Support your local live venue

mojoman

« on: 2 Mar 2004, 10:14 pm »
There's a bunch of great live music coming up if you live in the Triangle area, or want to make the drive.

At the Cat's Cradle in Carboro:

3/4 - Dirty Dozen Brass Band
3/5 - Junior Brown
3/26 - North Mississippi Allstars
3/28 - Clarence Gatemouth Brown
4/3 - Tift Merritt
4/21 - Stereolab

At the Lincoln Theater in Raleigh:

3/3 - Big Head Todd and the Monsters
3/6 - Railroad Earth - this is going to be a great show
3/9 - Eric Johnson - all acoustic set
3/18 - Parliment Funkedelic
3/24 - Tony Rice Unit - I'll be at this one for sure
4/1 - Derek Trucks Band - he always sells out so get tickets early
4/2 - Acoustic Syndicate
4/16 - Leon Russell
5/7 - David Allen Coe
6/12 - Robert Cray Band

There's something here for everyone but the most demented.  Turn off your stereos and check out some outstanding live music.

Hantra

« Reply #1 on: 2 Mar 2004, 11:57 pm »

Me too.  Do people have any respect for the artists at the Lincoln Theater?  I will never go to the Pour House again for an acoustic show.  What sucks is I'll probably never even get another opportunity to see Tony with Peter.

I wouldn't mind seeing Trucks too, but I am disappointed in his most recent disc.  Not sure if I would like it. . .

Thanks for the heads-up. . .

hometheaterdoc

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 3 Mar 2004, 12:08 am »
I can't believe you skipped over Great Big Sea!!!

Lincoln Theater

April 6 - Great Big Sea w/The Push Stars

If you want a good time, come to the Great Big Kitchen Party!!!

A stupendously great band from Newfoundland...  celtic, rock, beer drinkin' music...  The place will be packed and partying hard....  the Canadians (and converted Americans) will be out in force!!

In case you hadn't guessed, I will be there with at least 4 of my female Great Big Sea lovin' friends!  Don't miss it!!

Shane

Hantra

« Reply #3 on: 3 Mar 2004, 12:16 am »
Hahahah!!  I feel like a moron. . .

I was listening to you talk about them, and I was thinking it was BIG "C" instead. . .

I don't know man. . Sometimes I wonder. . Even about myself. .  :lol:

Inscrutable

• http://home.earthlink.net/~inscrutabl/index.html
« Reply #4 on: 3 Mar 2004, 11:56 am »
We're taking a group to Tift.  For a more intimate setting where you can actually hear the music and talk to the musicians, try the Six String Cafe in Cary.  Robbin Thompson ought to be coming back around soon (he cancelled his January show).

mojoman

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2004, 02:44 pm »
Quote from: Hantra

.. Do people have any respect for the artists at the Lincoln Theater?

Thanks for the heads-up. . .

That's hard to say because each crowd is different.  I saw Al DiMeola there and 95% of his set was acoustic and the crowd was very well mannered.  He doesn't play loud due to a  tinnitus problem. They were good for India Arie also.

I'll probably go see Derek Trucks although weeknights are harder to do.  I really like his last cd myself.  I saw him there last fall and the show was excellent although it was uncomfortably crowded (soldout).  I was down front to start but you couldn't move so I found a spot at the back of the theater.  Sound system is good there.

mdconnelly

Whatever happened to Robbin Thompson
« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2004, 08:27 pm »
Quote from: Inscrutable
...  Robbin Thompson ought to be coming back around soon (he cancelled his January show).

Now there's a name from the past (or at least my past)... I used to go to hear him at the Pier in Raleigh (and in Richmond) many years ago but haven't heard anything about him in a long time.   What's the lastest news?

mojoman

Re: Whatever happened to Robbin Thompson
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2004, 09:18 pm »
Quote from: mdconnelly
Quote from: Inscrutable
...  Robbin Thompson ought to be coming back around soon (he cancelled his January show).

I used to go to hear him at the Pier in Raleigh...

The Pier, another blast from the past.  That was a great venue, you could go get a burger, get a pitcher (or 2 or 3) and listen to some great live music.  I miss that place.