« on: 30 Sep 2010, 09:47 pm »
Hello all I am looking for thoughts on Surround Speakers Placement and Kind
I am using
L & R Parradigm Studio 40s
Paradigm CC Center
2 SVS SB12 subs one on each end of TV stand
My 40's sit on top of the SVS subs
The Rear speakers sit on end tables next to the couch
My couch is agains the back wall so the rears are ear level angled in slightly aiming to eachother
The placement of the rear speakers seam very directonal - would dipole rears work in this location to help difuse the surround ?

I made a (BAD ) quick sketch so ya get the idea of layout
What are your thoughts
Thanks Ant~

Antman27

Re: Surround Speakers Placement and Kind
« Reply #1 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:41 pm »
No Thoughts ?

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #2 on: 1 Oct 2010, 07:45 pm »
The biggest change you can make for better surround is to get the seating away from the wall.  As long as the speakers are right next to you and down at ear level, you're not going to get away from a directional sound nor have a rear surround field.  Dipoles won't fix this.

Bryan

Antman27

« Reply #3 on: 3 Oct 2010, 12:50 am »
Moving my couch out from the back wall is not an option my apt is very narrow
i think I am gona try and move them out off the end tables and put them on taller stands

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 3 Oct 2010, 01:33 am »
I'd get them rear speakers off the end tables and on the walls, up towards the ceiling and away from the couch. They could actually be mounted on the side walls opposite the couch. I think in these positions(especially the side walls), bipoles/dipoles might work nicely tho I've never used them myself so I can't say from experience. When surround sound 1st came out, the optimal position for rear speakers were high up on the rear wall close to the ceiling of normal height. With my old HR setup, I had bookshelves mounted this way and the surround sound was stellar. I now have identical floorstanders, front & rear and now have the rears hugging the rear wall corners.

I also fully agree with Brian in that moving that couch out into the room would make a huge improvement so it's ashame it's not an option.

Cheers,
Robin

Antman27

« Reply #5 on: 4 Oct 2010, 05:50 pm »
How High should thet be ?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2010, 06:05 pm »
An apartment option would be to place them face up toward the ceiling and outboard and diffuse the sound that way.  Much like the Omni speakers.

Either way, the diffuse sound we expect to hear behind us, enveloping us in a sense of "being there", will most likely not be had in this scenario.

Antman27

« Reply #7 on: 5 Oct 2010, 12:27 am »
Hummm I am gona try and lay them on there backs tonight (on the end tables ) pointing at the ceiling and see what thats like