looking for opinions on tube cd players

rickweed

« on: 5 Mar 2004, 06:28 pm »
Hello all,

I talked to Mr. Van Alstine and am getting closer to having my system built, T-7SLR, Fet Valve 350 amp, and Biro Speakers.  I am now in need of some advice on an appropriate cd player for this system.  I know Frank feels that a seperate DAC and an inexpensive transport is the way to go, but his fet valve DAC and even a cheap transport puts me a bit beyond what I have budgeted.  I am strongly considering one of the tube cd players.  The two I have in mind are the AH Njoe Tjoeb 4000 and the Jolida JD 100.  Any opinions on these as far as how they might fit in with Van Alsine equipment.  Thank you.

Rick

LAL

« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2004, 09:34 pm »
I have the JD 100 as modified by Parts Connexxion with the AVA pre and Fet Valve. It replaced a Pioneer PD65.  Very satisfied with it.  Haven't compared it with anything other than the Pioneer. Also can't say how the modded one compares with the stock unit. The key for me is that I can listen for hours without fatique to this combination through very revealing speakers.

earlmarc

« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2004, 10:02 pm »
I think both players are fine players at their cost and would work well with your system. An upcoming player from APL Audio will be a Pioneer DV-563A with dual Burr Brown DACs and a tubed output using 6H30 tubes. The price will be about $1100 including player. The Jolida and AH! are nowhere near the modded Pioneer in musical performance. Go to www.aplhifi.com

Crimson

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2004, 01:07 am »
Don't know what your budget is, but you might try the Toshiba SD-3950 ($60 at Best Buy) with a Scott Nixon dac ($250 - $475?). The Toshiba seems to be the current bang-for-the-buck rage. I'm using a cheap CEC3300 as a transport into a SN TubeDAC (into a T7 ECR) with excellent results.

dvb

Why Bother with a DAC?
« Reply #4 on: 19 Mar 2004, 05:20 am »
with the 3950 -- it sounds darn good on its own, without introducing the jitter of extra RCA connections and cable.  I'll be trying mine tomorrow with my Mensa DAC, but I'l l be surprised if there is an improvement.

dvb

So, let me be the first to admit I was wrong
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2004, 09:54 pm »
I'm playing the 3950 with my Mensa DAC today and I am noting an improvement -- as good as the 3950 is, there is a "bloom" to it that the Mensa cleans up.  Some may like the bloom, but I seem to have gotten use to a cleaner sound.

No doubt one of Frank's fine DACs would sound even better!

rickweed

Toshiba 3950
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2004, 04:01 am »
I threw out the paltry $59 plus tax to the Best Buy Co. today for a 3950.  It sounds surprisingly good, but then again I have not compared anything next to it.  I will use it until I decide whether to go with a tube cd player like the Jolida.  What I will avoid is what I call the "boutique players" (all shine, bells and whistles, and name recognition)  I only want the sound.  It doesn't have to be pretty, considering my Van Alstine equipment is fairly spartan in appearance, but it does the job musically.  Anyway, I appreciate all the input and the search goes on to fine tune my system to what I think is accurate reproduction to my ears.  

I may be mistaken, but I feel that on some songs, there is a sharpness to s sounds.  Is this normal for a new cd player or could it just be the way it was recorded?  I am very new to this, so excuse me if I use incorrect terminology or seem ignorant at times, but I do want to learn and I take seriously the opinions given here by those more knowledgeable than myself.  Thank you.

Rick

sch

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2004, 03:27 pm »
I've had the AH! Njoe Tjoeb CD with the upsampler option for more than 6 months now and if you are looking for great sound...this is a really nice option...it has an excellent stereophile review and it has a lot of tweaks to have fun with it.
Stregnths: Detail, natural sounding voices, excellent depth perception.
Santiago

Steven

unico
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2004, 03:48 pm »
Hey,

Analogue Audio in the Netherlands told me the unico from Unison Research is very interesting, with tubes and balanced outputs (Although van Alstine doesn't have them i guess). It sounds very well in its price range compared with others, and it looks very beautiful too if that's important to you. (Italian Design)

http://www.analogueaudio.com/unison-research.htm

Cheers,  :)
Steven.

Steven

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2004, 03:56 pm »
Forgotten to mention, if you're looking for a decent DAC, try out the Benchmark DAC 1 . It is quite cheap, but it has an outstanding quality in terms of sound.  My friends is using this small unit in his recording studio (jazz and classic), and it is really good as well to my ears.

http://www.benchmarkmedia.com/digital/dac1/

Cheers, :)

Steven.

rosconey

« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2004, 04:20 pm »
after breakin the highs smooth out  on the 3950-
hell of a player for 70$-enjoy and save for what you want down the road :mrgreen:

you may take a lok at audio asylum also ther are a couple mods for the player-one looks kinda simple :o

jackman

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2004, 04:28 pm »
I have a RAM CDP from Response Audio.  It's a modified Music Hall.  It sounds great with the AVA Fetvalve gear.  Best digital I have ever heard in my system and I have tried several highly regarded ones including the modded P3A, Nixon, Smart Dio, Linn players, etc.  Haven't tried the Toshiba but the price is right.  I absolutely love the sound of the RAM player.  A new LC clock really made a major difference in the clarity and definition of instruments. My player has Bybees however I don't know if they make a difference because I never listened to it without.  

Background silence on the RAM is completely black and it has no issues with sibilance in my system.  In fact, the sound is very detailed and smooth sounding.  I can listen to it for hours without any fatigue.  I highly recommend this player with the AVA gear.  

Jack

rosconey

« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2004, 04:44 pm »
theres a used ram at agon ,i saw it yesterday-

grab it and take the 3950 back :mrgreen:

revelator

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2004, 06:44 pm »
:lol:
I also have the Ah 4000 tjoeb with upsampler. I had to upgrade the stock tubes -- too warm and not the best on dynamics or highs.  With the Siemmens 7308 is much better -- That's a plus on this piece of equipment, that it can be tailored to your taste.  Of course it is a little pricey compared to the latest Toshiba $60 dvd thing.  

I know it is not the best digital gear out there.  If I had to describe it -- it is like my newly FETVALVE AVA gear -- If I have to live with it for the rest of my life I'll be more than happy...

The crazy thing is that now I also have a phono stage with the T7SLR and it has taken my old 1980's Technics DD SL1800 mkII turntable to a higher level which I would say is more musical than any digital gear I have.  Now I'm thnking into upgrading the turntable!

I also recently purchased a Toshiba 3950 about a month ago for DVD movies playing in my bedroom . I'll have to  move it into the 2-ch. system and perform a shotout against my Sony ES and Ah 4000!

Happy listening.

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2004, 07:00 pm »
I saw that player also.  The RAM is an amazing player.  Also, Bill Baker at Response is a really good guy.  I like this player so much, my VPI vinyl setup is soon to be on the trading block.  I haven't listened to much vinyl since getting the player from Response.  It's as good sounding as it is looking!

Good luck,

Jack

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 31 Mar 2004, 02:01 am »
There is more to any piece of electronics than the inclusion of a tube.  This is true with preamps, CD players and amplifiers.  Just because somebody has a tube in their electronics doesn't make it "good".  There are huge issues involved that go way beyond the inclusion of a tube.  I can easily identify a few of them.  There is regulation, component distortion, parts quality, bypassing.... and much more that is way over my head.  Nonetheless, the basics that I do understand provide a very good basis for indentifying electronics quality on paper.  I offer this for a couple reasons.

1.  I am sure that guys who really "know" simply roll they eyes in dismay when folks seek a particular piece of electronics because it has a tube.  I believe Frank is one of these guys.

2.  There are some VERY good CD players (i.e. Wadia) that performed great and didn't have a tube.

3.  I suggest you try to discern quality with your ears whenever possible.  Choose a good symphony recording and listen, listen, listen.

4.  While I own a well regulated and slightly modified Anthem CD-1 (it has a tube), I think Frank's DAC is darn good too.

As you explore this, I suggest you call Frank on the telephone and ask him about his DAC.  It seems expensive, but there are reasons for this.  Sometimes it appears that better quality is available at a cheaper price... until education happens.

IMO, Frank's amps are killer.  I have "popped the hood" and found very good reasons for this.  There are extremely high quality parts implemented very well - IMO.

Please consider that I only repaired electronics for 3 years, and I have only been building speakers for about 7 years.  As such, my word is NOT the last word when it comes to these things.