledge.
Enjoy.  :wink:
Just be sure to post pictures videos.

Goose - From what I understand (which is little) the D40 only gets it's signals to 'fire' from IR. There is no wired solution. The unit you linked says "Fits all Nikon models capable of using a wired remote control."  :(

I did find >> THIS << a few minutes ago. Seems another fellow is wanting to use his D40 as I do. This is a forum specifically for time lapse photography (Ping; Mr. Ecod).

Hmmmm....Not looking good for the D40 unless I want to build an IR thingy. But still no idea of what "fires" it....
Bob

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #12 on: 3 Nov 2010, 03:55 pm »
ecod - Looks like I've just single handedly caused quite a bit of your life to be consumed by your newfound knowledge.
Enjoy.  :wink:
Just be sure to post pictures videos.

Goose - From what I understand (which is little) the D40 only gets it's signals to 'fire' from IR. There is no wired solution. The unit you linked says "Fits all Nikon models capable of using a wired remote control."  :(

I did find >> THIS << a few minutes ago. Seems another fellow is wanting to use his D40 as I do. This is a forum specifically for time lapse photography (Ping; Mr. Ecod).

Hmmmm....Not looking good for the D40 unless I want to build an IR thingy. But still no idea of what "fires" it....
Bob

Ahhh, yes. I guess I assumed all DSLR's used wired remotes. The first digicam I bought years ago was a Casio, all of something like 1.4 MP! But it had a wireless remote and I liked that. My Canon only uses a wired remote and I've learned to live with it.
When I bought it, they offered 2 models, a simple button remote and then the super duper do-it-all one which I of course couldn't resist. Just in case I wanted to do some of that time-lapse stuff.
After I got it, I looked for an off switch so I could turn off the nicely lit LCD screen to save the batteries. I couldn't believe there was none! It uses those little wafer batteries. So anyway, I removed the battery, tested it to see if it would still operate as just a button remote. And it did. I've never put the battery back in and never tried time-lapse photography. Thought about it but never did.  :thumb:
Gene

low.pfile

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:10 pm »
Bob, here is some more inspiration for ya (not that you need it)
I found this time lapse video of the perseid meteors on flickr this morning.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffreysullivan/3844899922/

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:22 pm »
Awesome! Yea, that's my goal.  :thumb: