1950's Jazz--Birthday present suggestions?

Lyndon

1950's Jazz--Birthday present suggestions?
« on: 7 Oct 2010, 05:21 pm »
My brother in law's favorite music is 1950's era jazz, and his birthday is coming up next week.  Has there been any noteworthy releases, or re-releases of music in the past year?  He loved that Coltrane boxed set I bought him last year.
Thanks,
Lyndon

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
Re: 1950's Jazz--Birthday present suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Oct 2010, 05:34 pm »
The 1950s was extremely prolific for jazz.  Does your brother-in law have any particular jazz preferences (bop, hard bop, swing, vocals, etc.)?

--Jerome

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #2 on: 7 Oct 2010, 05:38 pm »
I'm not up on what's been released recently but you can't go wrong with anything on the Blue Note Label-- such as Art Blakey or Horace Silver with the Jazz Messengers (Moanin', Song for my Father), Dizzy Gellespie, Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins, Bud Powell, Art Tatum, Joe Henderson (my favorite sax guy), Cannonball Adderley... to name a few.  You should peek to see what he's got first cause it's hard to imagine a 50's jazz guy wouldn't already have most of those artists.     

CSI

« Reply #3 on: 7 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »
Well, he probably probably already has all this stuff but anything from the Miles Davis small group catalog (like Steamin', Cookin', etc.). He likely has a copy of the famous Kind of Blue which has been reissued in all sorts of enhanced audiophile pressings. If you want something a bit more obscure, see if you can find albums by Junior Cook or Herbie Nichols. Fine, under rated players from the decade. IMHO, the best trumpet player from the 50's was Clifford Brown. I really like the album he did with a number of West Coast musicians. And speaking of the West Coast, don't overlook Shelly Manne, Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan (Mulligan being an Easterner who played in the Western "cool" style). You should also consider "popular" jazzmen from the bay area like Dave Brubeck and Cal Tjader. Does he like jazz guitar (who doesn't)? Try Wes Montgomery or Tal Farlow. Want something good but very obscure? See if you can find something from the 50's by Lennie Niehaus (who went on to fame and fortune scoring Clint Eastwood flicks).

Lyndon

« Reply #4 on: 7 Oct 2010, 05:43 pm »
Jerome,
Thank you! I was hoping you were reading AC today.  I think he likes most of it, but it would probably be wise to stay away from hard be-bop
and avante guarde like Varese.  I don't want to buy John Cage's 4:33
of silence. :0) Well, those last two are categorized as classical, really.
I didn't think of it, but I should check NPR's Jazz section.
He has almost ALL of it, Jerome.
No vinyl, he got rid of a great collection a long time ago. I sure missed that boat.
You should peek to see what he's got first cause it's hard to imagine a 50's jazz guy wouldn't already have most of those artists.
He has it all, I am looking for remastered and new packaging.
« Last Edit: 7 Oct 2010, 09:32 pm by Lyndon »

ZLS

« Reply #5 on: 7 Oct 2010, 06:19 pm »
Mosaic Records Box Sets

http://www.mosaicrecords.com/

These fit your description to a T.

Lyndon

« Reply #6 on: 7 Oct 2010, 06:23 pm »
Those look very interesting. I will give them a better look after teaching.
Thanks,
ZLS

Lyndon

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2010, 06:33 pm »
Is there a coffee table book with all those wonderful Blue Note, Verve,
and CTi album covers reproduced in full color?
I know he would love that as well.
Lyndon
Like this:
In the Groove: Vintage Record Graphics 1940-1960
http://www.amazon.com/Groove-Vintage-Record-Graphics-1940-1960/dp/0811821218

jazzcourier

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2010, 08:20 pm »
 The Francis Wolff photographs on the Mosaic website are  wonderful.....  images of Trane and Miles.....  The nice thing about a gift like that is that it does not become "another" CD or boxset that gets listened to and filed away-it becomes part of the environment and is a constant reminder of you being a cool guy with taste........They are about 100.00 each and combined with a lovely bottle of wine might make a nice gift.Then again he might dig that Dizzy box set too............Mosaic gift certificate?  Francis Wolff opened the door on that East coast 50's  black and white photography with those images from those Bluenote sessions.

Lyndon

« Reply #9 on: 7 Oct 2010, 09:09 pm »
The nice thing about a gift like that is that it does not become "another" CD or boxset that gets listened to and filed away
So true!
I'm going for the Blue Note two volumes of their album covers.  Then I will look at NPR's listing of new jazz and maybe give him a new flavor.
Thanks a lot for the help, guys!
Lyndon

jsaliga

• Restricted
  • Vinyl Provocateur
    • The Spinning Record
« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:10 am »
I'm going to assume that spending up to $75 isn't going overboard.  I won't recommend any of the big names since your borther-in law is likely to already have them if he is any sort of jazz fan.  Allow me, then, to suggest any of the following, either individually or in combination.

Shelly Manne & His Friends - Modern Jazz Performances of Songs from Li'l Abner

Shelly Manne made a name for himself as the drummer in Stan Kenton's 1940s big band.  This is a trio session with Andre Previn on Piano and Leroy Vinegar on double bass.  It's an incredible album, reissued here on CD by Original Jazz Classics.

The Complete Norman Granz Jam Sessions

This 5 CD boxed set features a collection of artists that Granz took on the road in his Jazz at the Philharmonic series of live shows.  This set collects all the studio jam sessions they did, so the sound quality is absolutely great.  You get the likes of Lester Young, Charlie Parker, Dizzy Gillespie, Lionel Hampton, Johnny Hodges, Illinois Jacquet, Ben Webster, and many others.  The best $60 you'll ever spend on jazz.

The Complete Lionel Hampton Quartets and Quintets with Oscar Peterson on Verve

This 5 CD set is absolutely smokin' hot.  Peterson and Hampton tear it up like no one else.  The packaging on this set leaves something to be desired (the discs are hard to get out of the cardboard sleeves) but the music is absolutely must have stuff for anyone who is a fan of 1950s small group swing.

Hampton Hawes - Everybody Likes Hampton Hawes

Hawes was a great jazz pianist who led a trio for a number of years and appeared as sideman on dozens of important jazz recordings.  This one is a solid entry from his trio days and it's available as a CD reissue from Original Jazz Classics.

The Jimmy Heath Orchestra - Really Big!

Jimmy Heath was an underrated tenor saxophonist who briefly led a big band into the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Oliver Nelson - Screamin' the Blues

Aside from Blues and Abstract Truth (another great album with Nelson and Eric Dolphy) Oliver Nelson is the sort of musician that slips under the radar of a lot of jazz fans.  He was perhaps most noted as a big band leader and arranger in the 1960s up until his tragic death in 1975.  Another excellent reissue from OJC.

The Complete Blue Note Recordings of Herbie Nichols

Another brilliant jazz pianist who is under appreciated by most jazz fans.  This 3 CD boxed set collects every track his trio laid down for Blue Note.  Worth every penny.  Excellent liner notes too.

--Jerome

Lyndon

« Reply #11 on: 8 Oct 2010, 12:17 am »
Thank you, Jerome.
You always have interesting and off the main road suggestions that usually pan out pretty well for my ears.
I will check those albums out.  I love that Li'l Abner cover on the first one. :thumb:
Lyndon

R_burke

« Reply #12 on: 8 Oct 2010, 06:04 pm »

Lyndon

« Reply #13 on: 8 Oct 2010, 07:33 pm »
R_burke,
That is a great t-shirt! But also out of stock. My brother-in-law is old school New York. In 30 years, I have never seen him in any t-shirt.
Casual for him means a polo shirt. :o
Jerome,
Those were some great record suggestions. I had already bought my brother-in-law those jazz photo books, but I bought two of your suggestions for myself. I may have that big box set of Lionel Hampton
in my vinyl. But I have not opened several boxes in more than a year.
Trying to revamp my very small house into a better listening environment. I so envy you guys who have the room to have separate places for home theater and one dedicated strictly for music.
Lyndon

drphoto

« Reply #14 on: 10 Oct 2010, 11:44 pm »
This guy must be a hell of a brother-in-law!  Maybe you could find a print of that Art Kane photo. What a great image. I've always like Kane's work. A big print could be the perfect addition to a jazz fan's listening room.

Lyndon

« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2010, 12:14 am »
drphoto,
He is a good guy.  When I came home from teaching two years ago and found that someone had broken in and stolen the flat panel tv, my laptop, the expensive headphones, all my mp3 players, along with the digital cameras as well as my old school cameras (Canon, Nikon, Minolta), he cut me a check just under 5 grand.  Like I said, he's a good guy.
The Art Kane web site is pretty sweet.  I didn't know he took that photo of The Who.
http://www.artkane.com/
(first photo that comes up under music)
Jerome got me with those suggestions above, and I just got back from Best Buy 'cause they were blowing out the 'Stones dvd concert sets.  Hey, there has to be some good performances for a 4 dvd set for $4.99.  :thumb:

drphoto

« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2010, 01:12 am »
Glad you like the site. Kane was amazing. That 'new faces of rock' photo was obviously pre photoshop, so they had to build those plexi boxes. I remember reading a story about it. I still think that shot of Dylan in the corner is one of the all time greats.

I'd say, go for a big print of the Harlem group! I agree w/ the earlier poster who said a piece of art, or coffee table book will be something that stands out daily and not get lost in the shuffle.

BTW: good to hear your sister chose so wisely.

Best to you both.