Building a bookshelf speaker using LS6/9 woofers - Help needed!

freerider

I'm interested in building a pair of bookshelf speakers using my extra LS6/9 woofers. 

My immediate concerns are:
Cabinet - is it possible to simply model a sub enclosure for the woofer, and seal off part of the box for a tweeter or Neo 8?

Tweeter - Should I use a Standard dome tweeter, Neo 8, or LS6/9 style Neo 8?

Crossover - ???

Danny Richie

A single Neo 8 will have limited vertical dispersion and is really best suited for a line source.

The impedance of these woofers are really low so you will need to run two of them in series. Sensitivity is going to be real low too. It will be in the 83 to 84db range using them in a monitor.

Crossover, now that is a whole new can of worms.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel

freerider

A single Neo 8 will have limited vertical dispersion and is really best suited for a line source.

Oh, that's right. :duh:  I guess I was looking at your N1,N2x, etc, and thinking of that type of speaker with the Neo 3 PDR's.

I'm thinking a dome tweeter will not have a low enough frequency response to match well with the M165 XBL2.

Quote from: Danny
The impedance of these woofers are really low so you will need to run two of them in series. Sensitivity is going to be real low too. It will be in the 83 to 84db range using them in a monitor.

I looked around on GR Research and Parts Express...doesn't seem like I'm going to find a tweeter to match that low of an sensitivity.

So, maybe these woofers would be better used as paper weights?

dvenardos

Build the line array sub for fun and donate it to a friend / relative?

freerider

Now that would be a nice gift.