Holy Stratos!!!

Anton

Holy Stratos!!!
« on: 5 Mar 2004, 01:08 am »
As many of you will probably know, I bought four Stratos monoblocks (not the extremes) about two and a half years ago (September 2001) to biamp a pair of Magneplanars 3.3R. Then I switched to Magneplanars 3.6R. However, due to the extremely low WAF of the Maggies, I acquired a new  pair of Silverline Sonata II directly from Alan Yun's Silverline factory, as there are no dealers in Puerto Rico. As soon as I heard the new speakers I was astonished at the soundstage, musicality, etc. So much that I have not thought about the Maggies anymore.

Yesterday I was at home due to a mild case of indigestion that prevented me from going to work (I am a University professor and my colleagues told me that the students were extremely happy, as they thought that a respite from "Wotan" was OK). So I decided to listen to several CDs. On hand was Gustav Mahler's 6th. Symphony in a minor, with Maurice Abravanel conducting the Utah Symphony Orchestra. This is a Vanguard Classics Ultra Analog production, using 20-bit SBM, a Sony proprietary analog to digital conversion system. I have the complete Mahler cycle on this label (and nine or ten additional cycles by other conductors/labels, besides many single symphony editions).

The record is fantastic!! There is a huge amount of information and very well recorded. The soundstage is huge (HUGE!!!). Dynamics are enormous, so much so that care is needed or you may blow a speaker.

The Stratos/Silverline combiantion is just fantastic!!! Detail, air and more air, musicality, soundstage, spatial cues by thousands, dynamics are frighteningly real, and not a hint of strain.

The Stratoses handled everything with aplomb while remaining cool (in all senses of the word). This is truly a marriage made in heaven!!!

BTW, try the Seventh Symphony as well.

djbnh

Hoy Stratos
« Reply #1 on: 5 Mar 2004, 01:41 am »
Sounds like that review could be posted on http://www.audioreview.com.  :D

Anton

Holy Stratos!!!
« Reply #2 on: 5 Mar 2004, 02:35 am »
djbnh:

I have already posted two reviews: once before the Stratos were properly burned-in and one after. They wre posted under my real name.

Santo

Holy Stratos!!!
« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2004, 02:54 am »
I agree with Anton. Have a pair of Extreme Monos driving Sonata I's. The Silverlines are efficient enough to get along well with much lighter amps, but absolutely light up with the Extremes. Good marriage.

AlexG

• Industry Participant
Holy Stratos!!!
« Reply #4 on: 13 Mar 2004, 04:10 pm »
Anton,

Very nice and well put review on your Stratos/Silverline combination and have to agree with you completely!

I am currently running a Khartago through a pair of Alan Yun's Silverline SR15 and the combination or as you indicated "marriage" is also of first rate with the Khartago amplifier....WOHH. I have promised Klaus my personal comments  regarding the Khartago of which I have been very impressed and still burning in very nicely. I will complete this soon hopefully. My days with Odyssey Audio and Klaus go back to the original Stratos serial 0035!, and has built from there.

There is no question in my mind that the combination between Odyssey amps and Silverline speakers is complete SYNERGY!!

All the best,

AlexG

Anton

Holy Stratos!!!
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2004, 04:59 pm »
Hi, AlxG!

Do let us know your impressions as soon as the Khartago is burned-in.

Happy listening!