from where to download?

BobC

from where to download?
« on: 1 Oct 2010, 06:17 pm »
So, where do you guys download albums, legally?

I want new stuff.  Pop / alt / rock.  16/44.1 wav or flac is fine.

Seems like sites like HD tracks offer a very limited catalog.  I can download pop suff from Amazon, but it's all MP3. 

No apple files please.

I think I'd even pay a slight premium over physical disc prices.... :o

thanks   :thumb:

nunhgrader

Re: from where to download?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:00 pm »
I love quality so I still prefer disc (for selection) - I use emusic but, they are generally 192kbps mp3 [dreaded] - I think the quality is fair for the price. I pay around $20 a month for 50 downloads. They have tons of new albums in almost all genres each and every month. They also had a lot of crap like greatest hit albums that have been re-recorded without half the original band members - so beware! My fellow users usually have great comments and additions to the forums that spell out which selections are the real deal.

I have not used itunes except to gather free podcasts - which can be an excellent way to experience new music legally. I search many blogs as well that have limited releases, re-releases, and demo sneak peaks - quality can be sketchy to say the least.

Yes - mp3

BobC

« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:02 pm »
So its lossy, right?

What is the codec?  192kbps MP3?

Looks like Rhapsody, no?

BobC

« Reply #3 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:09 pm »
OK, I see emusic is MP3.

nunhgrader

« Reply #4 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:23 pm »

BobC

« Reply #5 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:45 pm »
Thanks!

A step in the right direction, but still limited on content.   :|

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #6 on: 1 Oct 2010, 09:55 pm »

I think I'd even pay a slight premium over physical disc prices.... :o

I'm sure you have your reasons but I don't understand this. I tell my daughter to let me know before she downloads albums so we can buy the physical media and I'll store it. Seh doesn't always listen to me on that though.

BobC

« Reply #7 on: 7 Oct 2010, 06:57 am »
I too, prefer to have the disc.  But sometimes (most times) I dont have time to go shopping.  I'd like a quick and easy way to buy pop / rock / alt albums online.  Like go to billboard.com and click "buy".  Get a drop down allowing me to choose codec and compression scheme, e.g. buy > flac > 16/44.1 or 24/96....that would be awsome.  Maybe I'd may a $1 or $2 premium over hardcopy price for such convenience...but more importantly I'd probably buy more albums as impulse purchases while surfing the net.

bprice2

« Reply #8 on: 7 Oct 2010, 05:40 pm »
Rhino has a good collection of lossless downloads, but I haven't purchase from them.  The website seems a bit clunky, though.  Check it out.

http://www.rhino.com/shop/format/Digital