Servo sub build...Front or down-firing?

Plund

Servo sub build...Front or down-firing?
« on: 4 Oct 2010, 02:43 am »
I am planning my next build to compliment/support my pair of N3 towers (Ok, so I like bass!)   :)  I am leaning towards a single GR SW12-08 driver with the A370PEQ amp...In the future I could use this amp to drive an additional SW12-08 if I feel the need.  With an enclosure supported on 6" legs, I am leaning towards down-firing configuration.  Are there compelling reasons to have Front or Down-firing?  Thanks all in advance for your input!

Plund

se-riously

Re: Servo sub build...Front or down-firing?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:11 am »
I know that Brian at Rythmik typically recommends down firing subs only on solid surfaces (like carpet on concrete).

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2010, 02:02 pm »
I like up-firing! :green:

HT cOz

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2010, 04:25 pm »
I like up-firing! :green:

Corndog,

You need a pic gallery of that build.  Very creative, was it hard to pull off?

NeilT

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2010, 04:29 pm »
I know that Brian at Rythmik typically recommends down firing subs only on solid surfaces (like carpet on concrete).

Brian recommended front firing for music, when I built mine.

Neil

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:00 pm »

Corndog,

You need a pic gallery of that build.  Very creative, was it hard to pull off?

Funny that you mention that.  Here's my old post about it.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=69124.msg641494#msg641494

Plund

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2010, 02:33 am »
My sub will be sitting on carpet, not with concrete but with plywood sub-floor...looks like front-firing might be the correct recipe for me. One of the reasons I was favoring down-firing was to lazily avoid building a grill... my 2-month old grandson will be mobile soon enough and speaker drivers are entirely too interesting for curious minds and fingers to avoid :wink:

Corndog,  that is a great-looking sub...I'm sure it is rock-solid!  I also share the sentiment it would best be finished stained/sealed to preserve the laminated look.

Plund