How do you connect speaker cable directly to the driver?

bdh

I've read several recommendations to connect the speaker cable directly to the driver and avoid binding posts and internal wiring, etc. for the best sound.  However the connections to all the drivers in my speakers are just little clips.  How do I securely connect this quite heavy and stiff cable (currently with spades) to those little clips?  I don't see any safe way to do it without getting a wire and attaching a female clip on it and then securely connecting the wire to the speaker cable spade.  Which is hardly different than using a binding post and internal speaker wiring.

JohnR

Re: How do you connect speaker cable directly to the driver?
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:04 pm »
I used clipleads on mine. Those little alligator teeth really make a metallic weld.

But seriously ;) I think I'd go with the binding posts... Where have you read this recommendation?

Bemopti123

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2010, 05:53 pm »
There are usually very fine metal leads that go from any sort of binding post to the voice coil.  The sonic advantage would be had if you solder very high quality wire to these metal leads.  Nevertheless, the possibility of damage that comes from stressing the wire which would in turn tug at the metal leads would really make me consider doing anything of the sort.  Unless you give some slack to the speaker wire and then make a physical mechanism to stop it from tugging the solder/joint section.  Perhaps tie part of it to part of the speaker basket/arm? 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:38 am »
I've read several recommendations to connect the speaker cable directly to the driver and avoid binding posts and internal wiring, etc. for the best sound.  However the connections to all the drivers in my speakers are just little clips.  How do I securely connect this quite heavy and stiff cable (currently with spades) to those little clips?  I don't see any safe way to do it without getting a wire and attaching a female clip on it and then securely connecting the wire to the speaker cable spade.  Which is hardly different than using a binding post and internal speaker wiring.
Congratulations, you read and supose right, this is the obvious truth very few people understand, the adagio ''less parts are more sound quality'' are true indeed.

if you cut the speaker cable connector(sometimes a expensive one) and solder it in the speaker terminals you will have more quality on the music of course, it is not difficult understand this fact.
The same is true on interconnect cables on both sides, power cables on both sides etc etc the audio market have various integrated amps with better sound than a separates pre + power amp, part of this sound quality are from the non-existence of the pre to power interconnect cable, and various connectors and more a mechanical contact.

Avoid use solder with lead, the best solder are those with tin(96%) and silver(4%) only, as Silthec, WBT and Furutech.  Unforntunatelly this is a usefull or practical tweak for fullrange drivers, if your loudspeaker have a crossover you will have more work solder to do this idea.
Heavy speaker cable must be hold on some place as at the loudspeaker wall, for not being loose.
Temporary push fit connhectors and clips are good for testing.
This is the right way, Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:51 am »
I used clipleads on mine. Those little alligator teeth really make a metallic weld.

But seriously ;) I think I'd go with the binding posts... Where have you read this recommendation?

It's alive........it's alive!!!

JohnR

« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2010, 02:58 am »
Heh heh , yeah, it took a couple of full days of tweaking there to get it sounding good. Working on next version soon

apol to OP for OT

bdh

« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:37 pm »
I've used alligator clips plenty in my lifetime.  :duh:

But yeah, I don't see anyway to make the attachment other than what FULLRANGEMAN describes.  Unfortunately cutting the spades off and stripping the speaker cable wires and then soldering them onto the drivers is not something I comfortably look forward to unless I plan on keeping the speakers and speaker cables for quite a long time.  I'll have to try to rig something with the spades in direct contact to the clips to see if the improvement justifies the trouble of the hardwiring.

Thanks.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:13 pm »
THis is a great tuning for DIY loudspeakers as mine.  But If I had a expensive speaker cable or famous brand speakers I would not do it at all.
Regards, Gustavo

>Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a cat or dog from the street. On the streets they live only two years average.

bdh

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2010, 09:08 pm »
But if I'm trying to get the best sound possible out of my system by doing this, why wouldn't I be using some great speaker cable?  Cables can always be re-terminated.  Now playing around with super expensive speakers would be a different matter.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2010, 03:05 am »
But if I'm trying to get the best sound possible out of my system by doing this, why wouldn't I be using some great speaker cable?  Cables can always be re-terminated.  Now playing around with super expensive speakers would be a different matter.
Well remembered, I forget speakers cables can be re-terminated.  If the connector use solder(not crimped/pressed) it can be used again.
Gustavo

JohnR

« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2010, 11:48 pm »

You could make your own cables, and put the little push-on thingies right on them - ? Or just solder the cable right onto the driver. One of the CAT-5 recipes might work (less weight/bulky). I'm a bit confused though - what speakers are these anyway, is there no crossover?