Class D

werd

Class D
« on: 18 Oct 2010, 03:22 pm »
Hello folks

Feel free to post your product links, info and anything else under the sun of class D here.

Please use threads to further up in questions and conversation regarding this solid state class.

Freo-1

Re: Class D
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jan 2011, 02:53 pm »
OK, here goes.

I found this while researching Class D amps (It's pretty obvious that this gent is not keen on them)

http://www.hificritic.com/downloads/Class-D.pdf

Now, I briefly owned a Rowland 102, and at first, I was impressed.  However, over time, I stared to notice issues with the sound that I was not happy with.  I switched back to my old Threshold 400A, and the difference was significant.   Needles to say, I sold the Rowland.

So, let the debate go forward.

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2011, 03:35 pm »
I still own a version of a digital amp (JVC EX A1), and really enjoy it some days.  In fact, I could absolutely live with it in my main system, but further exploration offered some interesting finds.

I have owned a ton of digital amps over the past 7 years - Teac, JVC, Panasonic, Sharp, all in various states of modification.  They provided me with sound better than my old Sugden integrated.  I find that the tightness of the bass was very alluring, and when power conditioning was employed, the top end smoothed out nicely.

For me, it was the search for the best affordable amp for my OB mains that led me to Class A tubes.  I have enjoyed EL84's in single ended configuration for over 4.5 years now.

But, I find that it is synergy that drives amp selection, rather than thinking that any format is outright better than another.

Just my $0.02.

bummrush

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jan 2011, 05:22 pm »
 although a bit dated by digitals evolving move forward,?????
 this was the only mag to lay it on the line for just how crappy these amps sounded or sound ,depending on if you even think they have improved over the last 4 years or so..
 I liked the sound of mine at first too but after extened listening, couldnt wait to get rid of em.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2011, 08:04 pm »
although a bit dated by digitals evolving move forward,?????
 this was the only mag to lay it on the line for just how crappy these amps sounded or sound ,depending on if you even think they have improved over the last 4 years or so..
 I liked the sound of mine at first too but after extened listening, couldnt wait to get rid of em.

Hard to understand just where the sound improvements could come from with the switching technology employed.  Every class D type amp seems to have many of the characteristics mentioned in the article.