RMAF best of the best

Danny Richie

Re: RMAF best of the best
« Reply #80 on: 22 Oct 2010, 01:19 am »
Yeah but they have an introductory offer on that new signature version for $1,895.

Jonathon Janusz

« Reply #81 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:42 am »
Yay!!! DAC talk. :)

So, anybody at the show have any details on the Signature series DAC?  I've got the original (very nice piece of gear) and am curious what is in this newer fancy model?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #82 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:08 am »
Yay!!! DAC talk. :)

So, anybody at the show have any details on the Signature series DAC?  I've got the original (very nice piece of gear) and am curious what is in this newer fancy model?
There are quite a few differences and improvements, but here is a quick overview. 

Improved power supply - larger transformer, faster bridge rectifier and more supply capacitance.

Elimination of some possible current limiting components

A new circuit in the analog output stage - very cool   8)

Improved (new) circuit board design.

Optimized signal path

Other stuff and some newly trained musical faeries living in there in charge of the magic coming out  :D

Dave

nickd

« Reply #83 on: 22 Oct 2010, 03:53 pm »
I just read JA's show blog and there it was a beautiful pic of the Super V based system :o

I have to "eat some crow" now (tastes a little like chicken) :lol:

JA is a stand up guy! I absolutely take back any statments that may have made him appear (unintentionally) otherwise.

Danny, the fact your room got a mention is more amazing than you may know. I know poeple who have spent mega bucks on ads in the past and had killer showrooms at big shows worldwide that didn'e even get a mention.

Keep up the hard work! People are starting to notice that you're on the cutting edge.

Danny Richie

« Reply #84 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:26 pm »
JA actually spent a good 15 or 20 minutes in there setting in the sweet spot of the second row. I guess the fact that the system held his attention that long wasn't exactly a bad thing.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #85 on: 22 Oct 2010, 04:56 pm »
Too bad it probably wasn't expensive enough.  :wink:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #86 on: 22 Oct 2010, 06:48 pm »
Just add a zero to the end when they ask you the price :P

TomS

« Reply #87 on: 26 Oct 2010, 08:01 pm »
Very nice mention from Steven Stone's show reports.  Congrats boys.

http://www.avguide.com/blog/tas-rmaf-steven-stone-digital-and-new-technologies?page=2

Best Sound (for the lowest price)

"The best sound from a modestly priced system came from Room 2024 where the GR Research Super V speakers were holding court. With the tricked out Mac Mini from Mach 2 and the dB Audio labs’ Tranquility Signature DAC as well as Uberbusses all around, the results were something I could easily live with for a long time."

oscar

« Reply #88 on: 27 Oct 2010, 05:54 pm »
There were a couple of rooms I liked better at RMAF but the GR Research room was one of the very few rooms where I thought I could actually afford to buy the system. 

In fact, I succumbed to Gary's offer on the Tube Amps.   Move the stereo source(s) and Dodd preamp to the living room and add a pair of speakers, ICs, and power cords and I finally have a completely standalone 2-channel setup like everyone else seems to have.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #90 on: 28 Oct 2010, 03:56 am »

jeffh

« Reply #91 on: 28 Oct 2010, 11:05 pm »
Danny, Here is some good coverage over at Stereo Mojo

http://www.stereomojo.com/RMAF%202010/RockyMountainAudioFest2010pt9.htm

outlawrocketman

« Reply #92 on: 29 Oct 2010, 08:55 pm »
I notice that the modded mac-mini uses the "play" open source player to send the bits from the mini to the DAC.  Has anyone compared that to the "Pure Music" commercial offering? http://www.channld.com/puremusic/index.html

As always, looking for cheap mods.

Also, what format to mac folks prefer for best sound? I use Apple Lossless so the songs can play on my ipods, iphones, etc, but I could convert them to something else if it's markedly better. Advice welcome!

--Peter

Rclark

« Reply #93 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:14 pm »

Some day, probably more than a year from now, I intend to build Super-V's as a living room system for 2.0 music/tv. At this point I can only imagine what they sound like, but it's kinda like imagining what it might be like to drive a Ferrari. I still know I want them. I'd do it sooner but that's a pretty pricey kit.

Is there a massive difference between the V2 and the SuperV?

Danny Richie

« Reply #94 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:23 pm »
I notice that the modded mac-mini uses the "play" open source player to send the bits from the mini to the DAC.  Has anyone compared that to the "Pure Music" commercial offering?

Most of the guys using Pure Music prefer "Play". I'll let you know soon as I just bought Pure Music for my new Mac Mini.

I burn everything as an AIFF file.

Is there a massive difference between the V2 and the SuperV?

Yes actually. The resolution, mid-range, and detail levels are all up a notch. Sensitivity is a lot higher. Dynamics are much better. And the bass response of the Super-V is on another level, not just over the V-2, but over everything else.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #95 on: 29 Oct 2010, 10:26 pm »
The Super V has that servo sub that is absolutely the most realistic bass that I have ever heard- maybe even faster and more accurate than my LS9s. I'll never forget listening to the bottom notes of a grand piano on the original V1.  I haven't heard the V2.

ADD

• Industry Participant
« Reply #96 on: 31 Oct 2010, 04:40 am »

I did not make the show but the buz here in the land of enchantment is your speakers killed.
I have asked PI AUDIO GROUP to hurry but to take his time building his pair.According to Dave its going to make a lot of people here mad that they spent so much for so little. Any way Dave speaks very highly of you and Dave doesnt like anyone, or maybe its just me he doesnt like. I will meet you one these days.
Igor

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #97 on: 31 Oct 2010, 05:55 am »

I did not make the show but the buz here in the land of enchantment is your speakers killed.
I have asked PI AUDIO GROUP to hurry but to take his time building his pair.According to Dave its going to make a lot of people here mad that they spent so much for so little. Any way Dave speaks very highly of you and Dave doesnt like anyone, or maybe its just me he doesnt like. I will meet you one these days.
Igor
Awwwww, CRAP.  Who let you out!!???   :lol:    Easy, Igor: back to your cage...  How about a little cryoed green chili?   There you go.  I knew you'd like it.  You didn't bite anyone while you were out did you.
  :nono:
Dave

drewm

« Reply #98 on: 9 Nov 2010, 01:16 am »
If I had only known things got better since Friday...

I'm pretty sure Danny remembers me, I was one of the first guys in his room early on Friday asking about his LS9s, and he remembered me when I returned later that day for a second listen.

I actually wasn't too drawn in with the early Friday setup, which I'm sure he could see in my facial expression, although a lot of it was probably because I was expecting a lot from Danny.'s setup. Seeing that many thought it was the best of show, I'm a bit sad I didn't return on Sunday.

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #99 on: 9 Nov 2010, 02:41 am »
If I had only known things got better since Friday...

I'm pretty sure Danny remembers me, I was one of the first guys in his room early on Friday asking about his LS9s, and he remembered me when I returned later that day for a second listen.

I actually wasn't too drawn in with the early Friday setup, which I'm sure he could see in my facial expression, although a lot of it was probably because I was expecting a lot from Danny.'s setup. Seeing that many thought it was the best of show, I'm a bit sad I didn't return on Sunday.
Getting sound at a show is very hard and always a work in progress if the end result is to have a good sounding room.  It is especially hard when the room is a snake like the one we had.  The hole in the wall between the kitchenette and the main room.  The bass suckout was terrible.  We had a new DAC, new amps added to the room mix.  Some cable changes and getting Gary's new hybrid amps online along with tweaking the diffusers worked wonders.  Then there was the whole Mach2 Mac Mini thing.  I'm sad you didn't return Sunday, too.  The system was kicking serious butt.  Next year come by early and late in the show and we'll show you how we tweak system quirks out.  That is half of the battle in getting good sound at a show or at home.

Dave