Does anyone make a basic Surround Sound Processor?

capwkidd

Does anyone make a basic Surround Sound Processor?
« on: 14 Oct 2010, 08:36 am »
When I say basic, I mean, it has, say, 1 to 6 HDMI inputs, maybe as many toslink/coax inputs, but does not waste space with analog inputs, and has DTS/DD/DTS MA, etc...?

Delta Wave

Re: Does anyone make a basic Surround Sound Processor?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2010, 01:34 pm »
You're going to be hard-pressed to find a processor without analog inputs.

Levi

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2010, 01:39 pm »
That's easy.  Just cover the analog port with a black tape.  LOL!

On a more serious note, Bryston is making an SP3 Surround Sound Processor that is a minimalist.  No tuner, no video switching, no multi-room etc...etc...which I don't need.   :thumb:

You're going to be hard-pressed to find a processor without analog inputs.

srb

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2010, 02:16 pm »
On a more serious note, Bryston is making an SP3 Surround Sound Processor that is a minimalist.  No tuner, no video switching, no multi-room etc...etc...which I don't need.

The not-yet-released Bryston SP3 has been in development for two years, and although you could describe it as "minimalist" because it lacks video switching or processing, it will most certainly have analog audio inputs and has been estimated to be priced somewhere in the region of $10K.

So as Delta Wave said, "You're going to be hard-pressed to find a processor without analog inputs".

Steve

machine

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:15 pm »
Might want to look at the Emotiva xmc-1.  It is not released yet, but might meet your needs.

cmryan21

« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:36 pm »
You didn't mention price so I'll point out that the ADA Suite 7.1 HD is sort of a minimalist design but does have analog inputs. It's also around 5K :o. But I figured I'd mention it because of it's slim profile.

Delta Wave

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:38 pm »
Might want to look at the Emotiva xmc-1.  It is not released yet, but might meet your needs.

I've been eyeing their stuff, their full surround processor looks pretty bare bones as far I've ever seen.

James Romeyn

• Industry Participant
  • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
    • James Romeyn Music and Audio, LLC
« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2010, 12:20 am »
With True HD receivers (you want this feature) starting about $500, the entire Gestalt of a processor seems moot.  Only if it's worth it to spend about 500% more to not have the unused power amps.  But digital power amps are practically weightless... 

I bet separate True HD processors start at $2500 or maybe more, but am happy to find out I'm wrong.

HT is purely an appliance now, like a blender.  The notion of building them w/o the required amps is pretty much absent already.   

Delta Wave

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:07 am »
With True HD receivers (you want this feature) starting about $500, the entire Gestalt of a processor seems moot.  Only if it's worth it to spend about 500% more to not have the unused power amps.  But digital power amps are practically weightless... 

I bet separate True HD processors start at $2500 or maybe more, but am happy to find out I'm wrong.

HT is purely an appliance now, like a blender.  The notion of building them w/o the required amps is pretty much absent already.   

What?  :scratch:

Phil A

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:25 am »
Just get something of recent vintage used such as - http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?homeproc&1292256804&/Integra-DTC-9.8

Jeff Ward

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2010, 01:43 am »
The easy answer is NO. I went the used route myself and picked up a Krell Showcase. No HDMi, but great sound for about 800. A Parasound HDMI switcher was about 100. Next step up for me would have cost 5-10x as much.

No recievers for me, thanks.

srb

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2010, 03:57 am »
capwkidd's question was if anyone knew of a minimalist surround processor that

1.  has HDMI, coax and toslink inputs
2.  has no analog inputs
3.  decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio

so in that context, I don't quite understand the recommendations for receivers, processors that don't decode the newer formats and HDMI switchers.

The closest match was the ADA Suite 7.1 HD that cmryan21 posted, having only 1 set of 7.1 analog inputs, but no stereo analog or composite, S-video or component video inputs.  But at $5K +, it is fairly expensive, but very sexy.

Steve

flintstone

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2010, 04:07 am »
Onkyo makes great stuff for every budget. I've owned pre-pros up to $3500, and the Onkyo stuff holds it's own (cutting edge company).

Dave

Delta Wave

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2010, 10:03 am »
capwkidd's question was if anyone knew of a minimalist surround processor that

1.  has HDMI, coax and toslink inputs
2.  has no analog inputs
3.  decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio

so in that context, I don't quite understand the recommendations for receivers, processors that don't decode the newer formats and HDMI switchers.

The closest match was the ADA Suite 7.1 HD that cmryan21 posted, having only 1 set of 7.1 analog inputs, but no stereo analog or composite, S-video or component video inputs.  But at $5K +, it is fairly expensive, but very sexy.

Steve

There's your answer... nice find!