Battle of the Titans: VMPS 626R vs. Quad 988!

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Background
« Reply #2 on: 2 Mar 2004, 05:34 am »

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2004, 05:47 am »
We all know you make great speakers....now to let the rest of the world know!!

Larry

lkosova

• http://www.AutomatedHomeandBusiness.com
« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2004, 05:56 am »
Err....B,

Didn't you tell him that you put a small person with a piano in every pair of 626r's??????

Larry

mcrespo71

« Reply #5 on: 2 Mar 2004, 06:19 am »
Man, I thought this was a review from a magazine! :x
I'm happy for you that the guy liked your speakers the best.  I don't agree, but we've all got different tastes.  I have never heard them right next to one another, but I've spent a good deal of time with both to have formed an opinion one way or another.  Nonetheless, I still think the 626R is a very good speaker, so don't take it the wrong way, but I personally would not put them at the same level as the Quads.

Michael

John B

« Reply #6 on: 2 Mar 2004, 11:35 am »
personally would not put them at the same level as the Quads.

Neither would I, two different styles of presentation, two different sonic experiences.  Both my wife & I felt we had the more musically involving and enjoyable experience with the 626Rs.   Which is the only "level" that has any true value for this audiophile  :)

mcrespo71

« Reply #7 on: 2 Mar 2004, 07:00 pm »
I absolutely agree.  Whatever sounds best to your ear, is unequivocally the best for you.  It's also nice when the best product to you is the less expensive one.  I LOVE it when that happens! 8)

Michael

John B

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2004, 03:34 am »
It's also nice when the best product to you is the less expensive one. I LOVE it when that happens!  

It is a thing of of love for sure; though just like with my car, sticker price started out real nice, until I started adding all the available extras  :P  But where's the fun in a bare bones model right  :mrgreen:

John B

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2004, 03:58 pm »
:mrgreen:  I done went and pulled the trigger!  I've got a 626R on order, with FST tweet, TRT cap upgrade and sound coat treatment.  I am so stoked!  Gonna have it burned in at the factory, so it'll be a few weeks before sonic nirvana returns to my place.   In the mean time there's still work to do, I still haven't figured out what to do about amplifcation; the burn in time will give me the chance to carefully consider my choices in this area.  

I really appreciate Brian taking the time to have me over for several auditions at his place, the last being the most important, as the "boss" was with me to either bless or nix my speaker choice.   Twas a bless...thanks again Brian!