Cambridge Dac Magic: Cheap but Significant Upgrade?

Mass. Wine Guy

Cambridge Dac Magic: Cheap but Significant Upgrade?
« on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:22 pm »
The Cambridge Dac Magic gets a lot of favorable writeups. For a simple two-channel system (w/solid state components) with only a CD player for a source, 1) is a DAC a wise investment for improved sound; and 2) Is this particular unit a good one for around $400?

Thank you.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
Re: Cambridge Dac Magic: Cheap but Significant Upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:40 pm »
I have read very good things about the DAC Magic..I added this DAC to my system and its flexibility as a DAC/Tube Buffer/Pre-amp etc. opened up a lot of options as I have continued on in this hobby. It has a tube output or a SS output so you can tube roll if you want....just a thought.
http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/Grant_Fidelity_Tube_DAC-09

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:59 pm »
I have a problem with Ian Grant so I can't buy his products.

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:36 am »
Mass Wine Guy, there are a lot of cheaper options than the DacMagic. I won't make a specific cheap and cheerful recommendation as I'm currently exploring the very cheap + modified options, but there is a long thread here about something called a Maverick that seemed to be well received, you can find and read that for ideas.

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2010, 12:58 am »
My money went to Maverick D1 tube DAC with some easy tweaks (replace 2 op amps - easy....even the caveman can do it), Western Electric or Raytheon tube upgrade, Pangea Power cable upgrade and you are set for ..... less then $300.
If you want something much better then this wonderful DAC, prepare to spend around a grand.

and do not forget D1 isn't only a DAC. It can be used as a preamplifier (one of AC members is working on improving D1 pre section) and not to bad headphone amp.

Cheers
Mariusz

Watson

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2010, 01:42 am »
The Cambridge Dac Magic gets a lot of favorable writeups. For a simple two-channel system (w/solid state components) with only a CD player for a source, 1) is a DAC a wise investment for improved sound; and 2) Is this particular unit a good one for around $400?

I like the DACmagic a lot. I don't own one, but one of the local hifi stores uses it as the source in one of its rigs, so I've listened to it a moderate amount. It's good for the money, certainly, and it would be an upgrade to most low cost CD players and computer rigs. It's also plenty flexible. The one really nice thing about the DACmagic is the selectable digital filter; you can play around with it to find the tuning that you prefer. It really drove home for me the value of the "apodizing" type filters that several DAC manufacturers are using these days (Ayre, etc.).

There are tons of options out there, but this one is pretty decent. It's not so esoteric that you won't be able to sell it when/if you upgrade, either.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:07 am »
I don't know anything about the Maverick, but the DacMagic is a solid platform that lends itself well to upgrades, though that may render it no longer 'cheap and cheerful'. A good linear PS is a place to start. I'm suprised that modders like Wayne at Bolder haven't played w/ this unit. Maybe there are just too many good low cost DAC units out there now that the engineers finally have a handle on digital processing.

I've got a highly modded one that sounds great, although still a tad bit clinical for my taste. I'd love to hear a Tranquility, but I want flexible input options (I like my DVD concert vids) I don't want to be limited to just USB.

Before you ask, I can't talk about the specifics. The guy who modded mine did it just as an experiment and has no interest in doing any production units. I was asked not to discuss it.

The variable filter function doesn't really seem to do much. However, the phase button is fun to play with. Some recordings sound better (to me) when the absolute phase is reversed.

Mariusz

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2010, 02:29 am »
I don't know anything about the Maverick, but the DacMagic is a solid platform that lends itself well to upgrades, though that may render it no longer 'cheap and cheerful'. A good linear PS is a place to start. I'm suprised that modders like Wayne at Bolder haven't played w/ this unit. Maybe there are just too many good low cost DAC units out there now that the engineers finally have a handle on digital processing.

I've got a highly modded one that sounds great, although still a tad bit clinical for my taste. I'd love to hear a Tranquility, but I want flexible input options (I like my DVD concert vids) I don't want to be limited to just USB.

Before you ask, I can't talk about the specifics. The guy who modded mine did it just as an experiment and has no interest in doing any production units. I was asked not to discuss it.

The variable filter function doesn't really seem to do much. However, the phase button is fun to play with. Some recordings sound better (to me) when the absolute phase is reversed.

I share your reasoning towards limitations of Tranquility DAC.  Also there seems to be a whole lot to choose from in under $500 DAC category then say 5 years ago. Digital is booming and we should see a whole lot more goodies coming out on the market.  Integrating PC into dedicated stereo system with easy/clean interface seems like the way of the future. BTW,  I've Wyred II coming my way - my pick over Tranquility (for above mentioned reasons)

Mariusz

RCduck7

« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2010, 08:25 pm »
Well, here's an other recommendation for the Maverick TubeMagic D1 in comparison to a Cambridge Audio DacMagic...

http://www.digitalaudioreview.com.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/80-maverick-tubemagic-d1

But at the end of the review, the reviewer points out that a pricey Bel Canto DAC 3 will sound better.
when i searched a bit further into the Bel canto DAC 3 i read someone's experience that he liked his cheaper matrix mini over his Bel Canto DAC 3!!  :o :scratch:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Just-received-Matrix-Mini-i-Dac-HeadPhone-amp

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #9 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:44 pm »
The Maverick Website appears to be kaput.

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
« Reply #10 on: 18 Oct 2010, 09:47 pm »

2gumby2

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:17 am »
I have the Musical Fidelity V-DAC and I think it is a pretty good value and I heard the new Emotiva DAC at RMAF last weekend and it seems very nice as well. Both are worth checking out.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2010, 03:25 am »
I use to own a DAC Magic, the earlier version and a whole host of other Cambridge CDPs.  Great stuff at a low price point, but someone steered me into a Beresford 7520 DAC.  I bought one and I'm very happy using it with my Cambridge CDP as a transport.  The Cambridge isn't even close to being acceptable now that I've Beresford handling the digital conversion.  There are a number of reports comparing the DAC Magic to the Beresford.  Google...

Mariusz

« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2010, 05:24 am »
I just saw this new Jolida DAC in RMAF report. It is high resolution USB tube DAC for $350!!!! No op amps either. Cool!
Worth looking into.

Mass. Wine Guy

« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2010, 12:34 pm »
A Jolida anything for $350 is worth looking at. Thanks.

But ytou can't run this in a regular two channel system because it only has a USB input.

The Beresford TC-7510 sounds extremely promising.

Then again, my Arcam CD-72 sounds pretty good. Isn't it supposed to have a decent DAC in it?
« Last Edit: 20 Oct 2010, 01:34 pm by Mass. Wine Guy »

BobC

« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:01 pm »
I've got a DACMagic and have no complaints.  I think I paid <$400 and feel it does a great job for the money.  Tried it side-by-side against my Arcam DV78 at the time (DVD player I know, but plays CDs very well too) and liked the DAC better.  Plus I wanted to integrate with a Logitech Duet, so the Arcam was gone.

Is there something better?  Probably, but not at my local dealer at the time.  So I went with it.

I certainly do not have the urge to swap it out.  When I do, either the technology will have progressed much further, or it'll be for a more refined / capable unit (probably more expensive  :roll: ).

Mariusz

« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2010, 01:46 pm »
A Jolida anything for $350 is worth looking at. Thanks.

But ytou can't run this in a regular two channel system because it only has a USB input.

The Beresford TC-7510 sounds extremely promising.

Then again, my Arcam CD-72 sounds pretty good. Isn't it supposed to have a decent DAC in it?

I did not bother to dig deeper but it's possible that   there are other input options beside USB. 

MLS

« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:22 pm »
Does anybody have anymore info on the Jolida DAC? 

I tried googling it and all I got was the info on the little $99 usb one.  I spoke with Michael Allen at the Capital Audio Fest and he said this tubed DAC was in the works and would be in the $300+ dollar range.  I already miss my Jolida Cd player that I sold a few weeks back so maybe this DAC will suit my ears and wallet.   

Scott

batmanslc2

« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2010, 08:26 pm »
a few months ago I compared the MF V-dac to the Matrix mini-i.  I was expecting to keep the MF as i have a Musical Fidelity Pre amp that i really enjoy.  YOu can find reviews, but for me the Matrix did everything better  ymmv

RCduck7

« Reply #19 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:19 pm »

Thank you.

In reply to the topic starter, i have a (modified) DacMagic and i kept it in my system and decided to sell my much more expensive Xindak DAC-8. Yes, the Xindak sounded more refined, open and airy, vocals were nice to, but it was difficult to live with the somewhat thin sound in the lower registers, the DACMagic had a bit more weight and punch to the sound allthough the soundstage went a little bit smaller. For me, weight to the sound is a good fundation for music. I read the Xindak DAC-9 suposed to better in that regard though but i haven't experienced it yet.

Since there is an intrest in, and recommendations to the Maverick and Matrix DAC it would be nice to read a review between these two as both seem to have an analogue sound. But i'm curious to the Jolida to of coursse.