Looking at a Rowland 102 ICE Amp: What's the view?

Freo-1

Looking at a Rowland 102 ICE Amp: What's the view?
« on: 11 Oct 2010, 12:30 am »
I'm looking at getting a Rowland Model 102 to drive a pair of Source Technologies 227 SE.  Was wondering if anyone has heard the amp, and if so, what were your impressions?

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Looking at a Rowland 102 ICE Amp: What's the vview?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Oct 2010, 12:45 am »
Have not heard the 102 but I have owned the Bel Canto S300 and the PS Audio Trio A-100 which use the same ICE modules. Not sure what the Rowland does differently but FWIW, I enjoyed my time with the BC and PS Audio amps.
Your speakers are totally unfamiliar to me.

Freo-1

Re: Looking at a Rowland 102 ICE Amp: What's the vview?
« Reply #2 on: 11 Oct 2010, 12:54 am »
Have not heard the 102 but I have owned the Bel Canto S300 and the PS Audio Trio A-100 which use the same ICE modules. Not sure what the Rowland does differently but FWIW, I enjoyed my time with the BC and PS Audio amps.
Your speakers are totally unfamiliar to me.

Here is a link to the speakers: (They are made by the same guy who made the JSE infinite slope speakers)

[url]http://www.sourcespeaker.com/266WC.html[url]

The one review I read on it said they liked the build quality of the 102 (along with the sound).

timind

• permanent vacation
Re: Looking at a Rowland 102 ICE Amp: What's the view?
« Reply #3 on: 11 Oct 2010, 01:32 am »
Look like nice speakers there.
As I said they use the same ICE modules so I'd expect they have a very similar sound. The Cary CAA1 amp is another using the ICE Module.

CARY

Rowland

Bel Canto

PS Audio

If you look at the pics you can see the similarities. The differences I see seem to be in the way the input is handled with the PS Audio (my personal favorite) being the most elaborate. I suppose each manufacturer would tout the benefits of some aspect of their amp over the competition. Hard to find negative reviews on any of these amps. You should probably audition a class D amp before purchasing. I for one enjoy class D sound and the green aspect is a bonus.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 11 Oct 2010, 01:59 am »
Thanks, Timind.  I got a whale of a bargin on the speakers.  They really sound nice.

I have heard class D amps (well, sort of).  I used to own a Sony STR DA9000ES,  which had Sony's S-Master Pro digital amp.  While it wasn't a be all to end all, it had some excellent sonic attributes.  So, I do know that class D can sound very good.  There has been some advances since the Sony setup, so I figure it's worth a shot.

Besides, if it turns out I don't like it, I can always put it up on the A'gon.  However, I think it wil be pretty good.

Freo-1

« Reply #5 on: 11 Oct 2010, 06:07 pm »
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Rowland.  The price was too good to pass up.  Will post a review after it arrvies and put it through it's paces.

Thanks for the feedback!

dflee

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2010, 12:39 pm »
Freo
Rally looking forward to your comments on Class D. I have been told that A, A/B have better sustain and D can be brittle or sharp sounding.

Later
Don

Freo-1

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2010, 12:24 pm »
Freo
Rally looking forward to your comments on Class D. I have been told that A, A/B have better sustain and D can be brittle or sharp sounding.

Later
Don

Well, Don, finally got around to connecting the Rowland 102 to the Source Technologies 227s.   The build quality is outstanding, the unit looks slick.  The speaker connectors are great ( I wish more amps had these).
After first powering up the unit, it sounded a bit hard.  So, left the amp on to warm up for a couple of hours.  Went back to listen, and it was MUCH better.  It seems that this unit needs to warm up a bit before it sounds optimum (kind of like tube amps).  Unlike tubes, it can stay on all the time, as it only draws 10 watts at idle. 

The sound: Great imaging and soundstage (wide, deep, and 3-D like).  Instruments had a timbre quality most systems can't achieve.  Piano and horns sounded real, as did vocals.  Most hi-fi rigs fall short on horn reproduction, the Rowland connected to the 227’s sound like real horns.  Bass from the Rowland was better than I expected, in that it was full bodied, accurate, and clean (not bloated).

To say I was surprised is an understatement.  The 277’s and the listening room achieve a synergy that is hard to beat.  The deal I got on this was a real bargain, so I’m most satisfied with this amp.  The knocks against class D may be valid for some units, but not this one.   This amp is very musical, smooth, and not strident.  Definitely worth an audition.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2010, 02:20 pm »
Freo

Later
Don

I was looking at a pair of Magnepan MG12s at a local dealer recently and of coarse he asked me what my amplification was. At that time I was using a pair of the PS Audio Trio A100s in a bi-amp setup. His reaction was that class D has yet to reach hifi levels and was similar to what you stated. I asked him if he had heard any of the ICE based amps and he said "no." He lost all credibility with me at that point.
Harsh is definitely not a descriptor I would use for them. In fact I believe they err on the side of smoothness, if that is an error.
Good to see the amps are working for you Freo.

dflee

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2010, 05:03 pm »
Hey guys, Would like to try an amp with the credentials the Rowland has in my system some day. Am glad D is working for you and gives me hope to give it a try some day. Thanks Freo and Timind and look forward to hearing more from ya.

Later
Don