Dan D'Agostino

werd

Dan D'Agostino
« on: 20 Oct 2010, 11:42 pm »
Anyone have any personal experience with these monoblocks? Looks real nice and a nice intro back into hi end.

http://www.dagostinoinc.com/products/

*Scotty*

Re: Dan D'Agostino
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2010, 12:49 am »
Here is a link to more information on Dan's new company. According to the article Dan's first product the Momentum monoblock amplifier  is supposed to begin shipping sometime this fall. At a price of $42,000 and no reviews yet it may be a while before we see someone post about personal experiences with it.
I like how it looks.
Scotty

werd

« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2010, 12:53 am »
OH!! hehe i thought it was out already...

turkey

« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2010, 02:06 pm »

I like how it looks.

I like how it looks except for the meter. It looks like it was an afterthought.

werd

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:01 pm »
Apparently he will be unveiling the Momentum series at the CES 2011. "Dan's official launch is CES in the Venetian #35-210". He will have a phono stage, new mono blocks, new pre, and cd player.

jasoncroft

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:37 pm »
I do not understand why it has such a high price?
Is the case and inside parts worth any where near that amount or is
it more the time it takes to design it that one is paying for?

Maybe someone can enlighten me as the price does confuse me.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:51 pm »
I don't hate the way it looks but it kind of looks like a bathroom scale with the dial in a slightly different place

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:54 pm »
I don't hate the way it looks but it kind of looks like a bathroom scale with the dial in a slightly different place

:lol:

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2011, 11:55 pm »
Maybe since I've put on a few pounds a bathroom scale of that design might be good so I can try to lose enough to see the dial better :green:

mclsound

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2011, 12:09 am »
I do not understand why it has such a high price?
Is the case and inside parts worth any where near that amount or is
it more the time it takes to design it that one is paying for?

Maybe someone can enlighten me as the price does confuse me.
As much as I love Krell(Dan D'),their prices are absolutely a laugh.If one buys their $20,000 product new,a couple of months later its worth half price!!!!
I am sure Dan will have the same effect.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 20 Jan 2011, 12:41 am »
I suppose if one were to wait for a couple of years they could see if the products have merit by watching the used market prices.  Some things actually appreciate but the norm is 50-60% of retail on most of it.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath.  If Mr. D'Agostino has decided to reinvigorate himself through a new endeavor and he knocks peoples socks off with new, innovative dseigns that perform as promised then it may be a while before the used prices are "reasonable".

Thanks Phil A, best laugh I've had today!  I also do not care for the meter as it looks like it is supposed to be retro but the chassis screams George Jetson to me.  I would have tried to come up with a more futuristic meter to match the sleek styling of the case.  I like the copper heatsinks but with the prices of copper I wonder if that effects the retail price?

Pez

« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2011, 01:06 am »
  At a price of $42,000 and no reviews yet it may be a while before we see someone post about personal experiences with it.
I like how it looks.
Scotty

I bought one on a whim, it's aight.  :?

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:41 am »
For some strange reason I do not feel as though Mr. Pez is dispensing truth in this instance.  :jester:

Thank you for the correction, davidrs.

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #13 on: 20 Jan 2011, 02:46 am »
For some strange reason I do not feel as though Mr. Pez is distributing truth in this instance.  :jester:

He Dispenses!  :D

werd

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jan 2011, 03:41 am »
Did anybody hear this at CES this year ?

TONEPUB

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jan 2011, 04:14 am »
Sounded very good in their room, with (I think) Wilson Sashas.  Heard a handful of jazz tracks that I was familiar with and initially impressed.

We are supposed to get them in for review sooner rather than later, so I will be anxious to compare them side by side to the Burmester 911's, the McIntosh MC 1.2kw's and the new Classe M300's.  All great amps at 11k, 22k and 60k per pair.

and, they aren't shipping till March, so you couldn't have bought a pair!  :)

JakeJ

« Reply #16 on: 20 Jan 2011, 03:23 pm »
Here is a link to the Audiogon photos of D'Agostino's CES setup.  Dunno it that's the new preamp and CD player but I doubt it since the design doesn't match.

http://live.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/ces.pl?&VT_35-210&RoomView&NV&st161&&&&&CES11

Pez

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2011, 04:03 pm »
For some strange reason I do not feel as though Mr. Pez is dispensing truth in this instance.  :jester:

Well I'm just a little frustrated with the whole process. 1st I buy the amp thinking it will match my Pioneer deck because of the silver, but then I realize they aren't even close. Oh well, I get it custom mounted in the Bugatti only to find the damned thing has a 220 4 prong plug. UGH! so down to Pepboys to pick up an inverter, they're out of stock so I had to order on Amazon. In the end it definitely sounds better than the Alpine amp I had, but now I'm having some sort of issue with my battery and I think the amp is the cause. Any advice would be great.  :(

davidrs

• Which do you value more, happiness or truth?
« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:04 pm »

Thank you for the correction, davidrs.

Jake,

I got scared there, not sure if we could deal with Jason moving up the food chain and being elevated to distribution rights on the truth, instead of simply just dispensing it.
 :)  :D

JakeJ

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2011, 05:47 pm »
Pez,
I say stuff a generator in the trunk or, if need be, tow it behind.  This ought to do the trick: http://www.generatorsales.com/order/John-Deere-30kW-Diesel-Generator-Enclosed.asp?page=JDE1PH30 Although you may have to convert the Bugatti to diesel.  :o

davidrs,
Agreed there is a major difference.  :thumb:

And thanks both of you for the morning chuckle!  Last night was a boring and tedious night at work.