Dedicated circuit in off the grid house

mikeeastman

Dedicated circuit in off the grid house
« on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:15 pm »
I live in an off the grid house which means I make my own a/c, I'm about to redo my system and am going to add a dedicated circuit for my a/c gear and would like to isolate it from the rest of the house, to eliminate any feed back from appliances or noisy circuits ( 20 plus yrs old house).How would I go about doing this? Also I was thinking about removing the plugs from the power cords of my a/c gear and hard wiring  them in J box, should I wire nut them or would it be better to solider them using silver solider? I'm relatively new to this so any help on this or any other suggestion would be appreciated,

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Dedicated circuit in off the grid house
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2010, 02:30 pm »
What do you use to make your own power?  Solar?

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2010, 05:58 pm »
Are you restricted by electrical codes (like the NEC) or by building codes?

mikeeastman

« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2010, 07:43 pm »
I have 1800 watts at 24V of solar panels and the power is stored in a 1350 amp hr battery bank. I try to follow NEC codes, so ideally all grounds and neutrals would be bonded. But of course I live in the sticks and don't have to deal with inspectors. I was hoping that I could use some kind of isolating transformer or something similar to isolate the ground and neutral

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2010, 03:17 pm »
I have 1800 watts at 24V of solar panels and the power is stored in a 1350 amp hr battery bank. I try to follow NEC codes, so ideally all grounds and neutrals would be bonded. But of course I live in the sticks and don't have to deal with inspectors. I was hoping that I could use some kind of isolating transformer or something similar to isolate the ground and neutral
Mike, I am solar and alternative energy stupid so I will bow to others that know and I'll try to learn something.

Dave

mikeeastman

« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2010, 05:04 pm »
Dave, from the point the a/c leaves the inverter every thing is the same as an on the grid house.What would you do to isolate a circuit in a regular house?.

Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2010, 07:33 pm »
Dave, from the point the a/c leaves the inverter every thing is the same as an on the grid house.What would you do to isolate a circuit in a regular house?.

Mike
Mike, circuit isolation in a normal system consists of a homerun back to the point of origin, i.e., the circuitbreaker panel.service entrance.  This includes the ground.  Circuits should never rely upon the EMT/box combination to provide the safety ground.  Corrosion can interrupt the ground.  I assume that you are not using EMT and are wired with Romex or equivalent.

The big question that I have is the power quality from the inverter.  Some are incredibly dirty when it comes to switching noise and harmonic content.  What type and brand are you using?

Local isolation can be done in several ways.  You can use isolation transformers which are really good IF they are adequate in current capability.  I have a Topaz 2.5KVA that feeds my electronics on a dedicated 20A circuit.  The Topaz is over spec in this application which is fine by me.

Another way is to use local power regeneration like the PS Audio units.  I have used them in the past and found them pretty darned good.

My BUSS Series does an excellent job in providing local clean power, too (insert shameless plug here).  What you should not rely upon are the small "power conditioners".  These are pitifully inadequate in operation.

Something that works pretty well for digital front ends and sources are small 3A isolation transformers.  They effectively keep digital nasties from being fed back down the power cable into the lines.  They usually have 'E' core transformers with limited bandwidths and provide excellent lineborne isolation.

What else?  My brain hurts right now.  :lol: RMAF is kicking my butt already and I'm just in preparations.

Dave

mikeeastman

« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2010, 12:42 am »
Thanks Dave, I have an Outback sine wave, I'm told that is quiet because all the switching happens below 20 hz, not that I have any idea what that means. I will wait till after RAMF to pick your brain some more.

Mike

dBe

• Industry Participant
    • PI audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2010, 03:34 am »
Thanks Dave, I have an Outback sine wave, I'm told that is quiet because all the switching happens below 20 hz, not that I have any idea what that means. I will wait till after RAMF to pick your brain some more.

Mike
Sure thing, Mike.  That is if there is anything lrft to pick!  :wink:

Dave