Can I use polypropylene capcitors in place of electrolytic in my 6x4 P/S

nanchangbob

• So many tubes and so little time.
I've been reading posts here for some time but this is my first I've started.  I'm building a 6x4 power supply which I attached for Franks 6sn7 preamp.  I intend to use a dual mono design for the power supply.  Anyway as you can see it uses 3 150uf electrolytic capacitors and I was thinking of using some Solen 30uf or 40uf instead?  I was wondering if this was a good idea or if I should use some good electrolytic caps like the Panasonic TS series with polypropylene bypass caps.  Something like Sonic-caps. I did try to use the search but I had trouble finding what I was looking for.  Thanks for your help.

chrisby

I've used Solen Fast caps with great success in several small tube amp projects, although none of the power supplies were as elaborate as shown.

Provided they meet the voltage requirements, I can't see why not  - except of course for the physical dimension and cost factors - a full dual mono CLC PS filter stage with film caps can easily consume more cubic space and $$$ than a non-exotic OPT, and you generally want to hide the former .

With the choke filtered and regulated supply shown, a single low value ( e.g.  40uF or so) film cap at each B+ tap might be quite satisfactory.

nanchangbob

• So many tubes and so little time.
"I can't see why not  - except of course for the physical dimension and cost factors"   

Actually I am putting this in a two box design because I want the ability to change the preamp.  I already have a matisse preamp and I am building Franks 6sn7.  I work and live in China and the circuit boards for the power supply and main board were available.  So the space will be no issue.  As far as cost goes I don't mind spending some extra money on the parts if the improvements are obvious.  I read some people saying that 30uf or 40uf were enough on other designs.  I just wondered if it would be for this one? If not how large of capacitors should I use and is it worth it?  Thanks