A Simple Question

gongos

A Simple Question
« on: 29 Sep 2010, 06:58 pm »
I have my listening room downstairs, but need a quality all in one system for my wife upstairs.

All it needs to do is sound decent, not take up much space and work w/ squeezecenter.

Has anyone found a good solution along these lines?

TomS

Re: A Simple Question
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2010, 07:21 pm »
Powered speakers like the Audioengine 5 work great and will also accept an iPod or Airport Express direct in.  2 inputs.

Mariusz

« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2010, 10:03 pm »
I have my listening room downstairs, but need a quality all in one system for my wife upstairs.

All it needs to do is sound decent, not take up much space and work w/ squeezecenter.

Has anyone found a good solution along these lines?

Is it computer based, desktop system?
What is needed to complete this system?
Integrated amplifier DAC, speakers, CD player etc?

More information/requirements you share with us, better advise fellow members will be able to give. 

gongos

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2010, 10:25 pm »

Is it computer based, desktop system?
What is needed to complete this system?
Integrated amplifier DAC, speakers, CD player etc?

More information/requirements you share with us, better advise fellow members will be able to give.

Desktop, need a squeezebox/speakers/and something to power them.

Mariusz

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2010, 11:08 pm »
The easiest and most wife friendly system would be IMO:

Squeezebox Touch

and above mentioned powered Audioengine speakers - no amp needed (there are few models to choose from)

Mariusz :thumb:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2010, 11:36 pm »
Powered speakers like the Audioengine 5 work great and will also accept an iPod or Airport Express direct in.  2 inputs.

Can't argue with that.  Very decent sound for the money.  I love mine, but just use them with my computer.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2010, 11:52 pm »
The Squeezebox Touch + Audioengine 2 or 5 would sound better, play louder and allow for greater stereo speaker separation, but this might also fit the bill for your wife depending on her perceptions and SRAI (sound reproduction appreciation index):

Steve

Squeezebox Boom

gongos

« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:08 am »
The Squeezebox Touch + Audioengine 2 or 5 would sound better, play louder and allow for greater stereo speaker separation, but this might also fit the bill for your wife depending on her perceptions and SRAI (sound reproduction appreciation index):

Steve

Squeezebox Boom

My wife could care less.

Mariusz

« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2010, 12:28 am »
In that case, here is even cheaper solution ($133 from Amazon):

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2010, 08:37 am »
Another that is similar.....

Kanto iPair 5...

Review...

Video...

dvenardos

« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm »
I have an old version of the Cambridge Soundworks table radio that I use in my bedroom/office when working and for listening to podcasts at night. The sound is surprisingly good.
http://store.cambridgesoundworks.com/Cambridge-SoundWorks-i525-AMFM-table-radio/M/B003HEK4FW.htm

dvenardos

« Reply #11 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:16 pm »
Another option which I setup for my grandmother with her TV because it had really crappy sound and she couldn't hear the dialog very well anymore, the Gizmo/WAF-1 combo is on clearance at TCAAudio. The WAF-1 is a good speaker designed by Danny Richie and at this closeout price is just an insanely good deal. The Gizmo is a tripath based amp and sounds good paired with the WAF-1. You can just leave the Gizmo on all the time (that is what I have my grandmother do) as it doesn't draw much juice. The only bug you have to be aware of is it have a voltage limit on the input that is too low so with some sources you might have to get a set of attenuators.
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/

Mariusz

« Reply #12 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm »
Or something more classy :scratch:

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #13 on: 30 Sep 2010, 11:52 pm »
Blatant self promotion alert

How about a pair of these

I have them listed on ebay.

But seriously, they are very good with my ipod touch hooked to them.