jhm731

GIK QRD
« on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:54 am »
Anyone tried the GIK QRD?

highfilter

Re: GIK QRD
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:20 am »
Hi jhm731,

I ordered a pair of the GIK Monster QRDs on Aug 26. They are the QRD diffusers with a monster bass panel behind them inside the frame. Performance is very good and I couldn't be happier. I put each behind my listening position on the back wall, raised up 4 feet or so. Killing two birds with one stone with great bass trapping and great diffusion. The diffusion really opens up the room and makes it sound a lot larger than it is and the decay time on notes is wonderful. Really helps open up recordings and works wonders in smaller rooms. Soundstage is great and expands instruments wrapping around behind you.

One downside was when I received my order they were a wreck. The frames were broken apart and there was slight dents in the front panel. I assume some of it was from shipping, but a lot of the nails were bent back and not even long enough to proper secure the walls to the top of the frame etc. It looked like it was slapped together and the glue was not even properly sealed to hold everything together. I had to take them apart and remove the short bent nails and replace them with longer nails, and in greater quantity. Also reapplied glue etc. I should have sent them back but they were huge to move around and I didn't mind man-handling them. I understand these are not on the Web site because they are testing them out and are in "beta" phase I guess (I am assuming they don't want mass orders on them just yet). I cannot speak for the regular QRD panels that are on the site, but mine were not in a happy state when I got them. Just a word of caution. I jumped on right when I heard they were available, so maybe they have gained some experience on their procedures with them. Aside from them in rough shape, the wood is decent for the cost and the panel quality is similar to their other offerings.

They aren't offered up on the site but you can order them directly if you contact GIK. Performance wise I am very happy and would order again if I required more.  :)

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:08 am »
X2  :(

jhm731

« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:33 am »
highfilter-

Mahalo for the feedback.

If they can't get their products to you without damage, I doubt they would ship to Hawaii very well.

Guess I need to cross GIK off my list of room treatments.

Aloha,

Dan

MaxCast

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2010, 11:06 am »
Highfilter, you should have taken pictures, got approval and sent them back.  I'm sure most manufactures would want to know about quality, packing or shipping problems.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2010, 01:11 pm »
Sorry to hear about your problems.  We have made some changes in how the panels are built to make them much sturdier.

And yes, if there are ever problems with any of our products, we do want to know immediately and will be happy to replace them.

Bryan

DTB300

« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2010, 02:43 pm »
Guess I need to cross GIK off my list of room treatments.
Shipping problems happen to a lot of companies.  It is how the company helps you out "IF" there is a problem.  GIK has always been a great company to deal with and they bend over backwards to help out clients with problems - shipping, product, etc. 

Do not give up on GIK based on one post on a forum.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:18 pm »
GIK has always been a great company to deal with and they bend over backwards to help out clients with problems - shipping, product, etc. 

x100

I can't recommend Glenn & Bryan enough.

highfilter

« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2010, 04:19 pm »
Hey all,

I did take pictures of the damage and could have shipped them back, but I was personally really busy with business stuff and was not home that often to deal with it at the time. I was also anxious to get my system up and didn't want to ship them back and have to wait.

For the record, all my room treatments are from GIK (17 panels) and have had several orders from them, all in perfect condition. And they have always had great customer support and would have taken care of my damaged goods no problem. It just wasn't good timing for me and I patched them up myself without crying about it. I would order from them again.

Their products are of great quality and it wasn't my intention of steering anyone away, I'm just providing my actual experience with the product in this isolated case.

- Clayton

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2010, 05:08 pm »
Indeed...if Bryan or Glenn were not notified, they cannot improve upon their delivery of their product, so feedback is always appreciated. Nobody is perfect. GIK is an excellent company and all products I have received from them have always been in pristine condition.

Anand.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:17 pm »
Let's talk about diffusion, shall we?  There is NO issue with either products or service from two of the most honest guys in audio - Glenn and Bryan.

So about those prime numbers......

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2010, 06:33 pm »
7, 11, 13, 17...  Wow, that's pretty boring  :duh: :lol:

Seriously, I'd be happy to answer any questions about the QRD's or the D1's if anyone has any.  We will have 4 of the QRD's in the Iris room at RMAF this weekend as part of the room treatment.

Bryan

jhm731

« Reply #12 on: 14 Oct 2010, 09:50 pm »
Shipping problems happen to a lot of companies.  It is how the company helps you out "IF" there is a problem.  GIK has always been a great company to deal with and they bend over backwards to help out clients with problems - shipping, product, etc. 

Two people posted that they had trouble with shipping.

GIK only seems to offer one shipping method- Fedex Ground.

I've had trouble with packages sent by Fedex Ground to HI, so I have doubts about
a large GIK package getting to me without any damage, but I'm still interested.

Has anyone tried the QRDs on the wall behind their speakers?

Do the QRDs require stands?

highfilter

« Reply #13 on: 14 Oct 2010, 10:05 pm »
Has anyone tried the QRDs on the wall behind their speakers?

Do the QRDs require stands?

I haven't tried the QRDs behind my speakers. I would try it and let you know, but there's very limited room back there for me to move them behind.

I believe the QRDs should be placed so the speaker tweeters are level with the center of the QRD panels. So in my case, I have them on stands about 4ft above the ground. You get better coverage that way and it has been ideal in my setup. Of course every setup is different and it depends on the room and the speakers.

Mariusz

« Reply #14 on: 14 Oct 2010, 11:15 pm »
My Art panels came in  :P shape.
QRD  :( not so great...... but overall nice people. But a bit more attention must be paid to shipping method/packing. I am handy with wood so no big deal. But I had to build new frames for QRDs.
Product itself - great.
 :thumb:

jhm731

« Reply #15 on: 15 Oct 2010, 11:25 pm »

From RMAF 2010, looks like GIK QRDs on some type of stand.

Anyone have more info?

BTW- wouldn't the diffusers work better in center of the wall behind the speakers?

Charles Xavier

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2010, 08:04 am »

From RMAF 2010, looks like GIK QRDs on some type of stand.

Anyone have more info?

BTW- wouldn't the diffusers work better in center of the wall behind the speakers?

New metal stands on website. Didn't you get the email?

bpape

• Industry Participant
« Reply #17 on: 16 Oct 2010, 01:22 pm »
The 'stand' that the QRDs are on at the show is something we prototyped quickly to raise them up while allowing us to add some absorption down at the floor boundary. 

We tried several different configurations of the treatments we have here at the show and this one worked best.  We're dealing more with boundary effects with the Art Panels up front and the QRD's are addressing the rear wave of the open backed midrange driver in the SoundScapes.  QRD's are also placed at reflection points on the side walls since we have the space and the room has a lot of people in it which are good absorbers.

My Art panels came in  :P shape.
QRD  :( not so great...... but overall nice people. But a bit more attention must be paid to shipping method/packing. I am handy with wood so no big deal. But I had to build new frames for QRDs.
Product itself - great.
 :thumb:

Sorry you had issues with the shipping.  FedEx Ground is really the only decent way to ship oversize packages like this unless it's a huge shipment where we can make truck freight on a pallet pay. 

We did have a few problems with the QRD's initially during shipment but haven't had them lately.  If anyone has problems, PLEASE let us know.

Bryan

Mariusz

« Reply #18 on: 16 Oct 2010, 01:50 pm »
it is all good.  :)

jriggy

« Reply #19 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:37 pm »
I can attest to GIK's customer service too. Top notch!