Digital Integrated Amp

Barry

Digital Integrated Amp
« on: 5 Mar 2004, 03:11 pm »
Klaus,

I'm re-posting it as a new topic to get your attention.  Are you ready to share with us your plan?  Any chance for us to suggest what we want for a digital amp?

"For the digital amp, are you planning to make it an integrated amp. Given that it is straight forward to provide a digital interface for a digital amp, it would be attractive to have a volume control built-in to make it integrated amp. In this way, for those people who want to minimize ADC and DAC in the signal path.

Did you make decision on that? "

Barry

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2004, 05:31 am »
I'm always interested in all things digital:  I'd love a simple digital integrated amp.  A few coax ins, a toslink or two and maybe a USB input would be cool.  Eighty or a hundred watts would suffice, but more wouldn't be unwelcome! :notworthy:  :rock:

Barry

Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #2 on: 7 Mar 2004, 06:00 am »
Rob,

I agree.  It would be great if it can handle up to 24/192 signal.  An optional A2D conversion for backward compatibility for those devices which don't have digital out.  I think the major driver for digital amp is the pure digital signal path which potentially minimize the signal distortion.   Like Tact Audio, the integrated amp targets digital input with optional A2D conversion.   Unfortunately Tact Audio is too expensive as a digital amp.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #3 on: 7 Mar 2004, 06:38 am »
It seems Klaus is keeping his cards close to his vest on this one! :wink:   C'mon, Klaus, throw us a bone here! :o   Or maybe he's just sitting back getting a kick out of our wild speculations.

klaus@odyssey

Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #4 on: 8 Mar 2004, 04:45 am »
Hehehehehe,  cool.  Well,  it;s more like I don't have a clue. We're definitely thinking about this one,  and it makes sense,  and it's doable,  BUT  keep in mind that it has to be superb,  in line with the upcoming digital amps.

Late

JoshK

Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #5 on: 8 Mar 2004, 01:51 pm »
Ultimately for a dedicated music setup I think digital integrated with digital inputs will be the next wave, IMHO.  Adding an A2D seems it will only raise the cost to do it right, and the pro audio market already offers many great solutions, kinda like external phono stages of today.  

I think looking one step further down the road is even more interesting.  Incorporating a digital EQ/xo in the digital realm for active biamping with no D/A conversion (except the speaker level output).

Carlman

Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #6 on: 8 Mar 2004, 03:54 pm »
Quote from: klaus@odyssey
Hehehehehe,  cool.  Well,  it;s more like I don't have a clue. We're definitely thinking about this one,  and it makes sense,  and it's doable,  BUT  keep in mind that it has to be superb,  in line with the upcoming digital amps.

Late

It's been my experience that Odyssey gear is well-crafted and provides high-value.  If Odyssey is going to make a digital amp, I think they need to look to Bel Canto as a benchmark.  

People rave about Panasonic, Carver Pro, etc. but, it's just not in the same league as the BC stuff.  (IMO, YMMV, etc.)  BC has a 2-channel integrated for $2500.  If Odyssey produces something for signifigantly less that is at least as good, you will make money and lots of it.

Best of luck with this endeavour, if you choose to do it.

seti

Digital Integrated Amp
« Reply #7 on: 9 Mar 2004, 09:00 pm »
It'd be great to see Odyssey do something with the Tripath chips. They sound very good with very little tweaking. Just put in a good power supply.