Wavecore Drivers?

Zerogravity

Wavecore Drivers?
« on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:41 pm »
Does anyone have any input on WaveCore Drivers? I have been reading a few threads on DIY speakers and found this brand. They are supposed to be highend that are reasonably priced. I know the old cliche "you get what you pay for" happens most of the time, but I was curious how their performance compares with some of the higher end drivers such as ScanSpeak Revelator and Seas?

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Wavecore Drivers?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2010, 09:09 pm »
I have two of their tweeters and two of their woofers that a client sent me for testing. I had issues with most of it. I think they would be a good company to use for manufacture of custom variants though.

Zerogravity

« Reply #2 on: 9 Oct 2010, 03:23 pm »
Sorry for the late reply Danny, my Mother fell Ill! I heard a few people talking about Wavecore over at DIY-Audio ,but there was no known testing variables with that particular brand. As far as I know, Zaph, Mark or any of the other people who test drivers havent gotten a hold of these. They are touted as high end on ther site? Well, If anyone would know, you certainly would! As for my choice I am still deciding on a sealed revelator/6600 AirCirc and your N3s. I have heard a revelator design and liked it very much, I havent got a chance to listen to the N3 as of yet, but I would like to, before I buy it! Pesronal issues and financial setbacks delayed my purchase thus far, sorry!

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #3 on: 9 Oct 2010, 04:50 pm »

I have used Wavecor drivers in a couple of 2 way designs : 4.5inch WF110WA01 and the Wavecor 22mm soft dome tweeter, as well as a 6.5inch WF160WA01 neo and the same 22mm dome tweeter.

One 6.5'' woofer had a ratting sound internally when I tested with bass signals, and later returned it to the distributor to be replaced. They sound crisp, detailed, but not as lifelike as Scanspeak drivers. Timbre/tone is slightly leaner and the lower midrange region is not as good as a Scanspeak 18W8531. Freq response of both drivers are fairly ragged, and even though the 4.5'' measures quite flat, it does need some work in the crossover to attenuate some some peaks at 4-5Khz. The 6.5'' can deliver punchy bass in a 20L enclosure but response drops off quickly below 40Hz. This may not be a fair comparison but these Wavecor's come to 80% of a Scanspeak's performance for 1/4 the price. Other than some reliability issues I faced in the 6.5'' midbass, I find them competitively priced and a good value for $$.

Oops almost forgot about the tweeter. Very open sounding, silky and sweet (not as sweet as a Vifa Xt25TG). Fairly average dynamics and needs to be crossed quite steeply. acoustic LR4 @ 3000Hz.

Zerogravity

« Reply #4 on: 17 Oct 2010, 11:55 am »
Thank you for your input! It seems like they offer good performance for the money, however it seems you have to know what you are doing to overcome some of the drivers problems. I know there is a DIY kit using these drivers in a MTM arrangement which supposedly had great performance?