A VMPS Secret OMG model coming soon

John Casler

A VMPS Secret OMG model coming soon
« on: 24 Oct 2010, 10:33 pm »
I have been discussing an OMG model of another of our speakers with B.

Sorry to say, I won't even know for sure if we can do it for a while, but it is so cool that I must let the "potential cat" out of the bag.

It would be the OMG equipped RM40!!

One of the problems is that the 10" TC Sounds driver isn't even available yet, and won't be until sometime next month.  So realistically it may not happen until 2011.

But can you imagine the RM40 with 2 10" OMG woofs in each tower?

Doug Ravizza

Re: A VMPS Secret OMG model coming soon
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:58 am »
... and hopefully available as a retrofit/upgrade?

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2010, 05:44 pm »
Yes, retrofits will be available.

Long Ear

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2010, 06:51 pm »
 :Sounds exactly what I've been hoping for! Sometimes on somewhat demanding source material my top woofers on my 40's will bottom out..bring on the tc sounds 10 inchers.
As always good job Brian. Looking forward to their availability with extreme interest & enthusiasm.

BobRex

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2010, 07:37 pm »
This might be a little tougher to pull off, but any chances the woofer will fit in the RM30s?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2010, 10:19 pm »
The TC sounds 10" is too deep to fit the RM 30 cabinet, unfortunately.  The current woofer clears the opposite baffle by about 1/2".

Brax

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2010, 10:21 pm »
I would think a single PR would be a problem using drivers with such long Xmax. Unless you eliminate the PR from the system and go with a sealed system.

I will be curious to see how Brian works this out.

John Casler

« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2010, 10:27 pm »
This might be a little tougher to pull off, but any chances the woofer will fit in the RM30s?

As B, said it won't fit even with a shoe horn, but I think the RM2 might also be able to become an OMG with the 12" TC :o :o :o

I am still a little concerned about the Lower RM40 WOOFER running into the "BIG BUMP" PR, but we'll see.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2010, 12:18 am »
With dual woofers that prodigious, do you even need a PR any more?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2010, 12:23 am »
Yes, you do.  Two woofers in a sealed enclosure will have a much higher F3 than one woofer in a sealed box.  What we will likely do is a hybrid of sealed and vented: upper woofer in a sealed 3 cu ft section of the RM40 box, and the lower woofer and PR in a 5 cu ft section of their own.  This could also be retrofitted to existing RM40's with baffles that could be inserted into the enclosure just below the upper 10" and glued in place air tight.

DFaulds

« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2010, 11:51 am »
What's the XO point and slope for this?  I've used a number of different TC drivers and while they are great drivers, they are truly sub drivers and should really be used with a low XO point and steep slope.

Of course, since these are a new design maybe they have different design goals.

John Casler

« Reply #11 on: 30 Oct 2010, 12:47 am »
What's the XO point and slope for this?  I've used a number of different TC drivers and while they are great drivers, they are truly sub drivers and should really be used with a low XO point and steep slope.

Of course, since these are a new design maybe they have different design goals.

I hope B, sees this question too, but we did discuss the possibilty of only using the TC 10" in the LOW Bass position and the UltraMega in the upper part, since the specs say 150hz for the upper range of the TC.

The present RM40 has a 280hz hinge to the neopanels (but has been as low as 155Hz in the past) so we may end up with only a pair of TC (for the Low Bass) in a pair of Rm40.

They actually won't be available to even play with until next month to see how they might work in real life app.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #12 on: 30 Oct 2010, 02:45 am »
I see no reason why the driver is spec'd only to 150Hz.  If it can stretch to 223Hz, we can use it in our multiway speakers.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 30 Oct 2010, 12:32 pm »
Consider the need for new grilles. The TC Sounds woofers will probably stick out too far for the current grilles.

Pez

« Reply #14 on: 5 Mar 2011, 11:50 pm »
Dredging this up to ask, OMG WTF is going on with this? Are they an option yet???? :o :o :o :o

simon wagstaff

« Reply #15 on: 6 Mar 2011, 02:31 pm »
I would definitely have an interest in an RM2 with the OMG woofer and flat ribbon tweeter like in a previous post.

that sounds like a real winner at it's price point and size.

Brian Cheney

« Reply #16 on: 6 Mar 2011, 06:17 pm »
We have a problem with the physical dimensions of the TC Sounds woofer baskets, which are substantially wider than standard.

The 10" woofer is a particular problem, since it is nearly 11" in outer diameter.  Our current 10" is 10 1/4", with a 9" dia throughole.  The TC 10 needs a 9 1/4" cutout.  In other words, the TC are not dropin replacements.

Even the Eminence Ultramegawoofers are about 1/8" wider in outer diameter than stock drivers.  Upgrades would require rabbitting out the reliefs and, in some cases, the througholes as well.

The new series of the VLA, RM50, and RM40 have been widened by about 1/2" to fit the TC's; these are available now.  There is room on the RM2 baffle for the Ultras and the TC sounds with some recutting.  The TC and the Ultra do not fit the current RM30.

lifewithmusic

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:41 am »
Brian, or John, can you tells us how the 10" TC Sounds woofer sounds in the new RM40s?

Are you using two of them per side, or just one?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2011, 04:15 pm »
We are using two per side, and the sound is considerably more defined, punchier, and more dynamic with the TC and (to a somewhat lesser extent) with the metal cone Ultramegawoofers, which have very similar specs except for Xmax.