The Beatles - USB Limited Edition

whanafi

Re: The Beatles - USB Limited Edition
« Reply #20 on: 8 Oct 2010, 06:27 pm »
Yes I have to say I find the USB a bit disappointing.

james
Do you mean in general, or compared to the same music on a CD or ripped to FLAC?

If it is the first OK, but if it is the latter, Houston we have a problem.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #21 on: 8 Oct 2010, 06:51 pm »
Do you mean in general, or compared to the same music on a CD or ripped to FLAC?

If it is the first OK, but if it is the latter, Houston we have a problem.

Hi 

I have the re-mastered CD's as well which I also found disappointing.  Even within the same record there seems to be a large variance from cut to cut.  I like the Abbey Road record the best as most of the cuts sound well balanced.

I thought maybe the analog masters on the USB (44.1K/24B) would sound more dynamic (don’t mean louder) and more balanced than it does. Don’t get me wrong there is a real sense of being on the recording floor with the ‘fav four’ but there is a rawness to it that seems to take away from the pleasure of listening.

I think on a high-resolution audio system the blemishes are more evident.  I have only tried it on my Thiel setup so far so I am going to give it a go on the Sanders Electrostatics as well and see what I think.

james

yyz

« Reply #22 on: 9 Oct 2010, 06:42 pm »
James,

Are your CD remasters the ones from last year? I bought the Mono remaster box set last year and they sounded better than any Beatles music I have heard before. I had the 80's or 90's stereo CD's before. I also had many LP's as a kid but I could not stand the worn out LP's and the associated hiss and ticks.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #23 on: 9 Oct 2010, 08:11 pm »
James,

Are your CD remasters the ones from last year? I bought the Mono remaster box set last year and they sounded better than any Beatles music I have heard before. I had the 80's or 90's stereo CD's before. I also had many LP's as a kid but I could not stand the worn out LP's and the associated hiss and ticks.

Hi

Yes they are the recent version.  Maybe I am being to hard on the guys. I just like the Beatles and was hoping I was going to be blown away with the reissues. I have to say some of the cuts are really great and bring tears to my eyes as I remember all the people and places they remind me of :D

Also they do sound better on the Sanders Electrostatic speakers.

James

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #24 on: 10 Oct 2010, 08:12 pm »
Do you have the original vinyl, James? And have you tried it?

jklowan

« Reply #25 on: 14 Oct 2010, 06:37 pm »
I also have the Beatles Mono remaster & a bryston Thiel set-up and I think that they sound fantastic, miles better than the previous cd versions.

St Peppers in mono is really really cool and the mono remasters don't suffer from the fake sounding right, left speaker problems the stereo disc's do IMHO

I will agree with your fav of the remasters :)

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 14 Oct 2010, 10:57 pm »
I have the CD box sets in Mono and Stereo with Bryston/Thiel and I agree they are much better than the prior CD versions.  I also like the mono

Napalm

« Reply #27 on: 15 Oct 2010, 05:40 pm »
I can't stand Beatles anymore.

They've been largely overplayed.

Nap.

:peek: