Bolder Cable at RMAF

Wayne1

Bolder Cable at RMAF
« on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:53 pm »
I am showing with Lou Hinkley of Daedalus Audio in room 1030.

I hope to meet up with most of you that post here.

There are some new products I will be showing for the first time.

I have a fully modded Logitech Touch. Please stop by to listen to just how good it sounds. It is powered by a Deluxe power supply placed inside a custom wood case by Lou Hinkley. In our set-upcomparison, we preferred the sound of the modded Touch to the transport of the AMR-777 feeding it's own DAC.

I finally got Bill O'Connell's personal EE Mini-Max DAC up and working (with a lot of help from Mike Galusha and Paul Hynes). It is working and sounding so excellent, we intend to use it in place of the AMR-777. The AMR 77 should be coming by the room today so some things may change.

I have custom built the crossover system for Daedalus Audio's New Bass Modules. The  crossover is a passive, line level high pass. They are plugged into the inputs of the Atma-Sphere MA-1s. It is a first order crossover to remove the lowest frequencies from the full range Ulysses to ease the current demand on the MA-1s.

The lo-pass is an active third order. The electronics are also enclosed in a beautiful wooden case by Lou Hinkley.

There are a few balanced cables and AC cables of mine being used in the system. The last thing is a Harmonic Technology CyberLight digital cable. It is being powered by a BOLDER Ultimate PS designed for 12 volts.

All in all, I feel the new mods and product do enhance the sound of Room 1030.

Everyone on AC, please do stop by.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Bolder Cable at RMAF
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2010, 09:21 pm »
I just caught very positive remarks (best source of the show) for the modded EE DAC with modded Touch.

Congrats Wayne!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:24 am »
I stopped by the Daedalus room several times and I liked it best when the modded EE was the source.  One of my favorite rooms (and sound) of the show.

chester_audio

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2010, 02:29 pm »
Hi Wayne,

It was a real pleasure exhibiting in the room with you and Lew. Thanks for being patient with a show noobie like me. I had a real good time, even though I worked my butt off.

Thanks again for the Grisman lp! That was an awesome gesture on your part and I hope I lived up to your actions.

Best to you in the future with your DAC. Even though I prefer analog I heard great sound from the Sqeezebox/DAC setup.   :thumb:

Dan Edmondson

Wayne1

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2010, 05:30 pm »
Thanks for the comments and compliments.

The EE DAC was just given back to me Thursday night by Mike Galusha. We put it in the system and Lou insisted that it could not leave. He was so impressed with it that he is ordering one from Bill O'Connell. He is having it shipped direct to me for mods.

With all the difficulties with our room, I didn't really have a chance to look the DAC over. Yesterday I put it on my bench and found that we were listening to the stock tube for all of RMAF. I had pulled the CCS out of the tube circuit when trying to find a hum and never reinstalled it. That went back in yesterday and the tube circuit opened up an extended some more. The CCS WILL be added to all mods now.

The biggest ego boost for me of the show was when a gentleman came in Saturday and started asking some questions about the DAC and my mods. I mentioned some of what I had done and played a few tracks. He then introduced himself as the person who designed the ESS 9018 chip. He then asked that "Money for Nothing" be played. Afterward he said that was song he used throughout the chip development process. He then said that the modded EE DAC was the first DAC he had heard that got everything he designed the chip to do correct. Soundstage width, depth, height, dynamics, etc. were just what he intended.

I was quite happy.  :green:

Bill@LakeGeorge

« Reply #5 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:07 pm »
That's great Wayne, I can't wait till mine gets here. :green:

highfilter

« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2010, 08:08 pm »
He then asked that "Money for Nothing" be played. Afterward he said that was song he used throughout the chip development process. He then said that the modded EE DAC was the first DAC he had heard that got everything he designed the chip to do correct. Soundstage width, depth, height, dynamics, etc. were just what he intended.

I was quite happy.  :green:

Congratulations, Wayne. That's an amazing thing to have happen.  :thumb:

I wish I was there to hear Money for Nothing, it's one of my top reference tracks that I play all the time to test and enjoy my gear.

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2010, 10:48 pm »
Hi Wayne,

"He then introduced himself as the person who designed the ESS 9018 chip. He then asked that "Money for Nothing" be played. Afterward he said that was song he used throughout the chip development process. He then said that the modded EE DAC was the first DAC he had heard that got everything he designed the chip to do correct. Soundstage width, depth, height, dynamics, etc. were just what he intended."

I believe the gentleman's name is Bob Blair who designed the ESS 9018 and I'm sending him our DAC for him to do some testing on and  although the results won't be published as it is an in house thing, he will give us some further insight as to what we can do to take full advantage of the chip's capability in the future. :thumb:

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2010, 11:15 pm »
"With all the difficulties with our room, I didn't really have a chance to look the DAC over. Yesterday I put it on my bench and found that we were listening to the stock tube for all of RMAF. I had pulled the CCS out of the tube circuit when trying to find a hum and never reinstalled it. That went back in yesterday and the tube circuit opened up an extended some more. The CCS WILL be added to all mods now."

Wayne, What is a CCS? :scratch:

Wayne1

« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2010, 01:48 am »
CCS is a Cascoded Current Source. It is two MOSFETs connected in a cascode arrangement to provide a constant current source to the tube. They replace the anode resistor. They can be preset to provide a constant amount of bias for the tube.

Wayne1

« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2010, 10:55 pm »
Some nice comments about the room and gear from Steven Stone of Absolute Sound:

"In Room 1030 the speakers were large while the rest of the system was relatively compact, and the overall sound was amazing. Daedalus’ Ulysses ($13,000) were driven by ModWright Instruments’ KWA 150 amplifier ($6000) and attached to a Bolder Cables DAC ($2000) and a Bolder Cables-modified Logitech Touch ($1500 including the Touch). The Touch modifications can be done a la carte as well. Bolder’s digital-only mod ($300) consists of improving power-supply delivery and decoupling the critical digital sections. Bolder also installs a custom voltage-regulator circuit just for the digital output section and clocks. Finally, all crystals and electrolytic capacitors have resonance-control material added. Analog section mods ($225) include improving power-supply delivery and decoupling it from the DAC chip. Then Bolder removes the electrolytic coupling capacitor from the analog signal path. The last of the Bolder mods is its deluxe power supply ($750), which uses a hand-crafted, point-to-point-wired circuit with a feed-forward shunt regulator."

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?

Pez

« Reply #12 on: 28 Oct 2010, 05:01 am »
I have to agree, the Touch/EE combo was blazin'! I think it was the best source at the show bar none.

kyrill

« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2010, 08:02 pm »
Praise where it should be

Congrats  :beer: